1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I generally stick to CXL, especially in inclement weather. Not that shell isnt durable.

Funny enough my most complemented pairs remain my suede boots.

2. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Epaulet Cotton Cashmere Driggs?

Love these pants but my size is gone. Actually considering sizing down 1 and seeing if they fit. Still no experience with Driggs thou so Im worried.

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Yes, they are. I cannot recommend them enough. They are like sweatpants (seriously).

The Driggs is really not that tapered at all. I would order the size down and see how they work. you can:

1. easily have the waist and seat adjusted a bit
    2. return to EP for full refund if you don't like them

I know for certain that Mike will never run these again. I did an MTO for each color and it was the last of the fabric available

4. rosslovethreads

rosslovethreads Senior member

I've been considering the same as my second pair of Aldens. I don't really have any interest in non-shell stuff, so #8 Indys would be a solid bad weather boot. People baby shell due to the premium, not because it isn't capable. I feel cxl boots lose their shape so quickly and that was always a deterrent for me on indys. Love the way they look brand new, but one week in and they look shapeless. Shell won't do that.

So now I just have to find #8 Indys in B width with brass eyelets :p

5. sazon

sazon Senior member

So money and you don't even know it...

6. sazon

sazon Senior member

They look awesome.

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Oh. He knows.

1 person likes this.
  8. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Chromexcel is certainly more supple, but shell will definitely crease and change its look over time especially after greater use as a "beater." Both have great character in their patina, particularly with the Indy.

9. ReppTiePrepster

They indeed, look great, even in the dark. Enjoy them often and in great health my friend!

10. ReppTiePrepster

Certainly one of its best as it is an Alden original. Looking good NY'er!

11. ReppTiePrepster

Exceptional strong ensemble my friend! You look extremely comfortable and fashionable...

12. katch

katch Senior member

Quote:Thank you . My experience with the Aberdeen in a 10C is that it is slightly wide on my right (larger foot) and even moreso on my left. the width of the shoe leads to the foot moving further to the front of the shoe and toes being very crowded or even to the front. I think the smaller width and longer shoe may be the way to go.

13. rosslovethreads

Even as a "beater" I assume they would be tree'd and brushed regularly; however, I don't want a "beater". I simply want a bad weather boot that I can wear in the drizzle without guilt. Cxl seems to go flat really quickly, even with trees and regular brushing. It's just a consequence of regular wear on the supple leather. I don't have indys, though, so I can't say I know for certain. I do own cxl shoes, though.

Regarding the recommendation for OP, you wouldn't say shell is more structurally integral than cxl? Not a rhetorical or sarcastic question, I'd genuinely appreciate your opinion.

14. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Of note, cordovan vs. leather:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  15. adamf009

adamf009 Well-Known Member

Alden x Epaulet #8 Brixton
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. katch

katch Senior member

Quote:Beautiful. In my opinion this is the nicest Alden boot

17. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

#8 shortwings with a dark brown suit:

[​IMG]

18. rosslovethreads

Is there any discernible difference between the Epaulet Brixton and Unionmade Halleck?

19. ReppTiePrepster

Shell will hold its shape better than Chromexcel, but I don't think the chromexcel "deflates" in shape with minimal use. Now if you have the unlined dover in chrmxl, that shoe will definitely fold/deflate almost overnight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I've gotten a good bit of foul weather use out of both my 403 and chrmxl LWBs. With the exception of some creasing/wrinkling in the vamp, both have held there shape nicely.

20. ReppTiePrepster

Nice comparison. The only thing I would say though, is that I doubt both of those shoes/boots that were compared experienced similar use (or abuse) over its lifetime. This is certainly accurate though, with regard to how each develops over time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.