• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profligate47

Reaction score
Today, first time out of doors:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Horween blog posted some pics from inside the Alden factory:

http://horween.com/101/alden-shoe-company/#more-1533

And the "H" in LHS really does stand for handsewn. I remember reading that all of the LHS are stitched by one of three ladies, so here is one of them in action:
Recycled content. They posted those already.

Picked these up today.

What is everyone's pre-treatment advice for Natural Chromexcel?

TIA.
None. They are ready to wear.

totalair1

Reaction score

yep! just squeezed a tiny bit of juice on the stain and let it sit for 10 mins and then dobbed it with warm water

Wow that's sweet news, well maybe sour but still good! Based on your post it appears to be hand squeezed which is probably more effective. I'm honestly impressed with this fix! Certainly a great way to get rid of a oil based stain. A few years ago my dog knocked over a glass of red wine on a brand new expensive hand woven rug. The fix was to pour white wine on it and it worked perfectly,

See Ya,
Steve

irishcafe

Reaction score
Just received my first ever Alden in the mail earlier this week, the #8 PTB. Tho I am a LWB and SWB lover, I opted for the PTB this time for the versatility. But I know either the LWB or the SWB+Commando Sole from AOC will be my next in the very near future. The moment I open the box and see the shoes I know that I'll have many more to come!

One downside is that there is a very tiny and unnoticeable scratch around the ankle of the shoes. I will try to brush it out and see how shell performs over scratch as I know that I'll be wearing these PTB quite a lot for the upcoming conferences and seminars.

Pics later...:slayer::slayer::slayer:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just received my first ever Alden in the mail earlier this week, the #8 PTB.
Tho I am a LWB and SWB lover, I opted for the PTB this time for the versatility. But I know either the LWB or the SWB+Commando Sole from AOC will be my next in the very near future. The moment I open the box and see the shoes I know that I'll have many more to come!

One downside is that there is a very tiny and unnoticeable scratch around the ankle of the shoes. I will try to brush it out and see how shell performs over scratch as I know that I'll be wearing these PTB quite a lot for the upcoming conferences and seminars.

Pics later...:slayer::slayer::slayer:

Good choice.

circleslife

Reaction score
Just received my first ever Alden in the mail earlier this week, the #8 PTB.
Tho I am a LWB and SWB lover, I opted for the PTB this time for the versatility. But I know either the LWB or the SWB+Commando Sole from AOC will be my next in the very near future. The moment I open the box and see the shoes I know that I'll have many more to come!

Pics later...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
#8 PTB is the best. I wear it more than any other Alden's. Congrats and wear it in good health.

Last edited:

docalden2013

Reaction score
^ +1. Color 8 PTB is King of the Kings.
I hear you guys on this. The ptb best shows off the sheen and patina of shell. But, I still struggle with christening it as the ultimate Alden shoe. I still think I'd take the 975 as my most useful color 8 shoe. (I still think I have a bias toward more ornamented shoes; I realize that others see it the opposite way, with the simplicity of the ptb making it most versatile). Accordingly, I made sure to have both in the stable.

SCoNE

Reaction score
Hey, I picked up this pair of Brooks Brothers shoes which I believe are Aldens. They're basically identical to a pair of Alden 683 Loafers that I picked up, including nail pattern on the heel. However, the sizing format printed in the Brooks Bros shoes are inconsistent with the Aldens (Don't have the over/under format on width) and they don't have the "683" style number. I just wanted to confirm what I have here! Would these designations change because they're for Brooks? Thanks!

irishcafe

Reaction score

But if it's unnoticeable, how'd you notice it? 
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

Sharp eyes. lol.

Good choice.

#8 PTB is the best. I wear it more than any other Alden's. Congrats and wear it in good health.

^ +1.  Color 8 PTB is King of the Kings.

Thank you all!

I hear you guys on this. The ptb best shows off the sheen and patina of shell. But, I still struggle with christening it as the ultimate Alden shoe. I still think I'd take the 975 as my most useful color 8 shoe. (I still think I have a bias toward more ornamented shoes; I realize that others see it the opposite way, with the simplicity of the ptb making it most versatile). Accordingly, I made sure to have both in the stable.

I think I am on the same boat as you on the favoritism over brogues, and I never thoguht I'd actually like PTBs, but I do now. 975 is almost definitely my pair.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hey All, love the discussion on the LHSes today. I actually went with my Whiskey LHS today.

Yes, I believe that it is the Epaulet factory tour in which they show the ladies sewing shoes by hand. I remember them talking about the NST in particular being significantly more time consuming.

I do not typically wear Aldens with shorts, I do not know why, but it just strikes me as a little odd. But if I were, I would probably only do it with a LHS or something in Suede.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
From yesterday (Tuesday). Cigar LWB.

I wasn't planning to wear these shoes yesterday, but I decided to go with the gray, blue, and brown socks. The gray and blue corresponded with the suit (gray with a blue plaid pattern inlaid) and tie (light blue), so I had to go Cigar with the brown... :) Cigar belt of course! But trying not to post what can construed as a crotch shot...

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Today was all about the Whiskey... Because it IS Whiskey Wednesday after all!

Went with navy slacks and my Whiskey Shell belt. Decided to go sans coat and tie today.

These bad boys really didn't fit me very well, despite being the same exact size as 3 other pairs of LHSes in my closet. They are noticeably wider than my other pairs and just slightly longer. I check the box and the shoes 3 times to verify that they are both labeled correctly... I was thinking of selling them, but then in a last ditch effort, I tried insoles on them, and they now fit absolutely perfectly! So I am very excited to get these guys more tied into my rotation.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads