• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LeatherSoul is probably the most difficult retailer to buy shoes from over the phone/via the internet... They are unique in that they seem to have a huge in-store base of customers that actually originates from the entire West Coast and much of Asia, so obviously they have a lot of in-store demand to fill, and they tend to take care of those customers (which is fine). I've purchased Aldens from them here and there, as well as other products, and I am on a few preorders and will continue to look for products from them. When I actually am able to purchase shoes from them, shipping is fast and the packages tend to include extras (trees, notepads, shoe polish, etc). I've always been treated well by the folks I deal with there.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LeatherSoul is probably the most difficult retailer to buy shoes from over the phone/via the internet... They are unique in that they seem to have a huge in-store base of customers that actually originates from the entire West Coast and much of Asia, so obviously they have a lot of in-store demand to fill, and they tend to take care of those customers (which is fine). I've purchased Aldens from them here and there, as well as other products, and I am on a few preorders and will continue to look for products from them. When I actually am able to purchase shoes from them, shipping is fast and the packages tend to include extras (trees, notepads, shoe polish, etc). I've always been treated well by the folks I deal with there.

Agreed. Several years ago, I bought six pair of Alden's from them during an 18 month period. I dealt mostly with Bryan who I thought was great to work with. When I made calls to the shop in HI, while not being treated rudely, I was told that most of their shoes go to their "regualr customers". To be clear, they were not rude or disrespectful, just sort of matter of fact about it.

Techdaddy

Reaction score
These are all I have but not really in the wild...

I'm not really a boot person, but these are great; very versatile! Although I love the exotic shell offerings, I've come to the conclusion that color 8, while common and widely available, is king!
nod[1].gif

Just ordered a pair from jcrew, should be at my door Friday! :)

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH I have only purchased one pair of Aldens from LS. Oki took a lot of time with me on the phone which was appreciated. I always understood there to be a customer hierarchy and have come to accept that fact. I understand their rational, not that I like it but I get it.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have purchased 4 pairs of Aldens and dealt with Tom and Oki. I'm in Canada and always received great service from LS.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will is my guy at LS - always treats me well

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just ordered a pair from jcrew, should be at my door Friday!  :)

Hmm, I got lucky and ordered same pair for 20% off (great SA on the phone) on Jan.29th and was told that restock will be available and shipped on May 12th. I can see that my size is available now..should I call customer service hotline?:satisfied:

Last edited:

tampatravel

Reaction score
Hmm, I got lucky and ordered same pair for 20% off (great SA on the phone) on Jan.29th and was told that restock will be available and shipped on May 12th. I can see that my size is available now..should I call customer service hotline?
satisfied.gif

I'd just play it cool - who knows you might lose your place in line. They're more than likely going to update your order. My pair was ordered in Late Oct for Feb delivery. They were shipped out in the middle of Nov. They under promise and over deliver. I'm sure J.Crew swings a BIG stick when it comes to Alden. I'm sure they order a TON of shoes from them.

Vicious49

Reaction score
I was wondering if I should use shoe trees in my unlined suede shoes. I use them in all my other shoes (except sneakers) but wasn't sure with these since I'm concerned with stretching them out due to them not having lining. Maybe it's a misconception I have about suede stretching out easier than leather. Either way, figured I'd ask.

CelliniEVO

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a stain on my Need Supply exclusive Indys last night that I believe is from olive oil while cooking. When I first noticed it I just hit it with a wet cloth, but when it dried and was still there I tried a tiny bit of organic hand soap with the water. Frustrated as hell, I hit the webs and saw people talking about using cornstarch so I put a dab of that on the stain and rubbed in with my finger to create some heat and that didn't work.....next, let the cornstarch sit for an hour and no luck with that either.

Needless to say, I'm pretty damn mad right now and have a water stain as well! What should I try next? All I have at my house is the Alden neutral boot cream and neutral Venetian shoe cream.

I'm gonna beat these guys up over the coming years, but hate having stains with them only a couple days old.

Thanks

justuhgeek

Reaction score

I was wondering if I should use shoe trees in my unlined suede shoes. I use them in all my other shoes (except sneakers) but wasn't sure with these since I'm concerned with stretching them out due to them not having lining. Maybe it's a misconception I have about suede stretching out easier than leather. Either way, figured I'd ask.

I have a pair of suede PTBs and I put trees in them. I don't notice much stretching at all.

Make sure you have the right size trees though. Was sent the wrong sized trees before and noticed that the sides bulged out so I had them switched.

Last edited:

Vicious49

Reaction score
Suede is leather.
It's definitely softer to the touch and more flexible than 'leather', at least in the Alden shoes I'm talking about. Which is why I asked. But thanks for focusing on semantics rather than the question at hand. It was immensely helpful.

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a stain on my Need Supply exclusive Indys last night that I believe is from olive oil while cooking. When I first noticed it I just hit it with a wet cloth, but when it dried and was still there I tried a tiny bit of organic hand soap with the water. Frustrated as hell, I hit the webs and saw people talking about using cornstarch so I put a dab of that on the stain and rubbed in with my finger to create some heat and that didn't work.....next, let the cornstarch sit for an hour and no luck with that either.

Needless to say, I'm pretty damn mad right now and have a water stain as well! What should I try next? All I have at my house is the Alden neutral boot cream and neutral Venetian shoe cream.

I'm gonna beat these guys up over the coming years, but hate having stains with them only a couple days old.

Thanks

I would try the VSC.
You will also probably at some point be treating them with Neatsfoot oil or Obenauf's HDLP, which will blend blend in with the oil stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads