1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dredey

dredey Well-Known Member

What would sizing be when comparing the Indy with the Red Wing GT?

2. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

There are some amazing shoes/boots that have hit the market in the last month. I've picked up: Epaulet ravello wing tip boot (barrie), Shoemart ravello NST (aberdeen), Alden DC cigar NST (aberdeen) and Alden DC cigar cap toe boot w commando sole (grant - these are amazing).

No mas!

BTW, I agree with all the comments about the new ravello releases - they are much darker.

3. eightdouble

eightdouble Senior Member

there are so many pages in this thread, so sorry if it's been posted before... but does anyone have a pic of some natural chromexcel with a few years on it and maybe post treatment with a leather protector? i really wanna see how this looks after a few years of use.

4. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior Member

^ To my knowledge, Alden only started making shoes in natural chromexcel in the past year so you won't see too many with a lot of wear. There was a pair posted just a few pages back which show the aging potential of the leather.

^^I'm rather disappointed that the colour of the ravello shell has changed to be so dark. It's only a shade lighter than cigar now. Given that the value and rarity of ravello shell is its lighter colour, it really loses its lustre and appeal to me in this darker colour. It's rather deceiving that this new colour is still called ravello when it's much closer to a light brown than the rich caramel colour of true ravello. My lust for a pair of ravello shell is quickly subsiding.

5. interlockingny

interlockingny Distinguished Member

There are some amazing shoes/boots that have hit the market in the last month. I've picked up: Epaulet ravello wing tip boot (barrie), Shoemart ravello NST (aberdeen), Alden DC cigar NST (aberdeen) and Alden DC cap toe boot w commando sole (grant - these are amazing).

No mas!

BTW, I agree with all the comments about the new ravello releases - they are much darker.

Sounds like one heck of a collection. What color is the Alden cap toe boot you picked up?

6. Thor

Thor Senior Member

7. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Distinguished Member

That shoe looks great, minus the dreadful barrie last. Why do people insist on outfitting every shoe with the barrie?

djakfjdsds

8. Salad

Salad Senior Member

Thanks!
    Those pics along with the ones just posted above pretty much convince me that I prefer the storm-welt on Barrie last Shell Wingtip Boots. Maybe, it makes them less versatile, but for some reason I just prefer the look over the "dress boot" style ones that are flat welt, at least with more refined leathers like shell. With the CXL and Suede Wingtip boots, the flat welt look fine to me. Amazing how a tiny strip of leather trim can affect things...

I think I feel almost opposite of this. I say "almost" because I would have to see the differences in real life. I would have liked to see Leathersoul's Chromexel and Snuff WT boots with a storm welt because I feel those materials are more casual. I also think that a shell boot on the Barrie would look good with a regular flat welt because I think of shell as more formal than calf or suede and it would offer a cleaner, slimmer shape. I hear you though, you're not after a less dress boot. I happen to be in need of a dress boot. I agree that that little strip of leather makes a difference.

9. velomane

velomane Senior Member

What would sizing be when comparing the Indy with the Red Wing GT?

Most likely the same size.

10. phantomx48

phantomx48 Senior Member

loving my suede plain toe boots....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wearing the same pair today that I just got about two weeks ago. They are awesome with jeans and oh so comfortable. Love how soft the suede is along with the crepe sole. Could wear them all day without missing a step.

11. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Distinguished Member

I know not everyone believes the pen trick works but I still do it for my personal shoes because I'm anal like that. Here is a picture of one of my calf shoes that I used the pen trick on. The goal really is to crease the shoe at your foot's natural crease points, while helping to make uniform creases. Obviously the uniformity depends on your own foot.

[​IMG]

12. yuljo

yuljo Active Member

Just to let the Toronto crowd know, Nomad has received a small shipment of Alden shoes to tide them over until spring.

13. shasta

shasta Senior Member

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

Are those on the Barrie last? Very nice! I am a real fan of your collection -- makes my mouth water! I've lost sleep over those Ravello perf toes. I own a pair of AE Strands in Walnut, which are basically cheap imitations of those awesome Aldens!

thank you
    you are correct it is the barrie last

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG]
    cigar cap toe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.