• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicious49

Reaction score

The oil infused or water lock sole is a darker color. It's more of a medium-dark brown. The regular oak tanned sole is a more tan color. (looking at the sole from the bottom of course)

Flex vs Waterlock is just a matter of single vs double (respectively) of the oil infused soles.

That what you are looking for?

-Mike

If I understand this correctly, the bottom of the flex and water lock sole will look the same? Thanks for explaining the difference between the two by the way. I didn't realize that's what separates the two.

So on the waterlock sole will it be oil infused throughout the entirety of the sole? Also, regarding the flex and waterlock soles, are they ok to wear in the rain? I know you won't get traction like you would with a commando sole but it won't get softer when wet like a regular leather sole would?

How can you tell from the pics that Pelle provided whether it is a flex or water lock sole?

Sorry for all the questions but I do try and learn from every post you guys make in here.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The flex and waterlock soles hold up better in the wet than the plain leather.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

If I understand this correctly, the bottom of the flex and water lock sole will look the same? Thanks for explaining the difference between the two by the way. I didn't realize that's what separates the two.

So on the waterlock sole will it be oil infused throughout the entirety of the sole? Also, regarding the flex and waterlock soles, are they ok to wear in the rain? I know you won't get traction like you would with a commando sole but it won't get softer when wet like a regular leather sole would?

How can you tell from the pics that Pelle provided whether it is a flex or water lock sole?

Sorry for all the questions but I do try and learn from every post you guys make in here.

No problem!

Yes from the bottom, the flex and Waterlock look the same. You have to then look at the side to figure out if there is one or two stacks.

Supposedly, the oil infusion prevents water from soaking in. Thus it is better for rain or wet conditions than oak tanned soles. Obviously Commando provides more traction. You can wear them in the rain, but it won't do anything different in protecting the upper.

What shoes are you looking at on Pelle Line? If it is unlined, they are typically paired with the single oil infused sole or the "Flex Welt"...

-Mike

Vicious49

Reaction score

What shoes are you looking at on Pelle Line? If it is unlined, they are typically paired with the single oil infused sole or the "Flex Welt"...

-Mike

Ah ok. So if it's lined, it will generally have a double sole and unlined will have a flex sole? Got it.

I was looking at these and hoping they would be similar to the Harrison ones I missed out on last night. As long as it's not a standard leather sole, I don't think I'll care if it's a flex or waterlock sole if both are another equal in the rain. I'm assuming the waterlock sole won't have me feeling the bumps in the road like you do with a flex sole. I don't care about it being unlined either as long as it's the same type of leather on the outside which they do appear to be.

http://www.pelleline.com/store/product-info.php?alden_chromexel_natural_chukka_boot-pid3816.html

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boots tongue is much shorter than this

sorry, maybe my sarcasm didnt translate lol

I was agreeing with you. altho these came from shoemart, they (and all my indys) have tongues that hit the top of the boot AFAIK

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Ah ok. So if it's lined, it will generally have a double sole and unlined will have a flex sole? Got it.

I was looking at these and hoping they would be similar to the Harrison ones I missed out on last night. As long as it's not a standard leather sole, I don't think I'll care if it's a flex or waterlock sole if both are another equal in the rain. I'm assuming the waterlock sole won't have me feeling the bumps in the road like you do with a flex sole. I don't care about it being unlined either as long as it's the same type of leather on the outside which they do appear to be.

http://www.pelleline.com/store/product-info.php?alden_chromexel_natural_chukka_boot-pid3816.html

If I were to try and genericize things, I would say if it is unlined it is (and on an oil infused sole) it is typically a single sole (a.k.a. Flex welt). I do not feel necessarily feel comfortable saying the statement that if it is lined then it is double (Waterloc).

Wow, Pelle Line really went low info on that shoe and the pics are very very hard to tell on. But with that pic and knowing its a Chukka and looking at TheShoeMart unlined suede Chukkas, I would go with its a single or flex welt.

Compare to here:
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...ld_m_unlined_chukka_boot_flex_welt_suede.html

Vicious49

Reaction score
I understand about not wanting to generalize. I was just trying to simplify it for myself.

ShoeMart actually has this one which looks very similar but it has the strip in the back so their version is probably unlined correct? They don't provide much info either but as always they provide very detailed pics.
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...ald_m_chukka_boot_calf_skin_leather_sole.html

I really do appreciate all the info. I learned a lot about flex/waterlock soles tonight.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re. the oil infused soles. I'm having sliding issues in the wake of these slush/salty conditions. Thus, this will be the last pair of Aldens that I'll get with that sole. Avoid gentlemen. Can't wait to get those soles off.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been skeptical of the benefits of the oil-soaked soles. Maybe it helps a little, but it isn't going to make me go out and wear it with confidence in wet weather, like I would wear commando, Dainite, or other rubber soled shoes. I guess if you want a dressier sole with some limited water-resistant benefits, it adds something. I just question how much.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a few rough pics of my new 4065 boots. The cell phone doesn't do them justice.
I've always been jealous when somebody posts pics of the rare Horween logo stamped on the inside of a shoe or boot tongue. I finally got one, but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. Has anybody ever seen one of these before? It actually looks like a square-footage marking for the total area of the shell. At least that's my guess. Thoughts?

I had something similar -- although not green -- on a pair of cap toe color 8 boots. I figured it was just some form of identification.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, wore a different pair of cap toe cordovan boots today. Must have been on the same wavelength as Mr. DV. Forgive the poor photo:

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New rule: when taking top down photos of shoes, keep crotch out of photo.
fight[1].gif

Ha. I considered that, but doing so would've left out the sport coat.
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

AldenKappa

Reaction score
Two Questions:
1) Is the edging for this shoe brown cxl PTB http://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=167&ParentID=4&PageID=&Action= from alden SF, the same as the brown cxl from harrison limited.

2) It's bonus time and I was about to pull the trigger on the #8 LWB..... after reading the recent posts about uneven broguing, should I expect a problem? I had already resigned myself that I want secure the cigar gunboats in this century.

100 yrs

Reaction score

I understand about not wanting to generalize. I was just trying to simplify it for myself.

ShoeMart actually has this one which looks very similar but it has the strip in the back so their version is probably unlined correct? They don't provide much info either but as always they provide very detailed pics.
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...ald_m_chukka_boot_calf_skin_leather_sole.html

I really do appreciate all the info. I learned a lot about flex/waterlock soles tonight.

i have that "chooka" model from the shoe mart. it is indeed lined and on the double waterloc sole. i don't wear it often due to the barrie last hating my foot.

Re. the oil infused soles. I'm having sliding issues in the wake of these slush/salty conditions. Thus, this will be the last pair of Aldens that I'll get with that sole. Avoid gentlemen.  Can't wait to get those soles off.

double waterloc might be my favorite sole. the sidewalks are often wet here, and i have a little piece of mind with the oiled sole. i sometimes find alden's commando heel to be too chunky

Two Questions:
1) Is the edging for this shoe brown cxl PTB http://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=167&ParentID=4&PageID=&Action= from alden SF, the same as the brown cxl from harrison limited.

i also have that unlined cxl (i really like cxl) from alden sf as well. judging by the pics on harrison ltd, they should be the same. the ptbs are unlined on the flex welt, just like the chukka

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads