• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ no difference at all. no difference in resale either, unless the buyer happens not to like the makeup. only difference is in the details, last, etc, and to each his own in that regard.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the difference between Brooks Brothers shell (made by Alden) and Alden shells?

Is it just the last? There are times when BB shells actually gets discounted by 30% but isn't it extremely rare for Alden shoes to be discounted by the same percentage?

I'm guessing resale value is different, but that is not a factor for people who want to keep the shoes though.

All things being equal, Brooks Brothers shoes tend to be dressier and sleeker lasted than their close Alden branded equivalents. They rarely are 30% off anymore.

There was a case a couple of years ago where an eBay buyer successfully claimed with eBay that Brooks Brothers Alden shoes weren't true "Aldens" and therefore got a refund for the shoes after sending them back. Most BB models aren't "rare" so don't see them getting huge resale value on eBay (beyond normal cordovan resale value)

Last edited:

docalden2013

Reaction score
We are on the same wave length for sure, I have been searching for a cigar Indy (on any last) for too long, as I consider that my grail but MrDv's ravello pics have swayed me to consider either or(in reality both).

This will be my first Plaza and Im looking forward to it, been seesawing on the medallion plaza blucher but holding out for #8, I tried on the black version but I dont think I would get much use out of it.

I do think the Barrie lends itself nicely to wingtips, Im wearing my classic 975s right now but Im sure you would be wondering about the WT on plaza if you had it on the Barrie. Such is the way of the Alden
Good luck on your grail quest. I thought there was a batch of shell Indys at Alden Madison a few months back. Not sure if it included cigars or if it was even Madison now that I think of it.

I like the Plaza for boots, but am not convinced that it does well for shoes. I definitely dig the Plaza for pairing with charcoal pants and maybe a suit if I'm feeling bold. Still unsure whether I can wear the plaza wt boots confidently with jeans; the moc toe imho would work more easily with jeans. My issue with the medallion plaza bluchers, including the ravello (which I just recently passed up), might mainly be with the 6 eyelets.

Will you guys think less of me if I pick up a Barrie king wt boot in addition to my plaza? Because such is the way of the Alden...

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Will you guys think less of me if I pick up a Barrie king wt boot in addition to my plaza? Because such is the way of the Alden...

Nope. I want them too!

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people should buy what they want if they want it, period. Also, I cannot understand why the wingtip boot on plaza wouldn't work with jeans. That would be how I'd wear them most of the time if I had them.

Last edited:

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ agreed that BB shells are not "rare" since they don't have exotic models, but if i understand correctly, he was asking the question apples to apples, that is across similar stock vs BB models.

docalden2013

Reaction score
Nope. I want them too!
Everyone please pm me the best places to look for a king 8 boot on barrie. Do NOT post recommendations here, because tifosi will snatch them right out of my hands!
boxing[1].gif

I think people should buy what they want if they want it, period. Also, I cannot understand why the wingtip boot on plaza wouldn't work with jeans. That would be how I'd wear them most of the time if I had them.
Then I'm in good company. I'll try to stop being so neurotic about my Plaza issues.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Everyone please pm me the best places to look for a king 8 boot on barrie. Do NOT post recommendations here, because tifosi will snatch them right out of my hands! 
boxing%5B1%5D.gif

Then I'm in good company. I'll try to stop being so neurotic about my Plaza issues. 

You're safe, Doc. I'm done buying for a while.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1. Nice thing about spring coming (at least it should be coming, in theory) is that it will slow down my boot roll.

docalden2013

Reaction score

You're safe, Doc. I'm done buying for a while.

I thought I was done for a bit as well. Then we start talking about Barrie vs Plaza and I start fiendin

And we're never safe. We 8.5/9-ers always have to look over our shoulders with the likes of bkotsko, steel28, and several other fellow senior members :)

It would be neat to have a rare shell sharing cooperative, like a sort of AldenFlix. You get a rare model in your size, say a MrDv ravello nst, for a week. You Mac them, shoe tree them and send them back to get your next pair. If only they weren't on our sweaty feet.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ agreed that BB shells are not "rare" since they don't have exotic models, but if i understand correctly, he was asking the question apples to apples, that is across similar stock vs BB models.
This is not quite true. Brooks Brothers will do a few makeups in whiskey and cigar shell from time to time; whether this qualifies as exotic, it beats me. However, I have not seen them on the website.

ATLVol

Reaction score
Good luck on your grail quest. I thought there was a batch of shell Indys at Alden Madison a few months back. Not sure if it included cigars or if it was even Madison now that I think of it.

I like the Plaza for boots, but am not convinced that it does well for shoes. I definitely dig the Plaza for pairing with charcoal pants and maybe a suit if I'm feeling bold. Still unsure whether I can wear the plaza wt boots confidently with jeans; the moc toe imho would work more easily with jeans. My issue with the medallion plaza bluchers, including the ravello (which I just recently passed up), might mainly be with the 6 eyelets.

I have 2 pair of shoes on the Plaza last, #8 monks and cigar PTB with 6 eyelets, and they are 2 of my favorites during the week with dress slacks and/or jacket.

I had a pair of plaza PT boots and ended up selling them as I couldn't get comfortable with wearing them casually.....hopefully the SF member that now has them is enjoying them!

Similar to you Doc, they seemed to dressy for me when I tried to pair them with chinos or jeans.....strange because the look so good when others post their pics on this thread.

Everybody has their own preferences......for me a lot of it is trial and error with finding what works for the individual with their style.....I have bought a number of make ups that I thought I would love but the just didn't feel right with what I tried to wear them on a day-to-day basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads