1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

It's actually more common for creasing to occur beyond the cap when the shoe is too short heel-to-toe and/or wide. If the cap extends past the balls of your feet (where your foot flexes) and if there is excess girth, the shoe flexes at/beyond the cap. Hence small toes or too short heel-to-toe + long cap (+ short stiffener) = creases beyond the cap.

The most important measurement in fit is heel-to-ball not heel-to-toe, so you can have a good fit and still have creasing at the toe cap with RTW shoes.

This very topic was/is discussed ad nauseam in the Saint Crispin's thread.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  2. chantheman

chantheman Senior member

i have a pair of alden captoe boots that need new laces. anyone know where i can get some new flat laces long enough for this boot?

3. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

^Contact Alden and they will send you a pair for free I believe.

4. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

you realize he was not trolling you.

6. loanshark

loanshark Senior member

Innsbruck Indy and Gustin denim

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  7. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

Very nice!

8. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I just gave the 5 last another shot and after walking down the stret to get the mail I realized it still won't work for me.

Yeah, sized up 1/2 on the Grant. It's right on the edge of pinching my pinky toes. In a normal day I'm fine and don't feel anything but I'm guessing if I lived in NYC and did a lot of walking, my pinky might be sore by the end of the day.

9. zargoz

zargoz Senior member

Strikes and spares today in the Alden game friends.

Picked up these Alden for Unionmade Stanyan loden calf boots on the 'bay, figuring the dark color and commando soles would be perfect for the early winter gripping us here in the midwest. The seller mentioned that a plastic heel tap had been added, but failed to mention that the tongues had been stitched to the sides (second pic). WTF? I'm sure a cobbler can take the stitches out pretty easily and the holes in the tongue won't really be visible, but why in the world would someone do this? Is it to wear laceless? Not the end of the world as otherwise these boots look brand new but a bit of a bummer as I can't wear them until it gets fixed. The barrie last usually fits me like a glove but I can't get my foot into these with the tongue immobilized.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also received these beauties from Frans Boone. I've wanted a casual color 8 boot for a while and when these popped up I tried to talk myself out of it, but I broke down and ordered during their free shipping promo last week. I find the Alden crepe sole to the most comfortable of anything out there for all-day wear in almost any situation, so I was stoked to see these. Love the brass eyelets too. Unfortunately they came with a $98 bill from UPS for customs clearance and a $30 foreign transaction fee from my CC... putting the final price well north of $800, ouch! I am telling myself it will be my last boot purchase for some time but we'll see. Maybe the last one of this year anyway (unless the Leffot chamois Greenwich manages to drop in the next two weeks)!

I did notice a little flaw on both boots, a small hole in the hide by the heel counter. It's in the same spot on both, the left side, so it's actually on the outside of the left boot. Small enough no one but me will notice but a little vexing on a boot this expensive. Maybe something done during the lasting? Oh well. Given the uniqueness of this makeup and difficulty in making a return to Europe there was no question of not keeping them. These feel bigger than my other Barrie boots, almost closer to Trubalance, but still a good fit. Already wearing today:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

1. Just fyi there are several credit cards that don't charge a foreign transaction fee. Also, given you didn't know about it try to call the credit card company and maybe they'll credit you as a courtesy. 2. Argue with UPS re charge, and tell the seller that no one mentioned this to you. Maybe someone will budge.I argued down a charge from fedex they waived it.

11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

the tongue being stitched is to prevent it from shifting to one side, must have been a problem for the previous owner.

The small holes on the back of the #8s are common, it's something with how alden builds the boot.

I just checked and both day trippers and cigar captoes, built years apart, have it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I usually call with Alden DC or Alden Shoppe (SF) and they will mail them to you for free. Alden customer service will do the same.

-Mike

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Those holes are a part of the lasting process. They use nails to attach the upper to the last. Most of those nails are on the bottom of the foot below the welt. The only possibly visible hole is right where you are seeing it on the back near one of the seams. I believe that is actually the first nail and how they align the upper on the last. Every pair of Aldens I own have that. Some more visible than others. Hope that helps and makes sense! Have a good Saturday night! -Mike

14. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Masters.. Internet grammar police officer .. and .. you are still are a punk ass kid continuing to bring angst for the fun of it to this thread for your entertainment. You are mean spirited and outright nasty in your comments to people you don't even know. Fuck Off Youngster

15. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Why you mad tho? :lol:

17. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

It's fascinating to me that people think they can judge people's shoe size fit by pictures on the interwebz.

2 people like this.
  18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    black straight tip, argyles otc
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

Need some quick sizing advice - I'm 7E/7.5D in Barrie, with the 7E being my "true" size but the larger being something I can still wear comfortably.

From what I understand, one should size up on the Grant last but am I better off with a 7.5D or 8D if those are my only choices?

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Are you guys still talking about shoe creases? Who cares?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.