1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zazaza

zazaza Distinguished Member

George hamiltons knuckle under a magnifying glass?

NoOoOoO PeNNNNN
    [​IMG]

2. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Distinguished Member

Sounds like they make it pretty difficult to do an Alden MTO. . . no wonder I haven't read much about it. Wonder if anyone on here has attempted this before?

I've done this through the Alden NYC store. Went very smoothly actually- the main limitations are no cordos other than #8 or black.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    whiskey nst

You're wearing my Christmas present from my wife!

4. number9dream

number9dream Senior Member

Got my 20% coupon from J Crew and now I'm going to either buy a pair of Indys or those beautiful Cap-Toe Cordovan boots. Which should I go for?

5. phantomx48

phantomx48 Senior Member

Cap Toe for sure! 1. the cordovan is more rare 2.you will save more money when using the coupon 3. Indy's are always showing up on eBay for the same price as with the coupon 4-10. IT'S CORDOVAN
    (yes, I did just buy the cap toe so I might be a bit biased, but they are just so gorgeous)

6. number9dream

You're right. Cordovan it is!

At first my coupon wouldn't work, but I must've been doing something wrong, because the order went through with like $120 off. Good deal!

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

no one commented on this? Jesus, I never cared about whiskey leather until this picture. that color kills.

thank you
    it looks better in person

8. mcarthur

You're wearing my Christmas present from my wife!

nephew,
    your wife has very good taste. you will very pleased

9. mcarthur

[​IMG]
    cigar utip

10. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Distinguished Member

[​IMG]
    cigar utip

Very nice - i've been interested in those lately, wouldn't mnind a nice pair in #8

11. Magic1

Magic1 Senior Member

The v-tip is very nice IMO. LS did it a two-color version with black and cigar and that was very nice. Hopefully they will do that again, maybe in boot form? Please.

12. enigma77

enigma77 Senior Member

I've done the pen trick on my LS Jumpers and shell Indy's. The Jumpers have creased evenly along my toes. The captoe probably affected how they creased too. I can't comment on how they would have turned out without the pen trick, but I'm very happy with how they've worn in. While I did the same trick on the Indy's they haven't creased as evenly. The mocc toe stitching (with the thicker handstitch too) likely influenced how they creased, moreso than the pen trick. Here are the Jumpers: http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8232/img2989levelled.jpg[IMG] I would certainly do the pen trick on a pair of PTB's. While the creasing won't be as noticeable on a pair of wingtips, I would still used the pen trick. I'll also state the obvious that a proper fit is going to influence the creasing more than anything, so make sure you buy the right size. Nice choice in the ravelllo wingtip boots. How I covet a pair of ravello shell shoes/boots...[/I]
    Thanks for all of this and the photo. I'm a 10D in Trubalance. Tried the 10D and 9.5D in the Ravello wingtip boots (Barrie) and the 10D felt great, so I went for that. I know in general Trubalance = Barrie but since these are shells I wanted to make sure that I didn't need to size down. 9.5D felt very uncomfortable, especially across the top of my foot. Also interesting: the Ravello that has been coming out of Horween/Alden recently is slightly darker than it has been in the past. This isn't just Epaulet -- tried the Ravello NST boots from Shoemart and the Ravello was also slightly darker. A really welcome change I think.

13. samuels

samuels Member

Got my 20% coupon from J Crew and now I'm going to either buy a pair of Indys or those beautiful Cap-Toe Cordovan boots. Which should I go for?

If anyone has one of those 20% coupons from J Crew and won't be using it, please pm it to me. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

14. number9dream

Also interesting: the Ravello that has been coming out of Horween/Alden recently is slightly darker than it has been in the past. This isn't just Epaulet -- tried the Ravello NST boots from Shoemart and the Ravello was also slightly darker. A really welcome change I think.

I definitely agree that Shoemart's recent run of Ravello NSTs was much darker than expected. Someone even commented that my NSTs resembled Cigar. To me, it looks like a shell version of the color Allen Edmonds color calls "chili." They are beautiful now, but I wonder whether they will darken further as a patina develops with age (like whiskey) or whether they will take on a lighter shade (like color 8 and cigar). Only time will tell, I guess!

15. Thor

Thor Senior Member

Also interesting: the Ravello that has been coming out of Horween/Alden recently is slightly darker than it has been in the past. This isn't just Epaulet -- tried the Ravello NST boots from Shoemart and the Ravello was also slightly darker. A really welcome change I think.

I thought it was just me...I kept seeing this pics of new Ravello...and then going back and looking at my 6 mos old WingTip boots from SMart and was like- whats the deal?...was sorta hoping I was just imagining it as I like the darker better...

Oh well...they are still beautiful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.