1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

So I am thinking of picking up a pair of suede chukka boots.
    For peeps that own them, have you had any issues with it rubbing your ankles in a weird way.
    I remember years ago I bought a pair of short boots and wore them one time amnd never again b/c of the way the boot hit my ankle...very painful.

Any insight is appreciated.

2. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

As gunboats go, the Barrie is sleek. That's why I like them. I'm further pushing for a lower profile by squeezing my 10.5 Ds (Brannock) into 9.5 Barries, mostly. The 10 D in Barrie is a little sloppy for me.

How has sizing down a full size on the barrie worked for you?

3. scb

scb Senior member

dammit, I waited too long on the ravello chukka from the shoe mart in 10.5. someone got the last one

4. borderline

borderline Senior member

As gunboats go, the Barrie is sleek. That's why I like them. I'm further pushing for a lower profile by squeezing my 10.5 Ds (Brannock) into 9.5 Barries, mostly. The 10 D in Barrie is a little sloppy for me.

Is the Barrie last vanity sized?

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I dunno, sometimes its hard to trust lighting, etc

the (restored) whiskey's in that photo (in the middle) look like #6 or something to me. and over time, I would think you could darken them up with polishes

[​IMG]

Lots of nice looking new shoes in this thread. Also is not a whole lot of negativity like there was for a while which is good.

I made this photo my wallpaper on my laptop:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q94mNatWth...1600/front.JPG

Nothing new here, waiting for my #8 and black shell saddle shoes from Tom.

Really messed up a pair of calf plaze wingtips in the rain/snow/slush but I think I can fix them up.

Keep up the good work my Brothers of the Horse Ass. [​IMG]

6. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Lots of nice looking new shoes in this thread. Also is not a whole lot of negativity like there was for a while which is good.

I made this photo my wallpaper on my laptop:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q94mNatWth...1600/front.JPG

Nothing new here, waiting for my #8 and black shell saddle shoes from Tom.

Really messed up a pair of calf plaze wingtips in the rain/snow/slush but I think I can fix them up.

Keep up the good work my Brothers of the Horse Ass. [​IMG]

Which #8's are you waiting on? The special make up he just did? If so, I ordered those as well and just need to get them out of my mind. That is the exact shoe I've been looking for...and now we wait...and wait...and wait...

7. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Which #8's are you waiting on? The special make up he just did? If so, I ordered those as well and just need to get them out of my mind. That is the exact shoe I've been looking for...and now we wait...and wait...and wait...
    It was a saddle shoe pre-order:

[​IMG]

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...n-saddle-shoe/

Missed out on the #4 and Black Saddle shoes both times but I really think the #8 will be a keepr. [​IMG]

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Missed out on the #4 and Black Saddle shoes both times but I really think the #8 will be a keepr. [​IMG]

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I like the standard closed lacing much better on these than the blucher styled #4 shoes.

9. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

10. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I like the standard closed lacing much better on these than the blucher styled #4 shoes.

I agree. I love this shoe. I love the exposed eyelets.

Damn those are nice!

These were pre-order so I am hoping they will come in within the next 8 weeks. I cannot speak for Tom but he usually has some for general sle that come in at the same time depending on your size. He's crazy like that! [​IMG]

11. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

How has sizing down a full size on the barrie worked for you?
    It's worked out well for me though I don't recommend people try it when doing online orders. Next time you're at a shop, try going down a full size in the Barrie, you might be surprised. It has meant fewer creases/rolls and a sleeker profile for me. Whether this would work for all Barrie-lasted shoes I don't know. Probably varies across models and type of leather. I did order the SWBoot in size 10 because I wanted the extra room for thicker socks. I tried the NST in natural Chromexcel, Barrie, size 10. My heels lift out of them and they just look too big. Great shoe, otherwise. Love the model and the leather.

12. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

It's worked out well for me though I don't recommend people try it when doing online orders. Next time you're at a shop, try going down a full size in the Barrie, you might be surprised. It has meant fewer creases/rolls and a sleeker profile for me. Whether this would work for all Barrie-lasted shoes I don't know. Probably varies across models and type of leather.

I did order the SWBoot in size 10 because I wanted the extra room for thicker socks.

I tried the NST in natural Chromexcel, Barrie, size 10. My heels lift out of them and they just look too big.

Great shoe, otherwise. Love the model and the leather.

I know some people who go down a full size on the barrie and up 1 in the width.

Example: A 10D foot could equal a 9E on the Barrie.

13. k.laff

k.laff New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greetings! First post...

Lowrider, if you happen to see this, which last are the short wing and v-tip on in these photos? Anyone else able to identify from the photos? Thanks!

14. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Greetings!

Great line-up, lowrider.

15. REguy

REguy Senior member

I know some people who go down a full size on the barrie and up 1 in the width.

Example: A 10D foot could equal a 9E on the Barrie.

I've wound up going down a full size on the Barrie in the unlined PTBs. They're borderline too narrow in the toe, but I know they'd be loose through the heel if I went up in width. I only go down 1/2 in calf and shell, although I'm beginning to wonder if I should go down a full size in shell as well.

16. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Greetings! First post... Lowrider, if you happen to see this, which last are the short wing and v-tip on in these photos? Anyone else able to identify from the photos? Thanks!
    Those look like wingtip boots, not shortwings. Small potatoes... [​IMG] EDIT: Hmm, maybe not now that I see the unlined eyelets.

17. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

Greetings! First post...

Lowrider, if you happen to see this, which last are the short wing and v-tip on in these photos? Anyone else able to identify from the photos? Thanks!

the v-tips looks like it's on the modified last...

18. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

the wingtips from Lowrider are Leather Soul Plaza last wing tip boots. I remember from when the pics first appear, and I have the same shoes here: (pictured when they were new)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Which is the sleeker/more-modern last between the Barrie and Grant?

I am going to pick up a pair of cap-toe cordovan boots, I'd ideally get them on the Plaza last, but can't find them in stock anywhere. Would like to buy the closest comparable.

The Aberdeen is a narrower looking last, but I haven't seen it in a captoe. I've had Grant captoe shoes that aren't quite as round as a Barrie shoe, but sleek isn't what comes to mind. I've found the Grant to fit me tts in a shoe but are roomier in a boot.

If you're looking for 'sleek' then maybe another brand would better suit.

20. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

I've wound up going down a full size on the Barrie in the unlined PTBs. They're borderline too narrow in the toe, but I know they'd be loose through the heel if I went up in width. I only go down 1/2 in calf and shell, although I'm beginning to wonder if I should go down a full size in shell as well.

I take a 10.5D in Tremont, Aberdeen, Van, AND Barrie. Is something wrong with this picture? Yes, Aberdeen's toebox is a little cramped, but it's still the best size for me all around...http://www.styleforum.net//images/smilies/eh.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.