***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

The irregulars are a bit like playing Russian roulette. They often work out, but there are sometimes real clunkers lurking in those white boxes. I've had both good and bad experiences.

That's true, but now that SM has a return label for 7 or 8 bux it's well worth the risk.

2. REguy

REguy Senior member

^ Absolutely worth it. I've been pleasantly surprised more than I've been disappointed.

3. Noonan

Noonan Active Member

Hello, I tried to find more information about this, but haven't got anything really helpful.

I love the LS cordovan jumper boots, but they're sold out. However, the JCrew cordovan boots are very similar. I understand the LS boots are on the trubalance last and the JC boots are on the barrie.

Can anyone explain the differences between these lasts, and if the difference will be very noticeable between the two boots?

Thanks.

I have been a serial lurker on this thread and it's high time I posted.....

I have two pair of shell boots - the jumper from LSBH (built on the TruBalance) and a ravello wingtip (built on the Barrie.) I wear them both and here are my impressions:

The Barrie has a little tighter toe-box due to it's "narrower" cut. The TruBalance, on the other hand, is a more rounded and hence a bit more roomy in the forward box. The Barrie will work with a suit but the TruBalance, being a tad less formal, doesn't go well with a dressier outfit. As for length, there is no discernable difference.

That said, on my foot, the TruBalance is a little more comfortable. It's a good last for the Indy boots and other models that you might wear on weekends. The Barrie is also comfortable and I think it works well as a shape for shoes you'd wear to work.

I'm sure others might have different impressions, but that's the way I see it.

BTW - Thanks to all you regulars on this thread. Over the last six months I have been converted into a certifiable Alden lunatic due primarily to your great writing and even better photography.

4. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

Thanks for your insight. I would rather have the Jumper from LS. I assume it will be reordered and I can probably put a deposit down for that.

On the other hand, I have heard of people using coupons on the Jcrew site for discounts on Aldens, even though some folks say that this is not allowed. If this works, it makes it more appealing. I would have to take a closer look at the Jcrew model.

I tried on a pair of the Indys at Jcrew in size 11.5 (I am usually a 12) and they fit nicely. I didn't try on the cordovan boots though. At the time I was more interested in getting a feel for the trubalance last.

I would primarily be wearing the boot with jeans. Probably 99% of the time. I already have a nice pair of Allen Edmonds for suits.

5. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Sorry for the not so stellar phone pics... Stopped by LSW the other day and got to see this:

[​IMG]
    Aged #8 NST on the left, brand new shoe on the right.

A friend also picked up his new boots:
    [​IMG]

Pen creasing assistance. Now that's service! [​IMG]

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

7. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

If you're buying them solely for role play/geek conventions, then these would probably fit the bill.

You can probably get yourself a hat, shoes, whip, and pleather jacket for around the same price as the real Aldens and the Comic Conners will still be ecstatic.

The giant rolling boulder might be a little more.............

Man I was really hoping for the giant boulder, shoot! Haha theres no way I would buy these, just thought it would be a nice touch to add to this thread.

8. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

Alan - Excellent trouser, sock, and shoe comination in the first picture.

9. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Sorry for the not so stellar phone pics... Stopped by LSW the other day and got to see this:

[​IMG]
    Aged #8 NST on the left, brand new shoe on the right.

A friend also picked up his new boots:
    [​IMG]

Pen creasing assistance. Now that's service! [​IMG]

That aged one looks fantastic...

BTW, what does the pen creasing do?

10. forex

forex Senior member

That aged one looks fantastic...

BTW, what does the pen creasing do?

Has to do with creating an artificial crease or some sort.

11. REguy

REguy Senior member

[​IMG]

Dexter, I love the color of these boots...Trickers?

12. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

That aged one looks fantastic... BTW, what does the pen creasing do?
    You manually create the crease line to ensure that is aesthetically pleasing and not something crazy that your toes may naturally come up with.

13. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

That's cool. Whats it involve? Just putting a pen across and bending the leather over the pen? I'm intrigued

14. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Recent Alden wearing:

[​IMG]

Which model are these cool pebble grain Chukkas?

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^ Model 1274S on the inside, same model as these but perhaps not made in this leather any longer. I wear them in rainy weather since they have a lug sole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.