• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicious49

Reaction score
I wouldn't put more products on shell than necessary. Venetian shoe cream and the (very) occasional waxing should be sufficient. Are you planning on taking these out in the rain a lot?

Not a lot but don't want to worry about not being able to wear them in the rain due to spotting or welting.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll pick up a bottle when I stop by Alden DC tomorrow. Last week I got lucky in that I'm pretty sure I parked illegally in front of the store due to the construction signs and didn't get a ticket. I planned on being there for 30 minutes and ended up being more like 90. Hopefully tomorrow is quicker than that and I can get off easy again. Trying to find parking there is pretty rough.

fitchottie

Reaction score

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181311549393?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Do anyone happen to have a pair of these, and can comment on fit. Should these fit the same as Chukka on the same last. I originally thought I was a 11.5d as I have many pairs in that size. By chance I ordered the 11 chukka, from Jcrew and they fit awesome, with thin sock. Now it has me wondering if I should be an 11. :). I thought the price was pretty good on these too. Do you think a plain chukka, and these PTB are too similar to have both?

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Not a lot but don't want to worry about not being able to wear them in the rain due to spotting or welting.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll pick up a bottle when I stop by Alden DC tomorrow. Last week I got lucky in that I'm pretty sure I parked illegally in front of the store due to the construction signs and didn't get a ticket. I planned on being there for 30 minutes and ended up being more like 90. Hopefully tomorrow is quicker than that and I can get off easy again. Trying to find parking there is pretty rough.
If you're not in a huge hurry, you could just get it from The Shoe Mart since it's free shipping, then you don't have to deal with parking.

Vicious49

Reaction score
If you're not in a huge hurry, you could just get it from The Shoe Mart since it's free shipping, then you don't have to deal with parking.

I'm sure there's shipping costs associated there as well.

Either way, I have to go in to the DC store to make a return so I figured I'd pick up a bottle while I was there. I grabbed a pair of black shell Dovers when I picked up my captoe shell boots last week. As soon as I got home and took the Dovers out and held them next to my wardrobe I could tell they were going back. Now I'm waiting about 20-22 weeks for a pair of black calfskin chukkas from the ShoeMart that I think are more my style.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I'm sure there's shipping costs associated there as well.

Either way, I have to go in to the DC store to make a return so I figured I'd pick up a bottle while I was there. I grabbed a pair of black shell Dovers when I picked up my captoe shell boots last week. As soon as I got home and took the Dovers out and held them next to my wardrobe I could tell they were going back. Now I'm waiting about 20-22 weeks for a pair of black calfskin chukkas from the ShoeMart that I think are more my style.
As far as I know, it's all free shipping. I've bought those little suede brushes a few times with no shipping costs.

You talking about these?

Looks a bit different from the usual Alden calf. I wonder if it's the "lady calf" like these.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black Calf NST's today
I suspect there is more than a "these are nice shoes" connection to this pair** - and that, perhaps, but for that, these would have been swapped out for the black shell version, model 2211. No? A nice pair of shoes nevertheless. ** My 905's, burgundy calf captoe bal (perf tip), were my first pair of Aldens, and I can never talk myself into parting with them (and that's even after I acquired the color 8 version). :D

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should be updating the shoe care consensus / conventional wisdom for Alden Leather Defender, which is an awesome product and probably should be applied regularly to cordovan boots and shoes that get exposed to rain. I have applied it regularly this winter to several boots (color 8 wingtips, black tankers, etc), and I have worn these boots out in the rain, ice and snow. I haven't noticed any water spotting, and the shine continues to look great.
+1, I use LD liberally on all my leather shoes, incl. shell

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect there is more than a "these are nice shoes" connection to this pair** - and that, perhaps, but for that, these would have been swapped out for the black shell version, model 2211. No?

A nice pair of shoes nevertheless.

** My 905's, burgundy calf captoe bal (perf tip), were my first pair of Aldens, and I can never talk myself into parting with them (and that's even after I acquired the color 8 version).
biggrin.gif
First pair of Aldens indeed. Hold a special place in my rotation and perfect for wet snowy days like today

aldenwear

Reaction score
Why is almost everyone in this thread a "Senior Member"? Is it like the adult film industry, where you're automatically a "Star"?

Maybe SF should start stratifying members by adding additional tiers.
Why? What are the current tiers? What do they mean? What do you find meaningful about the designation of membership?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect there is more than a "these are nice shoes" connection to this pair** - and that, perhaps, but for that, these would have been swapped out for the black shell version, model 2211. No?

A nice pair of shoes nevertheless.

** My 905's, burgundy calf captoe bal (perf tip), were my first pair of Aldens, and I can never talk myself into parting with them (and that's even after I acquired the color 8 version). :D

First pair of Aldens indeed.  Hold a special place in my rotation and perfect for wet snowy days like today 

I had a hunch that was the case. Well done. :fistbump:

PeterL

Reaction score
What is the best course of action for a defect on this pair of color 8 longwings that were purchased at Alden or Carmel a couple of years go but only have around 6-7 wears on them. As you can see from the picture, the stitching is coming off. Do I contact Alden directly or Alden of Carmel?

Your post raised the concern of my LWB. I have only worn mine twice. I dont mine the appearance of the little loose thread. But I am concern that it will looks more like yours over time.

Last edited:

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Your post raised the concern of my LWB. I have only worn mine twice. I dont mine the appearance of the little loose thread. But I am concern that it will looks more like yours over time.
Can you trim it with manicure scissors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads