1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

2. cfull

cfull Active Member

The ones on J Crew are not the unlined chukka, they are a fully lined version and I believe the pricing is correct for that style. Epaulet has an example of the lined chukka as well as the more standard unlined offerings and their pricing is similar (though their black suede w/ brown trim is way cooler looking IMO).
    The ones I tried on yesterday were fully leather lined too, the only difference being a lug sole. Same as the ones here on shoemart. Suede, barrie last, fully leather lined, exactly the same except the sole. 100 dollar upcharge, heh!

3. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

for those of you who own natty chromexcel shoes, what do you guys use to treat them? i heard tehy scuff really easily ...

any products to recommend?

anyone used this venetian shoe cream?

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/acces...hoe-cream.html

Certain products (Saphir renovateur for instance) contain neatsfoot oil, which will evidently darken natural chromexcel. The people at Shoemart recommended neutral Alden shoe creme - I'm not sure if the formulation of the venetian shoe creme is closer to the Alden product or something like the Saphir product but I know the Alden shoe creme works.

I have the LWBs from Winn-Perry and they are a bit darker than other natural chromexcel shoes but they haven't scuffed at all.

4. randomkoreandude

^thx very helpful

does shoemart do 10% off on alden accessories? only through phone?

5. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Certain products (Saphir renovateur for instance) contain neatsfoot oil, which will evidently darken natural chromexcel. The people at Shoemart recommended neutral Alden shoe creme - I'm not sure if the formulation of the venetian shoe creme is closer to the Alden product or something like the Saphir product but I know the Alden shoe creme works. I have the LWBs from Winn-Perry and they are a bit darker than other natural chromexcel shoes but they haven't scuffed at all.
    I second the recommendation of Alden shoe cream. I don't own natural chromexcel shoes, but use the neutral shade on my brown chromexcel all the time and it's great. Imparts just the right amount of shine and has not affected the coloration of the leather. Venetian shoe cream seems more of a shell cordovan product. I've used in on my shells with great success, and can tell you that it will darken areas of leather if you leave it there for a while. Try the Alden shoe cream. It's not that expensive, and it's pretty all-purpose -- I use it on all my non-shell, non-suede leathers.

6. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

enigma77 are you saying venetian will darken shell? Or other leathers? Or anything if you don't buff it off?

7. CanuckBassist

CanuckBassist Senior member

Is the neutral shoe cream the way to go for dark brown chromexcel indys or does the dark brown actually match?

Speaking of indys, do you guys use shoe trees considering they're more casual?

8. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Is the neutral shoe cream the way to go for dark brown chromexcel indys or does the dark brown actually match?

I use trees on mine.

9. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

No. I've left it sitting on a part of a shell boot while I polished the rest, and there was a minor darkening in that spot for a bit before I rubbed it in. No big deal. It might ever so slightly affect the color, but so will just, you know, wearing the shoes.

enigma77 are you saying venetian will darken shell? Or other leathers? Or anything if you don't buff it off?

10. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Bryan from LSBH suggested I use neutral shoe cream, and I tried that on mine; worked out beautifully, the leather is way more supple now.

David

11. granjamo

granjamo Well-Known Member

sizing question...

If my size on the hampton last is 10E, will that generally be the size that would work on other lasts as well? A 10.5E is slightly too big, and the 10.5D pinches the outer edges of my toes by the end of the day.

While recently trying on shell cordovan I found that it fits a bit looser than calfskin (for the same shoe of equal size and on the same last). Is this typical or do calfskin and shell sizings tend to be pretty equal?

Thanks
    (question also posted on aaac)

12. URALLMORONS

URALLMORONS Senior member

Is Epaulet the only place you can get a pair of Shell Cordovan LW's in Whiskey color instock?

13. rabidawg

rabidawg Senior member

^ the shoe mart has a few sizes in stock.

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I use trees on mine.
    Same here. I buy my shoe trees from the local Nordstrom Rack at $14.99 a piece for every pair of my Alden.

15. randomkoreandude

Same here. I buy my shoe trees from the local Nordstrom Rack at $14.99 a piece for every pair of my Alden.

i have nordstrom shoe trees for all my non alden shoes and alden shoe trees for all my aldens [​IMG]

16. wj4

wj4 Senior member

i have nordstrom shoe trees for all my non alden shoes and alden shoe trees for all my aldens [​IMG]
    That's too baller for me, man. [​IMG] I can only afford the generic ones.

I don't really care about my cheaper shoes so I don't put trees in those.

17. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

18. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Looks like a good deal if you like the commando sole (I do)...no affiliation with seller http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-9-Eyelet-W...#ht_500wt_1156
    These are a good deal even though they are seconds (he does not mention this in his listing). For those who are interested, I would recommend asking what the flaw is (if any).

19. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Is Epaulet the only place you can get a pair of Shell Cordovan LW's in Whiskey color instock?

I just popped into Alden DC to pick up some shoelaces, and they had some whiskey LWs as well as some in ravello. I thought I saw whiskey bal wingtips too, but as I detest bals, didn't pay too much attention to them.

Side note: I am wearing my natural cxl plain toe boots, and Kathy concurred that natural shoe cream is the best thing for them.

Looks like a good deal if you like the commando sole (I do)...no affiliation with seller
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-9-Eyelet-W...#ht_500wt_1156

Not only are they seconds, but they have speed hooks at the top (as opposed to eyelets, as it states in the listing). Not that it's a bad thing, but still.

20. phailing101

phailing101 Senior member

Can anyone tell me if the Copeley Last fits 1/2 size large (similar to the Barrie)?

Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.