• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

themonster

Reaction score
Any guys from Chi-town here? My wife and I are coming in tomorrow until the weekend; how's the streets and snow? Can I get away with rubber/Dainite/Topys or I need some Columbia/Merrell instead?
You are better off wearing real hiking boots, unless you want to scrape off layers of salt from your welt. :)

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of Alden DC - I forgot to ask Kathy what lists she has going for shell makeups.  I know about the cigar cap toe boot, but what else?  I sorta overheard her mention something about another run of the ravello LWB.  Anything else?

I'm on a list for whiskey PTBs at Alden DC. Kathy said she will probably be putting in an order for those shortly.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be worth calling Sky Valet in DC. They don't always update their site, but they do have a few whiskey shell shoes in stock. Best of luck.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on a list for whiskey PTBs at Alden DC. Kathy said she will probably be putting in an order for those shortly.

hmmm the recent shade of whiskey being darker has me intrigued..

price in 2014.. not so much
frown.gif

aldenwear

Reaction score
Any guys from Chi-town here? My wife and I are coming in tomorrow until the weekend; how's the streets and snow? Can I get away with rubber/Dainite/Topys or I need some Columbia/Merrell instead?
Temp supposed to rise about 40 degrees by tomorrow afternoon over the temp now. It is supposed to be a balmy 35 degrees or so on Thursday. There will be a lot of ice on the ground from the past few weeks and it is supposed to snow on Thursday albeit a relative dusting compared to the onslought last week. You will be fine with whatever you wear so long as you plan for moisture.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hmmm the recent shade of whiskey being darker has me intrigued..

price in 2014.. not so much :(

Well by the time she puts the order in, who knows how long it will take for it to be confirmed and then put into production. Might be 2015 or 2016 when they're made, so prices will surely be even higher by then!

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Avoid wearing Aldens or other nice shoes for the time being. Chicago is a great town, but it does a poor job of removing snow and shoveling its sidewalks. Not only will your shoes get salty, but they may also get soaked. I was in Chicago recently and was glad I hadn't brought anything nicer than Indy boots, which I had to dry out and de-salt every night.

Vicious49

Reaction score
I can't speak highly enough of Adam from AoC. I emailed him a few nights ago asking about the shoes I was interested in but noted for him my limited experience with Aldens. He suggested several times that it would be best if I went and got fitted in person at an Alden shop rather than trying to make a quick sale. I'm glad he did because I wouldn't have realized how clunky the Chukka in shell is as well as their PTB. I didn't like either in person but did fall in love with a pair of color 8 captoes at Alden DC. I'm iffy on if I want to keep these Dovers in black shell however.

Speaking of shell, I am pretty new to it myself as these will be my first pairs of shell. I thought they were supposed to be much more durable than calfskin but recently heard that they they're vulnerable to water damage. I've read that sometimes they can develop tiny bumps when wet but go back to normal once dry. Is there anything else that I don't know about shell and water? I did read this thread about water spots on shell - http://www.styleforum.net/t/150022/cordovan-water-spots/0_40

Last edited:

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score

adam is great in hindsight, like the adult in the room. I once really wanted a pair of boots and he told me they wouldnt fit. i told them id make them fit. He say nu-uh, and sure enough he was right

indy shoe today. tobacco chamois has aged nicely in the past couple of months and ive yet to brush them

These are fantastic! Are those on a waterlock sole? Also, who sells (sold) them, please?

dusttruffle

Reaction score
like the new chukkas @ j crew - shame i havn't managed to get a fit for the alden chukka yet. want to try the hald size down + one width.

docalden2013

Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to post much given the hectic pace at work lately.

I forgot it was whiskey weds, so I went with LS #8 WT boots on Plaza instead

Also, finally got on the scoreboard for 2014 with a purchase for the spring/summer with the Leffot white lwbs.

Should be comfy to wear sockless when things warm up someday.

Lots of interesting discussions on classics, the value of the ptb and black shell. FWIW, I wore my black naval pct boots a couple days ago and felt glad to have remembered to wear them for the first time in months. Re classics, I'd have to say it's a tie between the king lwb and ptb. I'm eager to continue breaking in my king unlined dover ptb, but am waiting until it's not so salty around here in NJ.

Stay warm folks!

Vicious49

Reaction score
Yup, the black shell Dovers are going back. They don't seem to go with my semi-casual wardrobe. I did call ShoeMart about these that I've been considering for a few weeks but have been out of stock. They said they just placed another order for them this week so that means I still have to wait 20-22 weeks for Alden to produce them, etc. Black calfskin with a microcell sole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads