• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
24bixad.jpg

whiskey lhs
argyles otc
Fine ensemble for this colder weather! Wear in great health Uncle...

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I look at these they seem new and interesting and yet so classic. A great makeup all around for sure.

johnjmitch

Reaction score
Purely my personal experience and perspective, and many on the thread may have different opinions on the subject.

In my experience, scuff marks, except for the most minor superficial kinds, on Alden Cordovan could be pretty difficult to get rid of. In most instances, what is being scuffed is the overcoat glazing, and not bare Cordovan.

The technique as demonstrated on the well known video on the Internet ( around 8:30 ) really does not apply to the common glazed Cordovan from Alden. As shown on the video, scuff marks and even cuts on bare Cordovan is generally fairly easy to deal with. A little product, may it be paste wax, Renovateur, Venetian cream, plus moderate rubbing and brushing are all it takes.

I completely agree. I have a pair of the Wolverine 744 LTD which I wear without a care in the world. The amount of scuffs and scrapes that are so easily brushed out continue to impress me. My color 8 chukkas on the other hand have scratches and grooves that are damn near impenetrable. I love both shoes but that Alden gloss is mighty tough to get through.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this post is enough on-topic for the thread . . . I'll be in Philadelphia in a few weeks and plan to do some shoe-shopping while there. For Aldens, I figure making the trip to Sherman Brothers is a no-brainer. What are the other go-to places in Philly for shoes? BTW (and here's maybe the off-topic part) I'm not limited to Alden - suggestions for any other local stores that sell brands of similar or higher quality would be welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds recently opened up a shop in Center City. You could also probably check in at Boyds.

mikeharo

Reaction score

Hopefully this post is enough on-topic for the thread . . . I'll be in Philadelphia in a few weeks and plan to do some shoe-shopping while there.  For Aldens, I figure making the trip to Sherman Brothers is a no-brainer.  What are the other go-to places in Philly for shoes?  BTW (and here's maybe the off-topic part) I'm not limited to Aldens - suggestions for any other local stores that sell brands of similar or higher quality would be welcomed.  Thanks in advance!

Boyd's on Chestnut
RL on Walnut
Barney's Co-Op on Walnut

Looking for food recommendations as well?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this post is enough on-topic for the thread . . . I'll be in Philadelphia in a few weeks and plan to do some shoe-shopping while there. For Aldens, I figure making the trip to Sherman Brothers is a no-brainer. What are the other go-to places in Philly for shoes? BTW (and here's maybe the off-topic part) I'm not limited to Alden - suggestions for any other local stores that sell brands of similar or higher quality would be welcomed. Thanks in advance!
There is a thread somewhere that compiled a list of menswear shops in cities around the world. Don't recall the title, but shouldn't be hard to find. I believe it is in General Chat.

coinopcollector

Reaction score

Purely my personal experience and perspective, and many on the thread may have different opinions on the subject.

In my experience, scuff marks, except for the most minor superficial kinds, on Alden Cordovan could be pretty difficult to get rid of. In most instances, what is being scuffed is the overcoat glazing, and not bare Cordovan.

The technique as demonstrated on the well known video on the Internet ( around 8:30 ) really does not apply to the common glazed Cordovan from Alden. As shown on the video, scuff marks and even cuts on bare Cordovan is generally fairly easy to deal with. A little product, may it be paste wax, Renovateur, Venetian cream, plus moderate rubbing and brushing are all it takes.

Agree 100%. Scuffs in Alden shell, or even scratches are usually in the glazing and very difficult to get out. Brushing does not work IMHO. I do not have the same problem with my C&J or AE shell, rubbing or brushing them gets rid of the problem. I can't see the deer bone method working on Alden shell either, but I think the whole deer bone thing is ridiculous anyway.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boyd's on Chestnut
RL on Walnut
Barney's Co-Op on Walnut

Looking for food recommendations as well?
stirpot.gif
Pat's or Geno's? Provolone or cheese whiz?
I'll go with Pat's and provolone...
nest.gif

(In actuality, neither is really all that...)

Last edited:

Todd V

Reaction score

:stirpot: Pat's or Gino's?  Provolone or cheese whiz?
I'll go with Pat's and provolone...  :nest:

(In actuality, neither is really all that...)

Pats and provolone for sure.

I think the other guys listed all the shoe spots in fluff-ya. If you are looking for other than shoes, I can make some suggestions as well.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DiNic's pork sandwich is better than any cheesesteak.

Last edited:

tampatravel

Reaction score

Hopefully this post is enough on-topic for the thread . . . I'll be in Philadelphia in a few weeks and plan to do some shoe-shopping while there.  For Aldens, I figure making the trip to Sherman Brothers is a no-brainer.  What are the other go-to places in Philly for shoes?  BTW (and here's maybe the off-topic part) I'm not limited to Alden - suggestions for any other local stores that sell brands of similar or higher quality would be welcomed.  Thanks in advance!

Mettler's American Mercantile & Totem Brand are both worth taking a trip to.

Vicious49

Reaction score
I think I might be making my first shell purchase and this thread has a lot to do with that. Thinking of getting the AF18 from alden of Carmel which is the chukka with #8 cordovan with their commando sole. I wear chukkas more than anything else and I figure these should be as versatile as they come.

I've never ordered from them before and I don't see a phone number listed anywhere on their site. Is the best way to order from them by email? Also, I'm guessing they don't run any type of sales and discounts? Just wanted to make sure so I don't order it and then a week later they're running a 15% discount code.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads