1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

...and now for something completely different: Alden is known for its triple-strength steel shanks. Would you say their shoes are more comfortable than others after a day of heavy walking?

2. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

I have a pair of AE dalton boots, which doesnt have the steel shank. I like Wearing Alden so much more. The shank gives the boots a very soild feeling and I love it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  3. inn8chiro

inn8chiro Senior member

I forgot to post this, but they did the same for me to. Adam took care of me on that deal for sure. Cheers to unionmade.

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

These green shoes from Alden would look good with Barbour olive jackets (Bedale, Beaufort, Liddesdale) this season

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

That's interesting as I have been frustrated with AEs widths lately. Alden stocks all their factory shoes in a ton of widths, check AldenShoe.com. They don't typically skip widths. If they don't have one in stock, they will immediately make you a pair. I did this with both my 975s and 9751s. Of course immediate is 18 weeks... AE has not been making C widths on many of their newer lasts, which has forced me to be creative, if you actually look into it, AE actually has a sparse width array and frequently skips widths, but they are readily visible on their site. One frustration on Alden special makeups is they limit runs to three widths for some unknown reason. They just do. Also, as you alluded to, their vendor special makeups are a pain to figure out.

In terms of comfort, they all really come out equal to me if they fit properly, although rubber soles like the Commando (Mini-Lug in AE) or the Neocork can help insulate shock some.

-Mike

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Comfort is such an interestingly relative phenomenon. I've got a few biomechanical foot issues (hallux valgus, pronation, arch pain, and achilles tendonitis), and when I first made the switch from cemented "comfort shoes" to goodyear welted shoes, I found that my pain from all these ailments intensified.

Over time, however, as my physiology strengthened and adapted, I've come to find single leather soles (once broken in) to be far more comfortable than anything else, even squishy commandos, lugs, or gumlite.

I guess my foot ligaments, tendons, and muscles were rather atrophied from years of being coddled by shoes that cradled and babies them.

8. walds11

walds11 Senior member

9. sazon

sazon Senior member

@bobb0316
    @mcarthur
    @mdubs
    @intensanity

Thanks for the kind words!

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I am the least fashion thinking person on SF so please take my thoughts with a grain of salt..I do not see that ever working with a suit.

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

12. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

They were made to be worn with Khakis/Chinos/Polos. Suits are a little too much most I will do with Suede is dress slacks and collared shirt with no tie.

1 person likes this.
  13. sazon

sazon Senior member

Maiden voyage for these j crew Collabs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

look great

15. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

This is strange. Allen-Edmonds does not use shanks at all, even though they are an industry-standard on GW shoes with prices like Loake's. Shankless pairs shouldn't be more comfortable because they won't absorb or dampen the stress of walking and stomping with the 60kg+ weight of an adult male. If you're used to barefoot running or moccasins, shankless walking will likely feel more natural.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I would wear them with everything listed except the suit.

17. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Those are beautiful, here is to hoping for a restock of my size so i can get one with straight holes...;)

18. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

As a side note... Love this J crew Indy... Super comfy and only 12 wears in...

[​IMG]

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

20. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Thanks guys. I guess no suede with a suit.

I like these in suede...

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...d-51670_ald_m_medallion_tip_bal_calfskin.html

Would these go with jeans as well as business casual attire? I tend to not go for plain toe shoes and boots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.