***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar indy boots

2. 1969

1969 Senior member

It's not.
    They're OK, but not made with welt construction so the support and comfort isn't on par.
    I'd save up for the LHS in Cordovan. Yes, they're a lot more expensive but it would be the last loafer you ever have to buy.

Thanks. Looking closely I can see they are not welted. Unfortunate as I actually prefer the chunky style and high vamp. I may order them anyhow, as I'm looking at them like a beater shoe. BTW, your blog is a nice service and I may order a pair from Unionmade rather than Shoemart as sign of my appreciation for your efforts.

3. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Thanks. Looking closely I can see they are not welted. Unfortunate as I actually prefer the chunky style and high vamp. I may order them anyhow, as I'm looking at them like a beater shoe. BTW, your blog is a nice service and I may order a pair from Unionmade rather than Shoemart as sign of my appreciation for your efforts.

Thanks!
    I'm always glad to help people with Alden questions.

I think the beefrolls will be perfect for that type of shoe. They do have a much more vintage penny loafer look too...

BTW, nice picture of Marfa!

4. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey lhs

6. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

cigar indy boots

I REALLY, REALLY like the look of those.
    Here's my Ravello NSTs. The color is actually darker and redder than I had expected (and what appears in photos)

[​IMG]

Interesting. They look like cigar in the pic. Do you like the color?

Alden Indy while walking down one of my projects
    [​IMG]

Nice! Interesting pic!
    [​IMG]
    whiskey lhs

I need to get something like this.

7. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

Interesting. They look like cigar in the pic. Do you like the color?

Yes, I do like the color. Although the picture makes them look as dark as cigar (the color in the photo is virtually identical to the cigar indys in the picture right above it), they are in fact several shades lighter --- very similar to the Allen Edmonds color "chili".

8. werdswerf

werdswerf Well-Known Member

So, I just moved to the Pacific Northwest and am in the market for a pair of shell long wing bluchers (in either black or color 8). Problem is, I think I need that double waterloc sole, and I'm having difficulty finding a place that sells this specific combination. Can anybody help me out?

9. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

umm... I haven't seen that combination anywhere, so I would just get regular longwings and wear them. once the soles wear out after a couple of years, then get them re-soled with the type you like. changing the soles from regular leather to the oiled leather right when you get them would be an extreme waste of money IMO.

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Hey guys, sorry if I'm going to open a can of worms here...but here goes:

Do any of you fellas own C&J? If so, how would you compare it to Alden? I want to buy a pair just for kicks, but it seems like it's quite a hassle. No local stores carry them and to get them resoled, they need to be sent back to England.

11. ltb

ltb Senior member

[​IMG]

phone pic - I think a nice camera may be on the Christmas list this year...

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Hey guys, sorry if I'm going to open a can of worms here...but here goes:

Do any of you fellas own C&J? If so, how would you compare it to Alden? I want to buy a pair just for kicks, but it seems like it's quite a hassle. No local stores carry them and to get them resoled, they need to be sent back to England.

Yes. You know most of the Ralph Lauren made in England shoes are by C&J as well as many of the Brooks Bros ones (the others being Alfred Sergent).

C&J seem to be slightly better made than Alden but I stil like Alden better.
    There's no requirement that you send them to England to be resoled.

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Yes. You know most of the Ralph Lauren made in England shoes are by C&J as well as many of the Brooks Bros ones (the others being Alfred Sergent).

C&J seem to be slightly better made than Alden but I stil like Alden better.
    There's no requirement that you send them to England to be resoled.

If they are better than Alden, even by a bit..why do you prefer Alden? Styling perhaps?

I want to try a pair of cap toe boots from C&J, but the turn off is the loop on the back of the shoes. [​IMG]

If you want them to be resoled by C&J themselves, you would have to send them back to England, no? Unless they have a satellite site in the states.

14. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

Of course, but they dont HAVE to be resoled by C&J...

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

If they are better than Alden, even by a bit..why do you prefer Alden? Styling perhaps?

I want to try a pair of cap toe boots from C&J, but the turn off is the loop on the back of the shoes. [​IMG]

If you want them to be resoled by C&J themselves, you would have to send them back to England, no? Unless they have a satellite site in the states.

lots of people like Made in USA.

also, it's not like there are exact like models to choose from in lots of cases. C&J doesn't make anything close to an Indy, I don't think they make longwings, they don't use whiskey or ravello shell, their shell offerings in general are more limited, etc

flip side is they have other styles

also, alden, though not easy, is easier to try on in person in the US

really, you should be asking questions like, if I want a burgundy cordovan PTB, should I go with the Alden 9901 or the C&J Ashdown?

otherwise it's kind of a silly question

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.