• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just receive the 975 replacement. I measure the width of the shoes and found that left shoe is 1mm wider than the right shoe.Also, the medallion looks a bit off. Is this a big problem? Any other problem on the shoes that should be a deal breaker? Thanks in advance
I suspect, though I could be wrong, that any difference (left vs. right) you feel in the fit is due to your feet being asymmetric, and not due to a 1 mm difference in sole width. If the shoes fit well, I would not be concerned with this. The nick in the welt looks entirely normal to me. As for the medallion, I definitely notice that one begins closer to the welt than the other. Also, the tips of wingtips (on the vamp) are slightly different as well. I believe both of these issues are pretty common, but it's your call. Since the 975 is a stock model, it should be easy to get a replacement, unless you take a narrow width. Of course, it sounds like you've already done this. Third time's a charm?

PeterL

Reaction score
it sounds like you are looking for the perfect shoe. Alden is probably not the right brand if thats what you are looking for. Maybe try Edward Green.....I think they are more in the business of constructing a flawless shoe.
Thanks for the advice. I will check it out.

PeterL

Reaction score
I suspect, though I could be wrong, that any difference (left vs. right) you feel in the fit is due to your feet being asymmetric, and not due to a 1 mm difference in sole width. If the shoes fit well, I would not be concerned with this.

The nick in the welt looks entirely normal to me.

As for the medallion, I definitely notice that one begins closer to the welt than the other. Also, the tips of wingtips (on the vamp) are slightly different as well. I believe both of these issues are pretty common, but it's your call. Since the 975 is a stock model, it should be easy to get a replacement, unless you take a narrow width. Of course, it sounds like you've already done this. Third time's a charm?
I also thought it could be my feet being asymmetric plus its not really bothering with the little different. I just wanted to mention it to see if one have the same problem.

The only thing bother me is that i purchase them as first quality. First the dye stains and now the medallion problem. I figure will just buy seconds on my next purchase.

Subutai

Reaction score
Morning gents, just got back from a three week trip to Asia. Had to travel very light and allowed myself only one pair of shoes. I opted for these Alden Tobacco Chamois, and they held up beautifully! Worn almost everyday, all day! (Please excuse the ratty denim):

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enough about the freaking medallions already! Unless you're perfect, don't expect the same from a shoe.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL Dovers on a casual Friday:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

They'll just send the horses to mexico to be slaughtered less humanely.

Hides are also imported from other countries to domestic tanneries.

Don't worry, it doesn't mean that Horween is shutting down.

I was just going to say that I thought most horse hides were imported anyway?

sammy

Reaction score
What do you all think about the chukka on the barrie last with double water lock sole in natty cxl? Would this be a versatile all around boot?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you all think about the chukka on the barrie last with double water lock sole in natty cxl? Would this be a versatile all around boot?
It is causal, so limited versatility in that sense, but plenty versatile within the casual realm. The color is easy to work with.

If you like the chukka style and are looking for something casual that will develop a lot of character quickly, this is a winner.

thonez

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with using alden recraft on natural chromexcel, specifically ptb's?

thams

Reaction score
They'll just send the horses to mexico to be slaughtered less humanely.

Hides are also imported from other countries to domestic tanneries.

Don't worry, it doesn't mean that Horween is shutting down.

I thought the hides were mostly imported as well. Not trying to start the whole "shell scarcity" conversation again -- just want the shell to keep flowing! I still have a collection to build...

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since there is no market int he US for the meat (USDA banned slaughterhouses), most horse hides are from Canada or Mexico...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads