• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Darn you guys!!! I have always really wanted to go to Italy!!! Now you guys are making it even more tempting. That looks absolutely beautiful and just searching the Internet and Wiki about Ravello, Italy, it just looks magnificent. Maybe I should have another Ravello week, but this time Ravello, Italy! :)

Have a good one.

-Mike

Sell current Ravello week and fund another Ravello week!! Problem solved

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only one man's opinion, but here goes...

My casual workplace precludes me from having much use for many pairs of dress shoes. But, even if I did have the opportunity to wear dress shoes more often, I don't think I'd buy/wear a captoe blucher. Its very existence seems rather odd duck to me; to me, straight captoe says "dress shoe" and blucher says "casual shoe". Obviously, the double sole and the cordovan take it down a level or two on the the formality scale; but, even with that combo, I still find the straight cap blucher "off". I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I'm even put off by most punch cap bluchers, though not as much as straight cap bluchers.
I wear mine all the time with suits. In addition, 99% of the population see the captoe and think, "business wear". Here are my dble sole BB/2160s shells:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I've always admired this make-up. Well done cool arrow

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pat, I think I remember you saying you achieved this shine with just a brush and cloth, but no product, is that right?  I can't help but doubt that you didn't use any wax.

No wax on the cigar PTB's. The #8 boots have seen wax on the cap. PTB's looked great out of the box but I'm guessing I used Reno on those at some point before the pic was taken.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/SPOILER]

nephew,
good shine on your cigars
thanks uncle.

Sir, as per your request, here is a comparison of the "Rare" Shells in the LWB.

Left to Right: Whiskey, Cigar, Ravello w/ Dark Edges, Ravello w/ Antique Edges

Left to Right: Cigar, Ravello w/ Dark Edges, Ravello w/ Antique Edges

-Mike
'92 Barcelona dream team right there. I think the cigars would be mj.

The view from Villa Cimbrone is probably one of the most beautiful things on earth.
have not made it to villa cimbrone or the real ravello yet. went to lake louise in Canada years ago. it was majestic.
not my picture, we went before digital cameras.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16 "favorite alden" entries so far
i'll add them up and share results after the charger-broncos game sunday night.
because i'm a huge nerd.

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yet another pair of Aldens. My 7th maybe? I've lost count of them. 3rd Alden shell pair in any case.

A rare cap-toe blucher model (with double leather sole) which fit me very nicely and look exquisite. They are the most versatile shoes I can imagine right now. However, I'm a bit concerned about having too many pairs of shoes already and of course I invested a considerable amount of money in them, so it would be a pity if I wouldn't use them much. I'm kind of afraid that longwings and other shoes that fit my style best marginalize them.

Your thoughts?

If you wear suits, sport coats, and wool trousers regularly, and especially if you're okay with wearing bluchers with suits, then like sevenfoldtieguy said, I think this shoe is a great option. Otherwise, they could still work for you, but it's not as clear a choice.

My work attire is pretty casual -- usually chinos (sometimes denim on Fridays) and an OCBD. While I've considered a CTB in the past, I've decided that PTB, NST, LHS, etc. better suit my needs and style. I would, however, consider a CTB boot because I think it's much easier to wear them casually (yet they can still be dressed up).

Last edited:

coinopcollector

Reaction score
Favorite for now are my new wingtip color 8 boots on commando. Dream makeup would be a medallion Captoe boot on commando , color 8 with an antique edge. BTW I would wear both with a suit.
As for the formality issue, that black balmoral standard is dead IMHO. I'm a lawyer and and wear a suit often and at least a jacket and tie most days. I was in court yesterday with about 15 other lawyers in suits. I wore a grey BB 1818 suit with my wingtip commando color 8 boots. I easily had on the nicest shoes. Most of the others, even if they were wearing nice suits had on crappy rubber soled shoes or the standard Bostonian or J&M black calf balmorals all beat up and in need of a shine and new heals.
I personally don't care for balmorals and have never owned a single pair. I am a blucher man all the way.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Favorite for now are my new wingtip color 8 boots on commando. Dream makeup would be a medallion Captoe boot on commando , color 8 with an antique edge. BTW I would wear both with a suit.
As for the formality issue, that black balmoral standard is dead IMHO. I'm a lawyer and and wear a suit often and at least a jacket and tie most days. I was in court yesterday with about 15 other lawyers in suits. I wore a grey BB 1818 suit with my wingtip commando color 8 boots. I easily had on the nicest shoes. Most of the others, even if they were wearing nice suits had on crappy rubber soled shoes or the standard Bostonian or J&M black calf balmorals all beat up and in need of a shine and new heals.
I personally don't care for balmorals and have never owned a single pair. I am a blucher man all the way.

Exactly right (though I like my balmorals)

Last edited:

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite shoe (that I own) is the Tanker Boot in colour 8.

My dream shoe would be a cigar tanker or a whiskey long wing.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. The notion of Bluchers not being adequately dressy always struck me as strange.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends where you work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads