• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black calfskin captoe oxford is more "formal" than basically any cordovan shoe, but a black cordovan shoe in the same style is formal enough for more or less 100% of business situations. I don't see any difference in formality between brown/burgundy calfskin or any of the brown/burgundy cordovan shades in the same style.

Last edited:

PeterL

Reaction score
You just missed a pre-order that Alden NYC was offering. I think I got the last spot about a month ago when I reserved my size, but give them a call just to double check.
Thanks. I will send an email to inquire the pre-order to double check. Thanks!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet another pair of Aldens. My 7th maybe? I've lost count of them. 3rd Alden shell pair in any case.

A rare cap-toe blucher model (with double leather sole) which fit me very nicely and look exquisite. They are the most versatile shoes I can imagine right now. However, I'm a bit concerned about having too many pairs of shoes already and of course I invested a considerable amount of money in them, so it would be a pity if I wouldn't use them much. I'm kind of afraid that longwings and other shoes that fit my style best marginalize them.

Your thoughts?

Only one man's opinion, but here goes...

My casual workplace precludes me from having much use for many pairs of dress shoes. But, even if I did have the opportunity to wear dress shoes more often, I don't think I'd buy/wear a captoe blucher. Its very existence seems rather odd duck to me; to me, straight captoe says "dress shoe" and blucher says "casual shoe". Obviously, the double sole and the cordovan take it down a level or two on the the formality scale; but, even with that combo, I still find the straight cap blucher "off". I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I'm even put off by most punch cap bluchers, though not as much as straight cap bluchers.

For professional business dress, the shell cordovan captoe blucher may be the single most versatile model in a man's closest.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yet another pair of Aldens. My 7th maybe? I've lost count of them. 3rd Alden shell pair in any case.

A rare cap-toe blucher model (with double leather sole) which fit me very nicely and look exquisite. They are the most versatile shoes I can imagine right now. However, I'm a bit concerned about having too many pairs of shoes already and of course I invested a considerable amount of money in them, so it would be a pity if I wouldn't use them much. I'm kind of afraid that longwings and other shoes that fit my style best marginalize them.

Your thoughts?

Tommi, these really are a versatile style. A colleague of my fathers, who wore nothing but handmade shoes his whole life, always seemed to be wearing this shoe in either a black or dark burgundy brown. He said he preferred derby's over oxfords because he liked to walk a lot and they allowed for foot swelling over a long day or a big meal. What style and last are those and where did you get them? Very nice!

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For professional business dress, the shell cordovan captoe blucher may be the single most versatile model in a man's closest.

Could you elaborate on the difference in formality and use case of the cordovan captoe blucher versus the cordovan captoe balmoral (either in punch or straight tip)? I'm curious as to your thoughts.

I guess I've worn my black captoe shell boots with suits, so I should have no issue with the blucher...

Francks

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I wear a 9D captoe boots on the barrie last. They fit me great.
However when the laces are not tied using the hooks (so just using the bottom holes), I feel like my heels could slip.

Of course nobody wears his boots like this but I tried this to imagine how a ptb would fit since I plan to purchase the 990.

So, Do you think I should take another width size for the ptb like 9C or the shoes in 9D will likely fit me (still barrie last) ?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is correct. I just got the PTBs last week, but have had the LHS and LWBs for about a month. With the holidays I didn't wear Alden's as much, as I mainly wear them to work.

Other shoes that I have that not ventured out yet is:
-Cigar LWB (although they have been carpet broken in)
-Color 8 Full Strap
-AE Snuff Suede Chukka
-C&J for RL Gianni Boot

I *think* that is all. I like to photograph my shoes before I wear them at my conference table in my office at work and sometimes it takes me time to do that.

-Mike
If you keep acquiring shoes at the rate that you are going, you are going to end up having a lot of shoes. (You probably already do!)

A photo of the town of Ravello that I took a couple of years ago:
It's funny that you are the one that took that picture, because it always comes up in google image searches for "Ravello". (And why wouldn't it)

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Did you see the Villa Cimbrone and the Villa Rufolo?

^ One of the most beautiful places I've ever been. They chose a worthy name for that shade. Which seems to match many-a-rooftop.

A photo of the town of Ravello that I took a couple of years ago:

Darn you guys!!! I have always really wanted to go to Italy!!! Now you guys are making it even more tempting. That looks absolutely beautiful and just searching the Internet and Wiki about Ravello, Italy, it just looks magnificent. Maybe I should have another Ravello week, but this time Ravello, Italy! :)

Have a good one.

-Mike

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could you elaborate on the difference in formality and use case of the cordovan captoe blucher versus the cordovan captoe balmoral (either in punch or straight tip)? I'm curious as to your thoughts.

I guess I've worn my black captoe shell boots with suits, so I should have no issue with the blucher...

This is how I wear them (others may see it differently - no problem).

shell captoe bal - just suits
shell captoe blucher - suits, or any number of ensembles involving shirt and tie, wool trousers, sport coat, blazer, merino wool button up vest, sweater, etc.; I do not wear them casually

Traditional rules of fashion say bals only with suits. While I have no problem if another adheres to this, I do not - there are entirely too many blucher models (and monks - say, EG Westminster) that are at least as dressy, if not dressier, than various bals. To say nothing of the fact that nearly all men (and I seriously mean that) don't even know the difference between a bal and blucher.

I virtually never wear Barrie lasted shoes with suits.

I don't wear boots with suits, but it can be pulled off if the overall ensemble is right.

On the formality scale, a black calf captoe bal and a black shell captoe bal ( and I have both) finish in a dead heat for all practical purposes. Indeed, I dare say more people "on the street" - if the two were compared - would select the shell version as more formal, if only on shine alone.

Gents: have a good weekend.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite were these. Sadly they went back to TSM for refund after 3-4 months of trying to fix the finish.

Most coveted would likely be Roguls' cigar PT boot from Anatomica (not sure if I have the details right).

Lastly, my Jcrew PCT's get a lot of wear, especially this time of year.

Lastly, lastly...these non-aldens have become my go-to for rain and snow due to the dainite sole.

Edited to add:

I just got busted by a 10 and 7 yr old yelling, "Daddy, come on! It's Friday night, pizza night, movie night! Stop looking at shoes on your computer!"

They are absolutely right. Have a nice weekend all. Percy Jackson & pizza await.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My favorite were these. Sadly they went back to TSM for refund after 3-4 months of trying to fix the finish. Most coveted would likely be Roguls' cigar PT boot from Anatomica (not sure if I have the details right). Lastly, my Jcrew PCT's get a lot of wear, especially this time of year. Lastly, lastly...these non-aldens have become my go-to for rain and snow due to the dainite sole.
Edited to add: I just got busted by a 10 and 7 yr old yelling, "Daddy, come on! It's Friday night, pizza night, movie night! Stop looking at shoes on your computer!" They are absolutely right. Have a nice weekend all. Percy Jackson & pizza await.
Great shots.......even better story. Enjoy pizza night.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how I wear them (others may see it differently - no problem).

shell captoe bal - just suits
shell captoe blucher - suits, or any number of ensembles involving shirt and tie, wool trousers, sport coat, blazer, merino wool button up vest, sweater, etc.; I do not wear them casually

Traditional rules of fashion say bals only with suits. While I have no problem if another adheres to this, I do not - there are entirely too many blucher models (and monks - say, EG Westminster) that are at least as dressy, if not dressier, than various bals. To say nothing of the fact that nearly all men (and I seriously mean that) don't even know the difference between a bal and blucher.

I virtually never wear Barrie lasted shoes with suits.

I don't wear boots with suits, but it can be pulled off if the overall ensemble is right.

On the formality scale, a black calf captoe bal and a black shell captoe bal ( and I have both) finish in a dead heat for all practical purposes. Indeed, I dare say more people "on the street" - if the two were compared - would select the shell version as more formal, if only on shine alone.

Gents: have a good weekend.
I support this ascertain entirely

My favorite were these. Sadly they went back to TSM for refund after 3-4 months of trying to fix the finish.

Most coveted would likely be Roguls' cigar PT boot from Anatomica (not sure if I have the details right).

Lastly, my Jcrew PCT's get a lot of wear, especially this time of year.

Lastly, lastly...these non-aldens have become my go-to for rain and snow due to the dainite sole.

Edited to add:

I just got busted by a 10 and 7 yr old yelling, "Daddy, come on! It's Friday night, pizza night, movie night! Stop looking at shoes on your computer!"

They are absolutely right. Have a nice weekend all. Percy Jackson & pizza await.
Pat, I think I remember you saying you achieved this shine with just a brush and cloth, but no product, is that right? I can't help but doubt that you didn't use any wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads