***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theuglylover

theuglylover Well-Known Member

I think I got the recomendation from Alden of Carmel; occasional application of Neat's foot oil.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

You don't want the compound. You're gonna want pure neatsfoot.

2. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Question for the Ravello owners, what wax polish do you use? Color and manufacturer?
    Thanks

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I got my dark brown J Crew Longwings in yesterday and will be returning them. The dark brown is too dark, looks basically black. Do you guys know if Alden makes a ligther shade than 'dark brown', but still a deep brown in real life?

4. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

Question for the Ravello owners, what wax polish do you use? Color and manufacturer? Thanks
    I used either Lincoln (preferred) or Kiwi, Light Brown for Ravello and even Cigar. I don't think it can be said enough, that the amount of polish (very thin layer) makes the color of the polish almost irrelevant. So thin, in fact, that I've yet to see the color of the wax on the actual shoes. Light Brown should do fine for you. Apply it using a fine, very-slightly damp cloth. This allows the polish to spread thinly and not clump. Work it into the entire shoe and you'll notice a high shine after a few minutes. Allow to dry (20-30min). Brush like you're nuts about it and then buff with a buffing cloth. Works wonders.

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 ptb

6. gululv

gululv Senior member

I have just ordered a pair of Alden Indy in kudu leather (the ultimate Indy). Have anyone experience with wearing this in snow? How should I take care of it? Just spray it from time to time or something more serious? LS wrote me that because the boots have "a lot of natural oils in it, it should be fine." Any first hand experience?

7. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

Anyone know of a shop in Portland that sells Aldens that's worth checking out? Headed down for the night and wouldn't mind taking advantage of no sales tax.

8. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior member

Anyone know of a shop in Portland that sells Aldens that's worth checking out? Headed down for the night and wouldn't mind taking advantage of no sales tax.

http://winnperry.com/

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Question for the Ravello owners, what wax polish do you use? Color and manufacturer?
    Thanks

The Alden Shop in SF recommends you use the same - Alden brand - polish for Ravello and Cigar. I can't recall what Alden calls their shade of dark brown.

10. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior member

The Alden Shop in SF recommends you use the same - Alden brand - polish for Ravello and Cigar. I can't recall what Alden calls their shade of dark brown.

According to the booklet that came with my ravello wingtips, I should use color #8 polish.

Guess Alden should look into updating their collateral...

11. scb

scb Senior member

I have just ordered a pair of Alden Indy in kudu leather (the ultimate Indy). Have anyone experience with wearing this in snow? How should I take care of it? Just spray it from time to time or something more serious? LS wrote me that because the boots have "a lot of natural oils in it, it should be fine." Any first hand experience?

I have the ones from last year and I haven't sprayed them with anything or treated them with anything. They've been in rain and snow

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

According to the booklet that came with my ravello wingtips, I should use color #8 polish.

Guess Alden should look into updating their collateral...

Or the person at Alden SF didn't know what he was talking about!

13. mcbuck

mcbuck New Member

I almost didn't include the link. I'm glad I did so I know to toss the compound and buy the pure oil. Thanks.

14. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 ptb

Nice socks - I have a pr!

15. Stamper1924

Stamper1924 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.