1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Thanks! I'd like to see some pics of your suede Indy's. The snuff suede color is hard to pin down in pics. It's looks like a medium golden brown. Anyway, they are sharp looking boots that will pair well with jeans and khakis.

2. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

My understanding is that all Alden shops are independently owned and I don't think Alden controls their shipping charges. Alden Madison charges me $10 and TSM is free.

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

That sage boot is awesome...if they made my size I would haver ordered. Barrie boots in 12 barely fit so I am assuming the Aberdeen 12 will be way to tight.

4. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

5. epc2

epc2 Senior member

I really hope that's the case , if not they'll look almost like my Ravello and makes no sense to me having almost the same shade on the same style.

6. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

Does anyone know why Alden (and maybe others) can't consistently replicate the color of their cordovan? (i.e. lighter / darker shades of ravello).

7. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

horsies with unique butts?

8. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior member

Because it's a natural product produced from horse hide and not all horses are alike. Furthermore, the Horween Cordovan is dyed and finished by hand and thus varies batch to batch before a company like Alden even receives the leather.

9. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

that's a great shine. do you use wax only on the cap toes? i don't like applying wax where shell bends.

shoulda, coulda, didn't.
    your boots look awesome zennypoo.

10. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

Thanks! All good info.

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Alden DC and SF are owned by the factory. Each store has a different policy.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  12. walds11

walds11 Senior member

13. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Thank you Sir.

Cap Toes are probably the easiest to shine and keep shiny. I too do not like too much polish in the rolls because it will just bloom back out anyway and you will have to wipe or brush it away.

When I do a full shine here are my steps:

1. Saphir Reno or VSC
    2. Bordeaux cream
    3. Paste wax

Due to the incredibly dense pore structure of cordovan you only need minuscule amounts of these products.

This procedure is only done 3 to 4 times a year maximum. In between, lots of horse hair buffing. And, for the cap toes, an occasional thin layer of wax on the toe only to renew the high shine.

Also, I have a; "Secret Weapon" I use that I will share in this thread at a later time.

Thanks!

14. sazon

sazon Senior member

Color 8 Indys showed up about a month earlier than expected from TSM.

They're a very dark color 8 but the finish and details are great. No blotchy dye spots like some of my other color 8 boots.

360 welt, commando and no speed hooks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Congrats Saz! Early delivery seems to be the exception lately come on leffot navals.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

The only time that any type of "pre-mature delivery" is welcomed!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  17. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

great looking boots sazon. glad to hear you got a good pair.

18. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thank you for sharing your technique, your boots are shiny.

19. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

I recently got my first pair of shell boots (Alden/Jcrew Color 8 cap toe) and I was hoping for some advice on care products: I know Alden suggests using their color 8 cream, but is there a good neutral product anyone would suggest for when it is time to polish? I don't use shoe trees and I'm wearing these pretty hard, not looking to keep them perfect and high gloss shine but also don't want to neglect them entirely. I want the leather to fade and patina naturally and don't want to re-darken with cream.

Thanks in advance!

20. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Take a look at the ALDEN FAQ thread by our fellow member @mdubs and you'll have the answer.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.