1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

I picked up the Snuff Roys as well and they have quickly become one of my go-to pieces of footwear. Alden suede really is fantastic.

1 person likes this.
  2. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Sounds like the shoes don't fit. Double leather sole is less flexible and a little heel slippage is the norm in new shoes with double leather and will end when the double leather breaks in. But you are using tongue pads just to have the shoes stay on your feet. The shoes are too big. You should try 1/2 size smaller. Or, if the length is good, one width more narrow.

3. Royteane

Royteane Well-Known Member

I 'm looking to for a new pair of color 8. I have marlow wingtip, brown Smokejumper work boots and a stupid black loafer.

Which model should be good additional to my stuff?
    I'm quite tight width fit in 10d crockett and jones wing tip, a little bit wider is preferable. what should be my Alden berrie size?

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The bag contains the heirloom cardigan in navy. Great piece.

The trousers are olive herringbone Walts that Epaulet did last year. I'll probably get two more Walts soon

5. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

Learn something new every day.....thanks DV!

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I bought the 10.5E knowing that you'd give me triple the price just to get your hands on another green shoe.

Muuahahahahahahahah

7. sazon

sazon Senior member

Indy 401 looks great. Its good seeing an Indy other than the usual colors.

8. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Great great combo. I'm always impressed by the ensembles you put together. Too, some "left handed compliments" are meant with all the best. I'm evolving on saddles... Thanks.

9. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

[​IMG]

:D

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I finally got a chance to check these out in person. Quality-wise, I don't think they're even worth the $100. I have the J. Crew Kenton suede bucks and kind of like them (especially at a discount), but the Pacers are a far far cry from Indys.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I would probably go 10D on the Barrie. There are tons of options that you may want to consider. Either the Color 8 Longwing Blucher or Plain Toe Blucher are Alden classics and for a good reason and both are Barrie.

-Mike

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Much thanks my friend!

13. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Is the consensus here that most people go TTS on the Aberdeen? I know it's very narrow and I've heard some people just can't wear it or go up a width.

What do people typically wear in Aberdeen (who found that it works for them) compared to other lasts?

14. walds11

walds11 Senior member

I pulled the trigger on a pair of Alden Indy Snuff Suede boots from the Alden Shop in San Fran. They will be delivered to my door step this coming Friday. I can't wait. This is my first pair of Alden's. This thread enabled me, thanks a lot guys :) It was tough to drop this kind of dough on a pair of boots, but hey you only live once right?!? I have a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers and a pair of Wolverine Courtland 1000 Mile boots, so these suede beauties will complement my boot collection very nicely.

1 person likes this.
  15. FLW

FLW Senior member

I am a pretty true 9C and in Barrie I can just make an 8.5D work. I could certainly not go sockless, as my heel would pop right out. When I wear Aberdeen 9D the toe feels comfy but not snug. The heel is better but still slips a bit.

I would think that if you are anywhere close to needing an E width that D in Aberdeen might be too narrow at the toe.

16. epc2

epc2 Senior member

My brief experience with Aberdeen was with an NST blucher the toebox was tight while the heel was still big maybe a tad narrower than Barrie but not by much , , it was a D width , I'm sure an E width was going to be fine on the toebox but not on the heel , IMHO this last has a weird toebox/heel proportion.

17. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

[​IMG]

Nothing fancy here, but here's a pic of my 403s after about 10 wears. I am very happy with the CXL, which doesn't seem to have any of the problems that you sometimes see on it.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mghart

Mghart Senior member

Question for you guys. I'm looking to get my first shell purchase underway, but wanted to ask about two boots. I'm debating between a color 8 tanker(citi shoes) and a perf. Cap-toe(j crew). I just wanted to ask those that have either about the versatility between the two. Can the tankers be dressed up, or are they strictly more casual with the commando sole? The cap-toe seems like it could go either way a little easier, but I still wanted to ask. The obvious answer is 'get both', and at some point that may be the case. For now I can only get one however. Thoughts?

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I personally don't think that the commando sole has any effect on the versatility. I wear both my #8 Tankers on Commando and my straight tip #8 boots on leather to work in a business casual (no denim) environment and they both look equally at home. I would get the style you like the best. As you can tell by my avatar...I love me some tankers!

20. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

Considering the you already have the marlow, I'd recommend the Color 8 plain to blucher as a more casual shoe or a Color 8 tanker boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.