***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dport86

dport86 Senior member

I was looking for the perfect boot to trek the Andes but also climb on the Orient Express Hiram Bingham train and walk into good restaurants and hotels. Tried a pair of Russells but they were too clunky. Didn't feel my Todd's boots had enough ankle support or were waterproof. Tried some new generation Palladiums and found the fit loose and the support non-existent (though the soles were nice and sticky)--also a little too casual. Didn't want to wear any of my shell boots in the rain due to past welting issues. Finally settled on a pair of the chromexcel Hawaiian Tankers with the commando soles. Put 4 coats of Obenauf's LP on them and broke them in lightly before the trip. Happy to report that they held up magnificently on the Inka trail, up and down Macchu Picchu and Huayna Picchu, took a complete soaking, gripped on slippery rocks and steep muddy trails, washed off nicely and polished up well after innumerable deep scuffs. Great, great boots. Highly recommended. Think they actually performed better than many of the trail shoes/light hikers most people were wearing (actually saw a guy on the mountain flapping along with total sole glue failure on a pair of Salomons). And maybe they looked a little better too. Hiram would've been proud. Thanks Alden, Obenauf and Leather Soul. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CrackedCrab

CrackedCrab Senior member

^ great boots and setting. My locale is less exotic (the office) for my Leather Soul 2-tone saddles: [​IMG]

3. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

^Absolutely fantastic!!!!

4. tomashi

tomashi Well-Known Member

would anyone know if the jcrew 20% off still works with alden as of right now?

5. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

So your defect was different than what my pictures show?

I just dropped off my beefrolls at the post office - they are in transit to Blackbird and then Alden.

Yeah. I just went to the shop where I ordered my shoes from and was told that it's normal for that to happen. Because the leather is still stiff and the way they are sewn together, the bending will cause the top part to separate. I just hope the stitch doesn't bust.

6. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior member

StyleForum: home to the best dressed hikers on the internet.

7. tellure

tellure Senior member

Nice dport86, thanks for posting. Wouldn't have thought of Aldens for hiking.

8. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Senior member

I have a question concerning cleaning and maintainence for my Ultimate Kudu Indys. Since the leather is heavily oiled, is it still okay to use the MAC method to clean them? What should I use as far as paste or wax goes?

9. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Honestly, I wouldn't do anything to the Kudu UIs. If anything, some oil or cream once in a while but I don't think it's needed for that leather.

10. theuglylover

theuglylover Well-Known Member

Does anyone know any other online retailers that sell the Suede Summer Oxford in Chocolate? I can only seem to find it on Blackbird, but they only have 8.5D in stock.

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

[​IMG]

Nice pics. What are the socks?

12. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Does anyone know any other online retailers that sell the Suede Summer Oxford in Chocolate? I can only seem to find it on Blackbird, but they only have 8.5D in stock.

Try the Alden SF store.

13. dport86

dport86 Senior member

Nice pics. What are the socks?

Older RL made in England wool. Pantherella-made?

14. mcbuck

mcbuck New Member

I have a question concerning cleaning and maintainence for my Ultimate Kudu Indys. Since the leather is heavily oiled, is it still okay to use the MAC method to clean them? What should I use as far as paste or wax goes?
    I think I got the recomendation from Alden of Carmel; occasional application of Neat's foot oil.

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 wt boot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.