• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunw

Reaction score
You guys make me laugh with this talk of "cold weather." The last two weeks, its been -40F everyday here (with the next two week forecast looking the same), with Dec.30th reaching -60F, colder than the surface of Mars for that day.
Really......how do your aldens hold up to weather like that??

tampatravel

Reaction score
You guys make me laugh with this talk of "cold weather." The last two weeks, its been -40F everyday here (with the next two week forecast looking the same), with Dec.30th reaching -60F, colder than the surface of Mars for that day.

That's totally true Nakedsnake but it really sucks when you've got friends down here visiting and it's 45F :) and they want to go to the beach!

Plus, what are you doing up there? Last time I was a Costco - I checked the parking lot - there's apparently no one left in Canada under 65 (New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, New Foundland & Laborado, Nova Scotia, and Manitoba, license plates all in one parking lot)

Were are you at by the way?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goose - you live in my old zip code! I was in 21224 for a couple years back in 2010-2012. But I feel tampa's "pain" now. I went for a run at 5:30am this morning and it felt freezing...well freezing for Florida I guess.

aldenwear

Reaction score
^^^ +100 Good question; I think I can guess based on different pieces of information gathered on this thread, but I would like to hear first hand experience. Can I assume my hampton size would be the same as my grant size? Has anyone found their own case to be different? Thanks for asking this question...
i find both true to size. Grant is on the larger side of true to size and, it seems, a minority size down 1/2 size with Grant. Grant seems to me to be a straighter last compared to Hampton, meaning that Hampton feels more pinched in the waist and has more uplift in the arch than Grant.

aldenwear

Reaction score
It's a cold day here in Tampa...I had to reach for the OTC wool socks this morning!

45 degrees!?!?!

Below zero where I am. This post is not cool. (Pun intended).

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Really......how do your aldens hold up to weather like that??

That's totally true Nakedsnake but it really sucks when you've got friends down here visiting and it's 45F :) and they want to go to the beach!

Plus, what are you doing up there? Last time I was a Costco - I checked the parking lot - there's apparently no one left in Canada under 65 (New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, New Foundland & Laborado, Nova Scotia, and Manitoba, license plates all in one parking lot)

Were are you at by the way?

I can see how thats far too cold for swimming, or any beach activity haha.

LoL. Currently 58 with a high of 71 in San Diego today.

I too am kind of curious, how the Alden's hold up in -60 degree weather.

-Mike

And I never wear any shell when its that cold. I wear something that is like a Sorrel, or lined bean boot. Shells, in my experience, just aren't warm enough, even with a wool sock. Coolest I wear any shell is -13F, below that, I bring out the big boots. I have worn my shell in sub zero weather however, in knee deep snow, on several occasions, and they have done well. They look a little rough after, but a quick brush and buff, and they are back to new. The boots in question have a topy sole applied, for those interested.

And for those curious, I am from Manitoba (your comment about everyone being over 65 in Canada is actually fairly accurate haha). I spent Dec.30th, in the most Canadian way possible. Drove out to a friends cabin, and built a quinzy, so we would have somewhere warm to drink beer and smoke while we bbq'd. It was actually so cold at one point, that my friends drink of a straight rye, froze into an ice block while he was drinking it. I've never seen alcohol do that before.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

kennyx

Reaction score

I just got the exact same pair of boots in the mail last week and have the EXACT same problem.  I'm going to PM you so we can discuss, but I contacted Unionmade today at [email protected], spoke to a guy named Carl, and sent him my photos.  They are "looking into it," but I'm asking that they send me a replacement pair, since this is highly unusual for new Indy boots, and I own several pairs of Indys with no such issues.

So has this been resolved? I was about to order these from Unionmade but thought I would search SF first (good thing I did).

It's hard to find a US retailer that has the natural CXL Indy boots that ship to Canada that uses USPS (UPS and Fedex are not an option), so if anyone has any other recommendations, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads