• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ultimately Alden will lose sales if QC issues impact the brand, and they will adjust accordingly or go out of business... As long as there is a suitable alternative. The high end shoe business is apparently at global highs right now, and Alden and its retailers have been beneficiaries. There should be an opening for another brand to come in with quality workmanship, classic styling, whatever. Such a brand would get praise here, in magazines, etc. Allen Edmonds, Carmina, etc are ramping up but they aren't making shoes with the styling and breadth of options of Alden yet.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I've got a question for all the Alden faithful. Has anybody actually been to the Alden factory and seen our treasured shoes and boots being made? Outside of a YouTube video I don't know of a person who's witnessed the donuts getting baked. Maybe we could organize a group pilgrimage and tour. I know in business when one starts sending a significant amount of money to one supplier it's prudent to find out how the product is being produced. Just an idea.

mtc2000

Reaction score
Some eye candies.

Scotchgain #8 and Epaulet Ravello Brixton

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
god those are awesome. what does alt wien mean, anyway? old vienna or thereabouts?
Yes, Old Vienna. It is a variation on a medallion cap and is a popular Vass style. Epaulet made these as they are big fans of the style and I think it is my favorite makeup for 2013

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would put those as being produced between the mid 1970's and mid 1980's. I have a similar pair. I consider them more dressy
than my 975's - they have a more streamlined look and are not as wide. Truly a great shoe.

Wow, that is amazing. I'm going to get rubber topys added and beat the heck out of them. Thanks for the info.

Did you deal directly with Steven, the owner himself?
My experience has been that he is very accommodating.

His staff screwed up a few of my orders over the years, and Steven got things straightened out swiftly every single time.

I won't say who I've been dealing with and I have deliberately avoided calling him out by name. What I will say is that I just got an email from Steven and he was v-e-r-y gracious and accommodating. There was a tone in his response that had been missing in any of the emails I had received up to this point. He agreed that both of my suggestions were reasonable and he gave me the option of a discount or returning for a full refund. I choose the former as I really like the shoe and hope that over time I will be able to lesson it's noticeability.

Story has a happy ending and I am now a satisfied customer. Thanks to all for the advice.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

king tassel
argyles otc

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Those Brixtons are amazing. I'll settle for #8 for now.

dadave

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the Alden Chukkas chromexcel for some time. Anyone know a place i might be able find these a tad cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics