• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ I think quality typically goes down when things start "flying off the shelves" so to speak.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Alt Wein means AWESOME!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Old awesome?? haha

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Bakes, how does greater collective bargaining power impact Alden's quality control? I'm not sure if I remember what the original issue was that brought us to union v. non-unionization. I think it was QC. IMO, I don't think unionized workers necessarily make for poorer QC.
This was never meant to be a union vs non-union discussion, as I tried to make clear when I first mentioned that Alden's factory is unionized.

I am not pro nor anti-union. As thebeebs points out, unionization certainly has merits. Ensuring safe conditions for workers, for example. However, I think it is naive to think that unionization does not also have its share of unintended consequences (like just about everything else). For example, in a certain city, the union for the public transportation bus drivers organized a strike to get increased pay. (Their pay was already quite generous.) As a consequence, they got higher pay, but the routes were cut in order to compensate, and maintain the budget. (The money has to come from somewhere, it cannot just 'appear') So this was good for the bus drivers, because they ended up with about the same annual pay by working less hours, but it was not good for those who use the buses to commute, because many routes were eliminated. It caused increased traffic in the area, since more people had to drive their own car, which causes more pollution, and the chain of events continues.

(AGAIN, I AM NOT ANTI-UNION) *And I'm not saying that unions are responsible for global warming either, because I know some idiot out there will probably make that interpretation.

Not everyone has taken the same course of study and has the same experience that I do, so I don't expect everyone to share my perspective. That is fine. I am not trying to persuade anyone to adopt my point of view.

So in short, RTP, What I was alluding to is that since the employees are unionized, they [generally speaking] can get away with more. I'm not suggesting that it is the entire explanation for Alden's QC, but I am suggesting that it is a variable, at least to some degree.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ While I'm personally skeptical of the point Bakes makes (or think it may be a small factor in a mix of factors totally impossible to quantify), it is not an unreasonable hypothesis and he's been really clear about trying to stay away from a political debate (cardinal sin here), which I respect and applaud. I think it's safe to let dogs lie here, not that anybody asked me to weigh in...

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shawnc, your view of flaws and defects is pretty much my own and how I approach deciding whether to keep a pair of boots/shoes or not. I too have blotches (of dye I guess) on my #8 boots but they're pretty much only noticeable in bright sunlight so I just get on with wearing and enjoying them.

I have purchased from Leffot and have not had any problems. I sincerely hope that they are able to do right for you as they do carry some pretty nice makeups and selfishly, I would hesitate to give them my business in the future if they begin to tarnish their reputation with situations like this.
The splotch on those tankers definitely look egregious. I would request the same options you have mentioned earlier. That is perfectly reasonable. Leffot is usually exceptional with their customer care and service. It's a shame they will not accommodate you.

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
Quote: It would probably help if Kathy submitted the order with a number she was comfortable with in various sizes, and just did a lottery for each size. At least the boot would get made and some people from the sign-up would walk away happy.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I preordered the flat welt black longwings from Leffot. They were supposed to arrive in the fall. Alden simply "forgot" to make E widths, so my shoes never came with the rest of the D widths. Did I get pissed off and start exploring other cordovan options? No, I switched my deposit to another preorder at Leffot and looked for black cordovan shoes at other retailers because at the end of the day, when Alden delivers, the product is great. Until enough customers like me leave the brand, issues will persist

Hmmmm, switched your preorder deposit? They wouldn't let me do that. Oh well, that's another story. Somewhat related, I picked up a pair of shell Florsheim LWB's off of EBAY ($125) that were delivered today. My goal was to get a pair of beaters that I could kick around in the Pittsburgh snow. A couple of points that make this relevant. First, I continue to be amazed by the uniqueness of a horses ass. These shoes have got to be at least 10 years old (and likely closer to 20). I was already trying to decide which product I was going to use to clean them up and hope for the best. After wiping them down, I could hear Mac's voice and I just started brushing. After less than 5 minutes, these shoes looked great. There was no need for product. Ultimately I did add a little Reno cordovan cream as I wanted to moisturize the shoe only because I didn't think they had been properly cared for over the last 5-10 years. Boy did this make them glow.

The other issue of relevance is that given the current discussion and issue I have with my Leffot tankers, I have examined these shoes with a fine-tooth comb and I cannot find one single flaw. Not a loose stitch, not a speck of uneven dye, nothing. These good ole made in the USA Florsheims's appear to be perfect in every way. And man, these things are tanks. Could just be luck of the draw but making excuses for what seems to be an increasing amount of quality issues is IMO, giving Alden a free pass. Again, just my opinion.

Here are a few pic's of the Florsheims's. I added spolier alerts due to the shoes not being Alden's.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I preordered the flat welt black longwings from Leffot. They were supposed to arrive in the fall. Alden simply "forgot" to make E widths, so my shoes never came with the rest of the D widths. Did I get pissed off and start exploring other cordovan options? No, I switched my deposit to another preorder at Leffot and looked for black cordovan shoes at other retailers because at the end of the day, when Alden delivers, the product is great. Until enough customers like me leave the brand, issues will persist

Hmmmm, switched your preorder deposit? They wouldn't let me do that. Oh well, that's another story. Somewhat related, I picked up a pair of shell Florsheim LWB's off of EBAY ($125) that were delivered today. My goal was to get a pair of beaters that I could kick around in the Pittsburgh snow. A couple of points that make this relevant. First, I continue to be amazed by the uniqueness of a horses ass. These shoes have got to be at least 10 years old (and likely closer to 20). I was already trying to decide which product I was going to use to clean them up and hope for the best. After wiping them down, I could hear Mac's voice and I just started brushing. After less than 5 minutes, these shoes looked great. There was no need for product. Ultimately I did add a little Reno cordovan cream as I wanted to moisturize the shoe only because I didn't think they had been properly cared for over the last 5-10 years. Boy did this make them glow.

The other issue of relevance is that given the current discussion and issue I have with my Leffot tankers, I have examined these shoes with a fine-tooth comb and I cannot find one single flaw. Not a loose stitch, not a speck of uneven dye, nothing. These good ole made in the USA Florsheims's appear to be perfect in every way. And man, these things are tanks. Could just be luck of the draw but making excuses for what seems to be an increasing amount of quality issues is IMO, giving Alden a free pass. Again, just my opinion.

Here are a few pic's of the Florsheims's. I added spolier alerts due to the shoes not being Alden's.

I would put those as being produced between the mid 1970's and mid 1980's. I have a similar pair. I consider them more dressy
than my 975's - they have a more streamlined look and are not as wide. Truly a great shoe.

mtc2000

Reaction score
Did you deal directly with Steven, the owner himself?
My experience has been that he is very accommodating.

His staff screwed up a few of my orders over the years, and Steven got things straightened out swiftly every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads