• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerpac

Reaction score
A horse hair brush and an occasional leather cleaner and/or conditioner. Read through this thread and their is TONS of info
Exactly this. I like bick 4 every few months if you're not looking to darken the leather but everybody had thirty favourite. Don't over do the conditioner though. House hair brush does wonders on its own

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Finally decided that it was time for my first Alden. So I went to the Alden shop in SF and got me my first Alden Indy CXL's.

0ajTcGM.jpg

Given that this is my first pair of Aldens, I was wondering about these two spots on the boot, are they normal?

iVUqYTQ.jpg

Sb7fmxs.jpg

Also, I have some AE cedar shoe trees in there right now will it be okay to use? And how do you care for Alden Indy's?

First wanted to say congrats! Those are a beautiful pair of boots (and great photos). Those spots are minor. CXL is a unique leather and develops a beautiful patina with time. As others have said, just brush and use leather lotion from time to time. Enjoy them much!

If the shoe trees fit into your boots without feeling too big or small, then feel free to use the AE trees.

Merry Christmas,
Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Gents, Merry Christmas to my fellow forum members! Thought I'd share a few pics of my shell "family" with the other guys out there who appreciate their shell "families" just as much. Please excuse the sock fuzz on the carpet.
Shell "family" Black wing tip from TSM Color 8 Brixton wing tip from Epaulet Color 8 cap toe from Alden DC Color 8 comparison Cigar Indy from TSM (starting to look closer to Color 8 with age) Ravello chukka
Hope everybody had a great 2013. Here's to an even better 2014 filled with your favorite Aldens. Dave
Dave, You have a beautiful collection of Alden boots and take terrific care of them. Enjoy them in 2014 and many years to come. Merry Christmas, Mike

ScottMC

Reaction score
PSA - most Alden for Brooks Brothers are on sale right now on the BB website for the semi-annual sale, plus an extra 15% off right now. Just picked up a pair of Aberdeen tassel loafers for $317 before tax/shipping. Looks like everything except cordovan. Merry Christmas.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that the dye stains on color 8 cordovan are pretty common. Is it possible to find a perfect pair?
Perfect? No

I find that almost every pair has an issue although in general minor, but some of the more recent posts with irregular dye or marks are far outside what I have personally experienced with a fair number of color 8. I will add the more recent ones I've received have been the best in terms of finish.

mtc2000

Reaction score

Seems to be a fact of life with Alden lately. I don't think you should have to settle for poor QC on an $800 shoe but many will and Alden seems to know it. I am including myself in this scenario. I just received my preorder Tankers from Leffot. It was easily the most frustrating retail experience I've had, Alden or otherwise. To top it off, when I finally received the shoes, I had the same issue as you.....

Hard to believe that these were ever inspected by Leffot before sending them to me. But my options are to return them for store credit or keep them. At $800, those are hard options to swallow. Even more so considering that it's highly unlikely that I will ever purchase again from Leffott. But as others have said, we are all beggars and these boots won't come around for quite some time.

Factory/retailer QC issues aside, apparently, some craftsmen/women do not take pride of their own work in the first place. I wonder if they know there are customers who are "passionate" about their Alden shoes.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It's just a job to them they don't give a ****.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst part IMO, is the excitement that builds from lengthy lead times only to be let down. One quickly comes to the realization that the choice is clear accept less than ideal or begin the waiting process again. However when Alden gets it right, the feeling of joy when one lays their eyes on new flawless Cigar Indys.....priceless.

PeterL

Reaction score
Perfect? No

I find that almost every pair has an issue although in general minor, but some of the more recent posts with irregular dye or marks are far outside what I have personally experienced with a fair number of color 8. I will add the more recent ones I've received have been the best in terms of finish.
I found few more stains along with some minor ones. I have decided to return them and wait for other cordovan colors.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peter L,

I would send those back if you are not happy with them, but I would also suggest that you should continue to look for color 8 as

1) when done right, it is the best cordovan color
2) color 8 and black are the most available, so a higher percentage of makeups will be one of those colors going forward

I've observed or bought recent color 8 from Alden NYC, Leffot and Alden of Carmel and have seen no issues with stains

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found few more stains along with some minor ones. I have decided to return them and wait for other cordovan colors.

I have a pair of 975s that had a little blotch on the side but it wasn't enough to bother me, the issue I would have the most trouble with is something right on the vamp in plain view for every step I took.

Ultimately if you aren't satisfied the right decision is to send them back. As someone said earlier for a stock model, it should be relatively easy to have them replaced for a pair that will hopefully have less inconsistency in the finish.

I think for the most part they do a good job at the factory although their has been a lot of discussion on quality control lately, I don't have enough long term personal experience to comment on a true change over time.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However when Alden gets it right, the feeling of joy when one lays their eyes on new flawless Cigar Indys.....priceless.

Peter L,

I would send those back if you are not happy with them, but I would also suggest that you should continue to look for color 8 as

1) when done best, it is the best cordovan color
2) color 8 and black are the most available, so a higher percentage of makeups will be one of those colors going forward

I've observed or bought recent color 8 from Alden NYC, Leffot and Alden of Carmel and have seen no issues with stains
Well said...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads