***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Is there a huge difference to buying from theshoemarket as opposed to somewhere else?
    The biggest pro from theshoemart is that (if you're buying out of state from their location), there is no tax and shipping is always free. Their return policy is also great, 365 days from the initial date in which you receive the shoes.
    Does anyone have any experience with the J. Crew Alden longwing waxed bluchers. I really like this style but I can only find it at this price-point ($465) offered through J. Crew. If I were to go into an Alden retailer may they have this style at this price? I'll be in San Francisco on Nov. 1 and might have to stop into the Alden store there. Or is it worth it to just get on the waitlist for J. Crew and wait a month for the shipment.
    I waited for the tobacco colorway, I think I waited around 2 months for it. I recently put in another order for the dark brown colorway. There was no waiting for that one, I'm expecting them to get in in a couple of days.

Theshoemart has several Longwings, but the sizings are quite limited and they're a bit more than the J. Crew's.

2. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

Why don't you just get on the J. Crew waitlist now and cancel if you see something better in SF next week?

Haha that is a good idea.

3. Walking Man

Walking Man Active Member

How long does it usually take to break in the Indys? I wore mine for the fifth or sixth time yesterday and after a few hours of walking/standing around my feet were hurting. I'm asking this because I'm considering wearing an insole or should I just break them in more?

4. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

I've never had any issues with hurting feet on any of 3 pairs of Indys I own. I think you are having fit problems.
    How long does it usually take to break in the Indys? I wore mine for the fifth or sixth time yesterday and after a few hours of walking/standing around my feet were hurting. I'm asking this because I'm considering wearing an insole or should I just break them in more?

5. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

The biggest pro from theshoemart is that (if you're buying out of state from their location), there is no tax and shipping is always free. Their return policy is also great, 365 days from the initial date in which you receive the shoes.

I waited for the tobacco colorway, I think I waited around 2 months for it. I recently put in another order for the dark brown colorway. There was no waiting for that one, I'm expecting them to get in in a couple of days.

Theshoemart has several Longwings, but the sizings are quite limited and they're a bit more than the J. Crew's.

Yeah the showmart has longwings but the are around$150 more, albeit a bit nicer but I'm already stretching myself to get these. Did you get the tobacco colorway, and do you like it? On the J. Crew website the color looks different in two different pictures, so I'm having trouble pinning down the color.

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yeah the showmart has longwings but the are around$150 more, albeit a bit nicer but I'm already stretching myself to get these. Did you get the tobacco colorway, and do you like it? On the J. Crew website the color looks different in two different pictures, so I'm having trouble pinning down the color.

The shoemart longwings are shell whereas the J Crew ones are calf.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Alden makes a standard stock calf longwing.
    However there are plenty of calf versions out there in addition to the J Crew ones.
    Winn Perry has some on their site.

There have been pictures of the J Crew ones posted. Search around.
    I think they were in a different thread than this.

7. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

The shoemart longwings are shell whereas the J Crew ones are calf.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Alden makes a standard stock calf longwing.
    However there are plenty of calf versions out there in addition to the J Crew ones.
    Winn Perry has some on their site.

There have been pictures of the J Crew ones posted. Search around.
    I think they were in a different thread than this.

Well unfortunately their smallest size in the Alden double Waterlock Longwing in walnut grain are available in a 9.5. Are there any other sites besides shoemart, blackbird, and leathersoul that carry these longwings at this pricepoint?

8. sockpuppets

sockpuppets Senior member

jcrew has a 20% off online purchases coupon that can be used on the aldens. [​IMG]

9. sockpuppets

sockpuppets Senior member

Do you have wide feet? Did you size down? Which indys, are they shell?

10. iotan

iotan Senior member

Well unfortunately their smallest size in the Alden double Waterlock Longwing in walnut grain are available in a 9.5. Are there any other sites besides shoemart, blackbird, and leathersoul that carry these longwings at this pricepoint?

You could get on shoemarts seconds list or call them and see if they have the longwings you are interested in on it. I have seen what appear to me to be the jcrew longwings on the seconds list a few times.

11. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

jcrew has a 20% off online purchases coupon that can be used on the aldens. [​IMG]

Yeah i'm kinda leaning thowards this. It seems easier through J. Crew. I'm just a little weary on the color. Is it just me or do they seem a bit orange?

12. Walking Man

Walking Man Active Member

Do you have wide feet? Did you size down? Which indys, are they shell?

They're the Ultimate Indys and I did size down. The last time I was measured I was a size 10D so I bought them in a 9.5D. I'm thinking it's just due to the large toe box and my boney foot moving around when I walk. I'll try them with insole inserts and see how my feet feel afterwards.

13. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

If you check their website returns are for 90 days. 365 days no longer.

14. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

Would you mind reposting the coupon code? Thanks!

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thats a great color, well done sir.

thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.