• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr chorizo

Reaction score

lol, I know what you mean Tifosi. I picked up the antiqued Leffot version after getting the classic 975. I was really chasing the antiqued edge so when I got it, I sold the 975. I kind of regret it now!!

I did the exact same thing--I'm not sure I regret it, but I haven't been wearing my antique edge longwings much. need to break em out.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold my Leffot Color 8 LWB and plan on picking up another color 8 blucher (I was thinking the 975 but I am also considering the captoe or NST blucher). My antique color 8s looked great sitting in store or on my shoe rack, but I didn't really reach for them that much. For example during the time I had both, I probably wore my Alden 990 10 times and the Leffot LWB one or two times. When it came to more casual outfits, I reached for my Leffot tankers or cigar chukkas or some other shoe more. This may be a function of the season, but during the summer and fall I wore my Leffot saddles more than the color 8 LWB.

To me the 975 moves much more easily between business casual and casual than the Leffot LWB, which look very casual. If Aldens are primarily a casual endeavor for you, then the Leffot longwings may be the ultimate shoe. But for my purposes, other shoes fit a bit better. YMMV.

Last edited:

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI...Anyone wanting to try the 9.5D barrie black shell six eye chukka (mouthful) from the seconds list, it will be back in stock next week. A really nice fitting, sleek barrie shoe if you can deal with the somewhat warped top.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Speaking of longwings, thinking of getting a pair in #8. (Ordering your own xmas gifts can be fun!)

So the question becomes - leather sole or commando sole? I really like the commando sole on the AF53s, but is this shoe too formal for commandos? I have several leather soles and am fine with them.

But, I live in the northeast so the extra traction has been helpful so far this fall/winter.

Thoughts?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks. Link says they're sold out. I've never ordered from Leather Soul but I assume that unless they do another run for preorders, that's the end of that.

Yea...Instant gratification is not a term we typically use with Alden. You can contact LeatherSoul to see if they are planning on another run. You can reserve your size for $100 if they are doing a run.

electronicsjunkie

Reaction score

Yea...Instant gratification is not a term we typically use with Alden. You can contact LeatherSoul to see if they are planning on another run. You can reserve your size for $100 if they are doing a run.

I hear you. I've gotten lucky (and spoiled) with a couple pairs off the shelf from J Crew, back when they didn't exclude Aldens from the storewide sales.

RecoveringChef

Reaction score

Speaking of longwings, thinking of getting a pair in #8.  (Ordering your own xmas gifts can be fun!) 

So the question becomes - leather sole or commando sole?  I really like the commando sole on the AF53s, but is this shoe too formal for commandos?  I have several leather soles and am fine with them.

But, I live in the northeast so the extra traction has been helpful so far this fall/winter.

Thoughts?

In person, the LWB looks pretty casual. I think they'd look more appropriate with jeans than with a suit.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

In person, the LWB looks pretty casual. I think they'd look more appropriate with jeans than with a suit.

I plan on wearing my LWB with a suit tonight. I'm going the more casual route with no tie. I think it works and I'm confident in it. I asked my wife and she looked at me a little hesitantly until I said "I'm going just like this with no tie". Then she got it and agreed. Plus my LWB are Whiskey!!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The longwings I have observed with commando soles are pretty casual (mainly because longwings in general are bulky shoes, and the commando adds to the bulk). The 975, 9751, and dark soled ravello and cigar longwings can be worn with suits. I guess whiskey can go with certain colors. I've been surprised as how well NSTs and even the 990/9901 go with suits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads