• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Epaulet MIlkshake boot by Alden. I have a pair, which I really like, though they are a pain ********** to keep clean. What else do you want to know?
If you wish to keep your suede shoes clean, use Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray. The spray will waterproof suede shoes very well, keeping them free of all matter of stains and marks. The Hanger Project stocks this product, and it may be available elsewhere. I use it on all matter or suede, including white bucks, and it has not darkened any color suede in my experience. Cheers.

epc2

Reaction score
Whiskey Wednesday.

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve come to realize over the years buying Aldens that there are some shoes that you lust after, sometimes for years, and you finally get them and a few months down the road, you’re like Ehhh.

And then there are shoes you buy on a whim, thinking maybe you may like them, maybe not. And then a few months down the road, those shoes are one of your faves you’d never consider parting with.

These Leffot Naval boots fit into the second category for me

shaunw

Reaction score
I’ve come to realize over the years buying Aldens that there are some shoes that you lust after, sometimes for years, and you finally get them and a few months down the road, you’re like Ehhh.

And then there are shoes you buy on a whim, thinking maybe you may like them, maybe not. And then a few months down the road, those shoes are one of your faves you’d never consider parting with.

You nailed it! I couldn't agree more.

jl70115

Reaction score
I just received a pair of snuff suede LWB from JCrew, I got lucky checking randomly and they must have gotten my size in on a return. They are reported to have single oiled/waterlock sole. I've had my eye on a number of LWB for a few months now and most seem to be on double soles, whether standard or waterlock. For the life of me I cannot tell the difference between the single and double sole in regards to an Alden LWB. In a comparison between a Bal or the like on a single leather sole and any double sole the difference is very clear.

Any input on the matter, how would one discern the difference and if there is one what is it? I'm confounded.

Here's my score.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just received a pair of snuff suede LWB from JCrew, I got lucky checking randomly and they must have gotten my size in on a return. They are reported to have single oiled/waterlock sole. I've had my eye on a number of LWB for a few months now and most seem to be on double soles, whether standard or waterlock. For the life of me I cannot tell the difference between the single and double sole in regards to an Alden LWB. In a comparison between a Bal or the like on a single leather sole and any double sole the difference is very clear. 

Any input on the matter, how would one discern the difference and if there is one what is it? I'm confounded. 

Here's my score.

[ATTACHMENT=8010]lwb.JPG (2,836k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT] 

Usually apparent to the naked eye, but if that doesn't work ..... A ruler measurement.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiskey Wed LHS

GooseG

Reaction score

Here's my score.

Tough to be absolutely certain from that angle, but I'm pretty sure that's a double.

I don't know of any Alden LWBs that are on single leather soles.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's my score.

Tough to be absolutely certain from that angle, but I'm pretty sure that's a double.

I don't know of any Alden LWBs that are on single leather soles.

A little zooming photo shop magic reveals that it is a double-sole. "Double-sole" is a bit of a misnomer in that one of them is distinctively thinner on most models. In other words, they don't generally take two standard soles and literally stack them. Instead, the outermost one is a standard thickness, and the upper one is about half that. See this photo of your shoes zoomed in with the layers marked by red lines (click to enlarge):

The uppermost layer is the welt, followed by the first sole, followed by the second sole.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are right. I really have grown to love mine.
In fact, that is exactly also what happened with my NSTs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads