1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamete

yamete Senior member

^resize...cant even find quicklyreply...

2. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

^resize...cant even find quicklyreply...

yeah, as soon as I posted it I began resizing the pic...was a wee bit BIG

3. John_

John_ Active Member

Actually they increase the price every February. Been like that ever since I started with them in 2004.
    Not defending the increase, but it is nice to buy something of increasing lasting value. While m computers keep dropping, my Cordovan chukkas from 2000 ($380) kee increasing! If it keeps Alden in business I am for it.

4. phantomx48

phantomx48 Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello wt boots

Wow, those look almost like Whiskey! They are definitely a lot lighter than my Ravello boots. Wonder if putting them in the sun will get them looking like that quicker? Anyone want to chime in?

5. jet

jet Senior member

^really like those anybody have them in stock? look like barrie

6. justinaugust

justinaugust Member

I think they need to re-evaluate their stance. Their core customer is not really the rich ass dudes who can afford anything.
    If you're spending more than $100 on a pair of shoes then you're far closer to "rich dude..." than you think. They are well worth it but they are definitely a luxury good. Don't compare them to a Corolla, compare them to the Toyota Avalon. It's easy to lose perspective on a forum such as this but to 90% of people if you're spending $400+ (like I just did!) you've priced yourself into "rich dude...." territory. Especially if you do it more than once!

7. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

8. shasta

shasta Senior member

What would the forum's reccomendation be on pairing a belt with snuff suede. Do most people go with a matching snuff suede belt?

Predominently talking about when wearing snuff suede in a more formal setting (i.e. with a business suit).

9. Tcameron

Tcameron Senior member

I, like anyone else with eyes, love these and the've been sold out for awhile. People are practically crying on the blog for more. Any ideas where I can get something similar? Love the color on these. [​IMG]

10. sellran

sellran Senior member

I have a pair in 10D I've only worn a few times (the weather has been terrible). I'd be willing to sell to purchase another pair of shoes (been lusting after a pair of ravello boots recently). They are beautiful!

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

a 5% price increase really isn't a huge deal. alden employees alone might get paid get 3-4% more every year.

I'm sure Horween has to pay their guys more, increasing materials cost, etc

given the current situation where retailers can pre-charge 100% of a shoes cost for delivery in 8 months, they could probably increase a lot more than 5% and be fine. at least for certain models

of course, who knows where demand will be for alden in 2 or 3 years

12. sazon

sazon Senior member

whats the sole on that sazon?

Leather sole. Dovetailed heels.

13. tylerjbritt

tylerjbritt Active Member

9.5D Plaza = ___ Aberdeen? Foot is rather narrow throughout. Thanks.

14. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

9.5D Plaza = ___ Aberdeen? Foot is rather narrow throughout. Thanks.

I would say 9.5D for Aberdeen as well.

15. bond14

bond14 Active Member

Question for the forum: If I am an 8.5 E in the Tru Balance, do you think I would be an 8.5 E in the Barrie last?

Any help is appreciated......

16. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I, like anyone else with eyes, love these and the've been sold out for awhile. People are practically crying on the blog for more. Any ideas where I can get something similar? Love the color on these.

[​IMG]

I know nothing about them (and I'm not sure they are "something similar") but I just saw these:

http://www.hipleeds.com/loake+bedale...boot-9672.html

17. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Question for the forum: If I am an 8.5 E in the Tru Balance, do you think I would be an 8.5 E in the Barrie last?

Any help is appreciated......

That's tough. I have found TruBalance to be a wider last than the Barrie. While the Barrie last offer more room in length, IMO.

That being said, 8.5E on the Barrie last should work for you. 8.5EE may be a bit too wide.

18. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Wow, those look almost like Whiskey! They are definitely a lot lighter than my Ravello boots. Wonder if putting them in the sun will get them looking like that quicker? Anyone want to chime in?

Leaving shoes out in the sun I've heard is not a great idea. To get it looking naturally like that, or whatever your desired result is, you just have to wear them, I think. Leaving them out in the sun won't give a realistic impression of age because they haven't been on your feet as much. Also, I've heard that it can dry out leather if done too long. Not sure about that from personal experience though.

^really like those anybody have them in stock? look like barrie

I'd call LS or Leffot. With both of them, you never quite know what they have in stock. Epaulet has that model up for preorder (theirs has all eyelets, no hooks), but delivery is not until August.

19. meadowstyle

meadowstyle Active Member

Yeah pretty much. It is justified though-inflation, increased cost of production-wage increases (employees are in a union), increased cost of materials-especially leather, etc.

Back in 2000 when I was selling Alden at a part time job, shell cordovan was $375.

So those $475 Indys are $525 in March 2012.

And those shell boots are $690 in March 2012.

I guess it's time to stock up.......

20. Tcameron

Tcameron Senior member

sellran - Sorry mate - I'm an 11D - But I may look at those ravello's more seriously.

HorseHide - Not really into those, just my personal taste, but thank you for the suggestion.

I have a pair in 10D I've only worn a few times (the weather has been terrible). I'd be willing to sell to purchase another pair of shoes (been lusting after a pair of ravello boots recently). They are beautiful!

I know nothing about them (and I'm not sure they are "something similar") but I just saw these:

http://www.hipleeds.com/loake+bedale...boot-9672.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.