• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That is a perfect combination of shoes, socks, and pants. :slayer:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Maiden Voyage. Ravello LWB from Alden DC.

-Mike

thams

Reaction score

thank you. which boots did you order? from where? I also hope future ravello returns to a lighter brown.

I'm on the Day Tripper pre-order from Leffot. I would be thrilled if my boots looked like yours when delivered.

BWV988

Reaction score
Some recent shell acquisitions:

Ravello NST on Aberdeen, AoC AF81 Cigar LWB on Barrie, Cigar NST on Barrie

A huge thank you to REguy for the NSTs. He was a pleasure to deal with.

In sunlight, the color of the Cigar LWB looks closer to the Ravello NST (which I'm assuming is new Ravello) than to the Cigar NST.

thams

Reaction score
These are some great ravello shots -- makes me excited for the future!

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some recent shell acquisitions:

Ravello NST on Aberdeen, AoC AF81 Cigar LWB on Barrie, Cigar NST on Barrie

A huge thank you to REguy for the NSTs. He was a pleasure to deal with.

In sunlight, the color of the Cigar LWB looks closer to the Ravello NST (which I'm assuming is new Ravello) than to the Cigar NST.
Those Ravello NSTs are a sight, very nice indeed. I love my #8's and keep thinking that I have no need for any others but then I see a picture like this...............Congrats and enjoy!

RecoveringChef

Reaction score

As far as I know, JGilbert's only black shell boot for preorder is medallion toe. I recently asked Yenni if there were any plans for a black shell NST boot and I was told no. Have you heard differently?

Slightly off topic, but did anyone else think Yenni is a stone cold fox?

RecoveringChef

Reaction score

Should someone with high instep still size down 1/2 a size on the barrie last?

I have a high instep, and sometimes I've bought wider width shoes to accomodate that. But since the Barrie is normally a blucher anyway, I would say definitely still size down. I did with the LWB. The vamp on a blucher should accomodate a high instep, I think.

RecoveringChef

Reaction score

With Barrie, the reason people tend to size down is most often due to the excessive volume of the heel (wide heel).  Haven't heard instep discussed much, so you'll probably just have to try and find out.  I have a high instep, but need to size down half a size and 1 width for barrie, because of the heel.  Instep has never really been a problem when sizing for shoes, because the laces automatically adjust when you tie the shoe, if you know what I mean.  On loafers, some people find that their high instep prohibits them from fitting in to certain models regardless of size.

Sorry for highjacking this thread, but I've been running into this exact problem lately. I was at my local Allen Edmonds yesterday trying to finally find a pair of loafers that fit my feet. I'm a true 11D and I can't fit into either the Patriot or the Randolph (the two best looking options). Does anyone know how the Alden lasts compare? Is there an Alden loafer that accomodates a higher instep?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a high instep, and sometimes I've bought wider width shoes to accomodate that. But since the Barrie is normally a blucher anyway, I would say definitely still size down. I did with the LWB. The vamp on a blucher should accomodate a high instep, I think.
Dose going wider work that well? Someone, I can't remember who, said something really clever recently. That shoe size is 3 dimensions, length x width x instep.

I would think that by going wider it would not help make the shoe taller. Sure it would mean that there is more material on the upper to wrap over your foot, but I would think that you would pay for that with the shoes being too wide, or at least wider than ideal.

RecoveringChef

Reaction score

Dose going wider work that well?  Someone, I can't remember who, said something really clever recently.  That shoe size is 3 dimensions, length x width x instep.

I would think that by going wider it would not help make the shoe taller.  Sure it would mean that there is more material on the upper to wrap over your foot, but I would think that you would pay for that with the shoes being too wide, or at least wider than ideal.

You are correct, it doesn't make it taller, but creates more material to wrap around the foot. Does it work? Yes and no. The wide loafers I have fit at the toe box and instep, but they flex like crazy at the sides when I walk. Most people wouldn't notice. But they're definitely ill-fitting. I would advise against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads