• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Yep. I would suggest your Barrie size.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Looking to find a pair of these captoe boots. I believe they're color #8 on what looks to be a Grant last. What's the best way to find them to order? Also- How might I go about sizing them in Orlando fl

and this is what they look like with a crack dealer at the door of the bar:

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking to find a pair of these captoe boots. I believe they're color #8 on what looks to be a Grant last. What's the best way to find them to order? Also- How might I go about sizing them in Orlando fl

Yes, those appear to be the captoe #8s on the Grant last. Usually the general sizing advice here helps, but as I personally own the Grant boot in cigar, I will tell you that of all of the lasts, nothing is more personal than the Grant. Most folks will tell you to order a half size up from your Barrie, but after trying on every size and width iteration at Alden DC, I went with a full size up from my Barrie size.

As for where to find them, I saw them at The Shoe Mart less than two weeks ago.
I went up a half size from my Barrie. Agree it is a very personal fit.

Alden of DC sells the commando sole version.
With commando sole.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went up a half size from my Barrie. Agree it is a very personal fit.
With commando sole.
and this is what they look like with a crack dealer at the door of the bar:
This style of boot is just great. I wore my black version all night last night through rain and bars. This AM they still look great and will just take a minute or so of brushing to look pristine. If I could own just one Alden boot it would be a straight tip cordovan boot.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ILSC,

Welcome to the forum. While I understand your question, I believe your concern is misplaced. I do not think a small space in the heel causes any problems. If you are so concerned about this issue, you can have the heel and rubber dovetail replaced by a local cobbler or Alden, which is a simple fix and likely unnecessary. Ultimately, after significant wear, the entire sole will need to be replaced anyway.
Cheers.
I think smoothie makes a good point here. For me it would be not that big of a deal. When you start wearing good shoes, and you want to take care of them, it becomes necessary to know of a competent cobbler.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about any potential price increases? Seems like it is usually about this time of the year.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
:-(

Hope not!

When I inquired about some boots at Alden DC, I remember them saying the current price was $730 (shell) and that they were expecting a price increase in January some time. There was no mention as to how much the increase would be

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe historically the retail on shell boots has increased in the $45 range or so.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cigar and Whiskey LWB pre-orders from Alden NYC were $730. Glad I got to lock that in before any price increases, and I'm really hoping the Cigar doesn't look too dark. If they came out looking anything at all like the PTBs Mac posted yesterday, I would be ecstatic.

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black captoe boots on Grant. Wet outside, business casual until 5, will throw on a blazer and tie for an event tonight, these boots are appropriate for all of these situations. The 4060/4065 are great models...

These are simply awesome.

magicspot

Reaction score
I got a pair of cordovan cap toe boots in #8 on barrie last and I find them too chunky.

Im looking for something else in a slimmer last. So far it seems plaza or grant are my best bets? I know plaza is sleek grant should be too?

I cant find a 10.5 in stock in #8 boots anywhere except for grant at the shoemart.

Any other suggestions?

prez

Reaction score

Hi guys prez from Greece here. Starting on the forum today with snuff suede lwb on double water lock soles from Fransboone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads