Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

With all respect, Alan, it is not reasonable to expect a company to lose money on a transaction. Maybe they could remake the shoes and throw in a can of polish, but how much would they have to cough up, not just this time, but to other disgruntled customers?

I don't think they needed to lose money to make it right. If I were him, I would have been happy to receive an offer of repair + a second pair at cost. Either that, or since they sold him a pair of defective shoes - seconds - he should have paid that discounted cost.

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Just called the DC store and they indicated that the only shell wing tips are Ravello long wings, no short wings in shell (and none with the contrasting heel).[​IMG]
    They had them Saturday, and I was there pretty late, like 3:00 and they are not open on Sunday. It may only have been a single pair but they were there. I doubt they call it a contrasting heel, but if you look at the picture of these Ravello shoes the heel looks a different shade. Not much but you can notice it. Was it Joe who answered or the girl? It may be worth a call back and trying to get the other and asking the other one. I also believe they had #8 and Black shell longwings as well. The shoe I was speaking of was on the shelf above the Ravello longwings. It looked good. I have no idea on size or stock but it was there. [​IMG] If you call do not mention a contrasting heel. You are just going to confuse them. They may not even call it that but the shade IS different.

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

If you call do not mention a contrasting heel. You are just going to confuse them. They may not even call it that but the shade IS different.

It's probably just contrasting due to the natural variations in shell color - the same way the strap on an LHS always looks different in Whiskey or Ravello shoes.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

With all respect, Alan, it is not reasonable to expect a company to lose money on a transaction. Maybe they could remake the shoes and throw in a can of polish, but how much would they have to cough up, not just this time, but to other disgruntled customers?

If they don't want to lose money don't send out defective shoes. They've already lost money on that transaction doing that.

I'm not a member of the let's-get-Alden brigade that you see so often here. When I had an issue with a pair of shoes I got my replacement pair (albeit another model), and asked for nothing extra at all. I was satisfied with what I received. However, the issue with Clay ultimately went beyond that as Alden and Alden NYC (particularly the latter) seemed to bungle things along the way.

Right now Alden is obviously enjoying a demand explosion. In that situation I guess you can afford to pay a little less attention to above and beyond customer service.

Count me as an Alden fan. I've got over a dozen pairs with a couple more planned in the coming months. I'm by no means anti-Alden.

5. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

It's probably just contrasting due to the natural variations in shell color - the same way the strap on an LHS always looks different in Whiskey or Ravello shoes.

The angle changes how the color looks too. If you look at a piece of shell in one direction it can appear lighter or darker if you rotate the piece 90 or 180 degrees.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

The angle changes how the color looks too. If you look at a piece of shell in one direction it can appear lighter or darker if you rotate the piece 90 or 180 degrees.

Thanks for mentioning that. I'm aware of that fact but I couldn't think of how to express it clearly.

7. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Those interested in reading the saga can do so here.
    Wow. That is embarrassing. To be fair, Alden was probably upset that this story unraveled publicly on an internet forum rather than by means of private correspondence. Given Alden's track record for customer service, I can see why they would not be inclined to do anything for a customer who aired out their dirty laundry for everyone to see. I had a similar boot horror story with another adored brand on this forum, only I didn't post all about it. Despite trying to deal directly with the company, I still got shit on as a customer and was sent away without so much as an apology. Needless to say, I will never give them my business again. Reading about that episode makes me feel like posting all the smutty details for everyone to see...

8. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

Wow. That is embarrassing.

To be fair, Alden was probably upset that this story unraveled publicly on an internet forum rather than by means of private correspondence. Given Alden's track record for customer service, I can see why they would not be inclined to do anything for a customer who aired out their dirty laundry for everyone to see.

I had a similar boot horror story with another adored brand on this forum, only I didn't post all about it. Despite trying to deal directly with the company, I still got shit on as a customer and was sent away without so much as an apology. Needless to say, I will never give them my business again. Reading about that episode makes me feel like posting all the smutty details for everyone to see...

Do it please. Nothing to lose anymore at your end from what I understand.

9. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Senior member

+1They were also treating some old guy in the store like crap. Young or old, I think they're just plain rude. Unfortunately, they're sometimes the only place that might have your size so you have to deal with it.
    Yeah, it's sad but true. They're one of the few stores other than Shoe Mart that almost always has a 10C in what I want. I'm just still a bit stunned. I've spent some serious coin at that shop. Well 4 pairs for me is serious coin ha
    That's crazy. Even J. Crew sells them for $30
    I know, so annoying.

10. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior member

Are the Alden trees somehow different from what you can get at woodlore/cedarville? They look the same from pics, but I don't have the Alden trees to compare.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^The Alden trees are made by Rochester. They're not superior to Woodlore. Check out STP for good buys on Woodlore trees.

12. ajv

ajv Senior member

I've got a question. Can you guys recommend a shop having Aldens in the Orlando area ?

Many thanks,

Adrian

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

They had them Saturday, and I was there pretty late, like 3:00 and they are not open on Sunday. It may only have been a single pair but they were there. I doubt they call it a contrasting heel, but if you look at the picture of these Ravello shoes the heel looks a different shade. Not much but you can notice it.

Was it Joe who answered or the girl? It may be worth a call back and trying to get the other and asking the other one. I also believe they had #8 and Black shell longwings as well. The shoe I was speaking of was on the shelf above the Ravello longwings. It looked good. I have no idea on size or stock but it was there. [​IMG]

If you call do not mention a contrasting heel. You are just going to confuse them. They may not even call it that but the shade IS different.

Any idea if the ravello longwings are from the restock? I put in an order back in March and I've been waiting to hear from them.

14. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Any idea if the ravello longwings are from the restock? I put in an order back in March and I've been waiting to hear from them.
    Sorry, I do not know. They had Ravello longwings last time I was there. That is how I got mine.

Joe was there but kinda busy with 3 customers and me browsing so I did not ask a lot of questions.

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello ptb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.