• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
suede still scares me on shoes... maybe its the final frontier for me lol

Suede is robust and versatile. Learn to love it, and it will treat you very well.

I was able to track down this picture from the Agatine Eyelet...

Though it's a matter of taste; I like the Indy boots after they've been beaten up a bit. Adds character. More importantly, the boots are built to withsatnd the abuse.

244dt84.jpg

v8eou1.jpg

Anybody else think the bulge in the ankle looks strange? Am I tying my 403's too tight? Or is my foot too wide?

Don't worry about it and enjoy your Indys!

Seafinch

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions of good places to send my longwings in for a resole?

SouthNarc

Reaction score
Hey guys first time posting in the Alden thread. Just picked up my first pair of #8 shell cordovan Indy boots and I'm curious if anyone has done any modification to Mac's method of break in and sustainment?

Specifically, has anyone tried inducing heat with a hair dryer? I know that sounds off the wall, but if one of the benefits of vigorous, prolonged brushing is to get the heat up so the oils come to the surface, then it seems like this might be a shortcut.

Am I totally off here? I'm brand new to shell compared to 30+ years of polishing calf.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

curious if I could get some feedback from those more experienced in refinishing/maintaining of shell.. I acquired these shoes second hand and they were factory seconds from alden. they got beat up pretty bad after a night out in miami awhile back and sat in the corner for most of the year until recently where I decided to either clean them up or send back to alden to refinish.. one shoe has a very rough finish between the top of the toe cap and bottom of laces. I personally have never applied any wax to the shoes at all, just some reno across the toe cap awhile back. I've been working with renomat tonight and have pulled a ton of color off them, but this one shoe still has a rough, almost sandpaper appearance. not sure if it's still product to come off, or too much of the factory finish has been removed.. either way, I'll likely ship them back for a resole and upper refinish (to aldens best ability), just curious if others have seen it and if so, can provide some feedback if there is anything else I can do.. thanks!!
This is likely polish buildup from the previous owner or Alden themselves. and can be minimized / removed by lightly wetting a cloth with water and rubbing it over the affected surface for five minutes or so, with medium-level of pressure, then an insane amount of brushing. Won't fix it in one go, but do that for a few months regularly and the texture will be fixed.

movoblast

Reaction score
Hi guys, should I be concerned about a bent speedhook and some spots missing paint/dressing? First Alden's WOOHOO! I literally checked the Jcrew website twice a day religiously for a month and half for these babies.

Can I use some of my Allen Edmonds edge dressing for this? Is that a really dark brown, or black?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

curious if I could get some feedback from those more experienced in refinishing/maintaining of shell.. I acquired these shoes second hand and they were factory seconds from alden. they got beat up pretty bad after a night out in miami awhile back and sat in the corner for most of the year until recently where I decided to either clean them up or send back to alden to refinish.. one shoe has a very rough finish between the top of the toe cap and bottom of laces. I personally have never applied any wax to the shoes at all, just some reno across the toe cap awhile back. I've been working with renomat tonight and have pulled a ton of color off them, but this one shoe still has a rough, almost sandpaper appearance. not sure if it's still product to come off, or too much of the factory finish has been removed.. either way, I'll likely ship them back for a resole and upper refinish (to aldens best ability), just curious if others have seen it and if so, can provide some feedback if there is anything else I can do.. thanks!!
nephew, try the mac method for shoe care. it has been successful in the past in situation like your. do the method for several day just using the vigorous brushing

AndrewN

Reaction score
PSA: full priced Alden's are 1/3 off at haberdash with code BLACKFRIDAY. Haven't tried it myself but dappered says it works

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: j.crew #8 pct boot why do they even call it barrie last the whole design is so sleek there would have been no way i could have gotten my foot in that boot without creasing it.

returning first thing tomorrow to resist. i did order the same size as my barrie ptb's.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1180e1t.jpg

king cap toe boot
argyles otc
2yjpicx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads