• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
So correct me but are those used? If so did you find them on the shoemart website? I have looked and can't find anything like that on the website.

factory seconds aren't on the website.

you have to sign up for it through shoemart

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
visited the alden store on madison today...

i've been there numerous times and always had great customer service etc. today, it was this older gentleman, kinda stocky. INSANELY RUDE.

called me kid and was mad when I asked to try a different size.

"kid i know your size and that's not your size." (it was my size)

as i left i bought a pair of alden shoe trees for my other aldens. i came home and realized he charged me 40 bucks for the trees?!

i went back and asked to return them he goes "why'd you buy em kid?!"

i nearly snapped but maintained my cool and told them they had always been $30. he then told me the price went up.

"well sir, shoe mart still has them for $30."

"shoe mart isn't on madison ave kid! they're in **** kicker ville"

"wow!" i said

i didn't even want to argue anaymore so i just took my voided receipt and left.

absolute hell...i'm never buying shoes there ever again.

it's leather soul, leffot or bust.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chestercopperpot

They need a better employee training program \t
confused.gif

Newstyle

Reaction score
factory seconds aren't on the website.

you have to sign up for it through shoemart

How do you do that?

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
How do you do that?
I've dealt primarily with Ed. He'll probably be familiar with most things Alden. He's always be incredibly helpful to me. Call, ask for him, and just let him know you want to be on the email/Aldens 2nds list.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i've been there numerous times and always had great customer service etc. today, it was this older gentleman, kinda stocky. INSANELY RUDE.

as i left i bought a pair of alden shoe trees for my other aldens. i came home and realized he charged me 40 bucks for the trees?!

i nearly snapped but maintained my cool and told them they had always been $30. he then told me the price went up.

"wow!" i said

man, that sucks. I've been there a few times but being a younger customer I've always felt slightly uncomfortable there, especially with the older salesmen. I think they assume that if they bring me something that is 1/2 a size off, but wider or narrower, I'll buy it because it is the "only one left in stock" or that "it fits me well". They are probably much better in dealing with older customers who they know are loaded. I wouldn't necessarily avoid this place but there are other options for trying on Aldens in the city as we all know.

REguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
man, that sucks. I've been there a few times but being a younger customer I've always felt slightly uncomfortable there, especially with the older salesmen. I think they assume that if they bring me something that is 1/2 a size off, but wider or narrower, I'll buy it because it is the "only one left in stock" or that "it fits me well". They are probably much better in dealing with older customers who they know are loaded. I wouldn't necessarily avoid this place but there are other options for trying on Aldens in the city as we all know.

+1 On them trying to get you into the wrong size just to clear their stockroom. I was in there the other day and wanted to try a shoe I liked that was on the Hampton last. The pair he brought out was clearly the Tremont. When I pointed this out, he was adamant that it was the Hampton. Whenever I go there I always feel like I have to have my guard up because they're such hucksters.

They were also treating some old guy in the store like crap. Young or old, I think they're just plain rude. Unfortunately, they're sometimes the only place that might have your size so you have to deal with it.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's crazy. Even J. Crew sells them for $30

cimabue

Reaction score
Take your complaint to Alden. I have to think they wouldn't appreciate a**holes flogging their merchandise. Sounds like Ikey needs to be brought into line there.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"wow!" i said

I am pretty certain they are independent and not owned by Alden. But to bring up the price in another store is rather douche IMHO. I'm not sure what the Alden trees are like but I use the Woodlore Epic's:

14.jpg

I am having problems with the LeatherSoul sites.

I was in Alden DC on Saturday and they have some Cigar, Chukka, PTB and NST's I believe, and Ravello Longwing's. They have Whiskey PTB's and Wing Tips similar to this:

Shortwing-blucher.jpg

With a similar contrasting heel. Out of the two I much prefer the Ravello. They may have Ravello Chukka's as well. I am not sure of sizes.

They seem to have Cigar and Whiskey PTB's every time I am there.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not real sure Alden directly would care, as they aren't involved daily with the goings-on at that particular store? I'm also disheartened by a, well, not POOR exactly but "less than stellar" customer service experience reported on the other forum, not sure if it's been mentioned here. That experience also involved Alden NYC IIRC.

The guy got a reply from Tarlow (or, more likely, his "office") expressing a sentiment kind of akin to "so what do you want me to do?" when the guy initially thought his MTO fee wouldn't be refunded after shoes were returned due to manufacturing defect. That situation worked out okay - the guy ended up losing about 25 bucks on the deal, but he wore the shoes for a little while before the defect became apparent, so call it a wash. Even so, the response left a slightly... off... taste in my mouth - maybe just in comparison to what AE or EG or other companies' stellar service reports, but still.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
I was in Alden DC on Saturday and they have some Cigar, Chukka, PTB and NST's I believe, and Ravello Longwing's. They have Whiskey PTB's and Wing Tips similar to this:

Shortwing-blucher.jpg

With a similar contrasting heel. Out of the two I much prefer the Ravello. They may have Ravello Chukka's as well. I am not sure of sizes.

Just called the DC store and they indicated that the only shell wing tips are Ravello long wings, no short wings in shell (and none with the contrasting heel).
frown.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It seems to me an appropriate response would have been an offer to remake the shoes as soon as practicable with a refunding of any MTO fees. Maybe throw in a coupon for a future purchase ($100 off or something) due to all the problems that ensued.

I had a similar issue with a pair of Aldens that I special ordered through Tom at Leather Soul last year. The shoes were defective, Alden admitted they were. However, as I require a narrow size none of Tom's stock sized shoes from that order would have worked for me as a replacement. I'm sure it's a shoe Tom would never order again. I accepted the fact that I just wasn't going to get those shoes, and ended up getting a pair of snuff suede flex-welt chukkas as replacements. I wear the chukkas far more than I would have worn the ordered shoes. I was disappointed initially, but felt getting another pair settled the issue.

Alden didn't do a stellar job handling the issue with YoungClay, but it was really a Catch-22 due to his unusual size and the use of one of the rare shell colors on his shoe.

Those interested in reading the saga can do so here.

Unrelated to that, Horween/shell cordovan fans will be interested in this 1934 letter from Horween explaining shell cordovan (also originally linked from AAAC).

Originally Posted by TheWGP
Not real sure Alden directly would care, as they aren't involved daily with the goings-on at that particular store? I'm also disheartened by a, well, not POOR exactly but "less than stellar" customer service experience reported on the other forum, not sure if it's been mentioned here. That experience also involved Alden NYC IIRC.

The guy got a reply from Tarlow (or, more likely, his "office") expressing a sentiment kind of akin to "so what do you want me to do?" when the guy initially thought his MTO fee wouldn't be refunded after shoes were returned due to manufacturing defect. That situation worked out okay - the guy ended up losing about 25 bucks on the deal, but he wore the shoes for a little while before the defect became apparent, so call it a wash. Even so, the response left a slightly... off... taste in my mouth - maybe just in comparison to what AE or EG or other companies' stellar service reports, but still.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
+1 On them trying to get you into the wrong size just to clear their stockroom. I was in there the other day and wanted to try a shoe I liked that was on the Hampton last. The pair he brought out was clearly the Tremont. When I pointed this out, he was adamant that it was the Hampton. Whenever I go there I always feel like I have to have my guard up because they're such hucksters.

That's an old shoe sales trick - women often run into that also - trying to make a sale when they don't have your size by saying a 10E fits like a 10.5D, etc. When I was flogging shoes while in school I was taught that technique and told that it was true - but later found out, of course, that it was pure old bs.

Originally Posted by AlanC
It seems to me an appropriate response would have been an offer to remake the shoes as soon as practicable with a refunding of any MTO fees. Maybe throw in a coupon for a future purchase ($100 off or something) due to all the problems that ensued.

With all respect, Alan, it is not reasonable to expect a company to lose money on a transaction. Maybe they could remake the shoes and throw in a can of polish, but how much would they have to cough up, not just this time, but to other disgruntled customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics