Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spats

Spats Senior member

Shell Cordovan Plain Toe Bluchers Model 990, Barrie last, that fit well and were on sale for half price.

You could wear them with your birthday suit, for that price. Better get 'em, you won't be sorry. Can be worn with anything.

2. adfan

adfan Active Member

Contemplating a first purchase of some Aldens. Don't have $600 to get what I want but just tried on a pair of the Shell Cordovan Plain Toe Bluchers Model 990, Barrie last, that fit well and were on sale for half price.

This is the shoe:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._cordovan.html

Is there anyone who has these shoes and can offer thoughts on what you commonly wear them with, whether you love them, etc.? Could they be worn with a suit or are they too casual?

Thanks for the guidance and advice.

I would second the motion that this is an excellent shoe. I have it in the #8 color. Its goes well with everything...except black plants. They hold up very well and the shine is incredible.

The shoes are very well made and the soles can be re-crafted over and over again. It has a double leather sole that is extremely comfortable - and I used to buy only rubber Allen Edmond shoes. After I purchased these shoes, I sold and gave away all my Allen Edmonds.

Once you get a pair of Alden shells it's hard to go back...watch out it can be addictive.

If you can get it at half price ---definitely get it.

Finally made sure that you go 1/2 size to a full size down - the barrie last is very large. I normally wear a 13D in Allen Edmonds, but I wear 12 E in the Barrie last.

Good luck

3. rayuela

rayuela Senior member

Thanks for the info, guys. Going to grab them tomorrow if they're still there.

4. adfan

adfan Active Member

Thanks for the info, guys. Going to grab them tomorrow if they're still there.

Good luck - happy hunting..

Tell us if you get the shoe and what you think....

Regards

5. machochino

machochino Senior member

Ok, I've finally saved up enough for a pair of shell boots. I'm considering a black chukka or black indy, either with a commando sole. I've done fair amount of reading and still just can't decide. Which is ultimately more comfortable... barrie or trubalance?

The laces and eyelets look weak on the chukka. The high shaft of the indy looks constrictive. There is no retailer around me where I can try them on either.

So, if you could choose one shell boot to be as versatile and last forever... which would you choose and why? I'm not throwin down another $$$ on a pair of shoes for awhile. Thanks SF.

6. robin

robin Senior member

Which is ultimately more comfortable... barrie or trubalance?
    It depends on your feet, which is why it's important to try them on (especially if they're going to be $600+).

The barrie last does not fit me well, but the trubalance is perfect. For other people it can be the opposite.

7. stroke5

stroke5 Well-Known Member

I just received a pair of shell cordovan bal wingtips in a 9E which are on the tremont last but i'm not sure about the fit since they lace up quite differently from my other balmorals. there's also some heel lift but that could just be due to the stiffness of the double sole so it's hard to tell

basically, it seems like i won't be able to tighten up the shoes properly once/if they stretch out some and maybe i'd be better off with a 8.5E?

any thoughts on how balmorals are supposed to lace?

8. adfan

adfan Active Member

9. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Senior member

Anyone know where I could get Alden Indy's in black calf? Plenty of stores sell the cordovan but I would like something a little more casual.

10. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

Anyone know where I could get Alden Indy's in black calf? Plenty of stores sell the cordovan but I would like something a little more casual.

That's a good question, I'd be curious about the answer to this too. The only place I know of that has sold some is leathersoul. But that was a limited run of the Ultimate Indy in Black.

Maybe we can encourage him to do a reorder?

11. robin

robin Senior member

The Alden store in NYC has some black indy boots in stock.

12. youalreadyknow

youalreadyknow Senior member

don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but can anyone recommend shoes similar to the chukkas in black for cheaper? Being a college student I can't justify 400+ on shoes at the moment.

13. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

The Alden store in NYC has some black indy boots in stock.

If you can wait until 11/15, we've got a special makeup of black-on-black Indy's coming.

14. robin

robin Senior member

If you can wait until 11/15, we've got a special makeup of black-on-black Indy's coming.
    Ooo... details?

15. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

That's a good question, I'd be curious about the answer to this too. The only place I know of that has sold some is leathersoul. But that was a limited run of the Ultimate Indy in Black.

Maybe we can encourage him to do a reorder?

We have some in stock now, along with #8 and black cordovan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.