• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any love for calf leather?

With showers in the forecast, these waterlocked soles will work today.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tifosi: I used to think that color8 captoes were the best casual Alden boot out there. Your photos have convinced me that the color 8 Indy is the real winner. You wear them so well.

Now about those Navy CXL Indys for 2014....

Sazon: I have to agree. I usually wear my captoes for business casual or when I have a oxford shirt on with jeans. My Indys are super casual, jeans and a Tshirt boots. It would be hard for me to choose between them.

Those navy CXL Indys are enticing!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've really appreciated quite a number of the interesting posts and questions from the last couple of days. It's been intriguing to think about which shoes are our most essential, most versatile and/or most frequently worn and which ones emerge in retrospect as our questionable impulse buys. As I near the one year anniversary of my having discovered Aldens and fallen deeper down the rabbit hole of "nice shoes," I find it useful to try to take a macro-level view of my collection, thinking about where it's been and where it might be heading. In addition, as I contemplate my recent full-disclosure decision to forego the super secret visa vanilla gift card approach and let dear wife in on all styleforum-related purchases, I realize that I want to focus less on the quantity and manic-like excitement that comes from each pulling of the trigger for an Alden shoe and instead want to focus more on the building of as "complete" a footwear wardrobe as possible. Accordingly, a number of thoughts and questions have arisen that I'm hoping will spark a discussion amongst my fellow Alden addicts, as I very much value your opinions, experience and good humor.

For those of you who have bought fine footwear beyond Alden's offerings, where do you see Alden's place within the pantheon of nice shoes? Do you feel it covers all of your various shoe needs adequately or do you find yourself wishing they would branch in another aesthetic or functional direction (and I don't necessarily mean following AE in making god awful sneaker-like creations)? I'm asking this question because a year into the addiction, I think I've learned enough about Alden lasts, construction and materials to begin to see it in comparison with other makers (whereas for the first few months, I didn't even know what a plaza-lasted shoe looked like, let alone where to go about asking after one). For example, I've seen folks allude to Trickers, which I know nothing about other than that they make Barrie-looking boots and brogues. Do you guys think it's worth it to entertain these alternative brands? On the other end of the spectrum, how many of us also are purchasing "nicer" nice shoes such as John Lobbs, Edward Greens and G&Gs? How many are looking into comparable brands such as C&J, AS or Carmina? I've started to read the Edward Green appreciation thread on SF and have been heartened to see the same level of enthusiasm that we have going here (see, e.g., our friend Namor's numerous and illuminative posts on both EG and Alden).

As you reflect on your Alden collections, which shoe types or lasts do you feel are missing or not readily available to you? I love every one of my Aldens and sometimes lament about how infrequently some of them get worn (e.g., my first love, my tobacco fake cxl JCrew lwbs), but sometimes I wish Alden made a chelsea boot or a double monk strap shoe. Where do you guys go looking for such non-Alden fare?

I know this post has ended up long-winded and for that I apologize. I hope this does not sound like a troll post. I obviously know this is an Alden thread and want to stay relevant. I guess I'm just interested in how others relate to the brand as a whole and to what extent it meets the breadth of your style needs. I plan on remaining a loyal follower of this thread, but realize that an inadvertent effect of posting and lurking here has been that I've gained a wider appreciation for style in general as a result. I'm eager to see how others aesthetics have burgeoned or morphed as a result of all the cool posts and camaraderie shared here daily.

Thanks in advance for any comments you guys are willing to share!

Much of one's shoe collection, IMO, has to do with what one does for a living. For example, some have no need for balmorals or double monks. If that is the case, it may be easier for them to stick to Alden-only shoes/boots if that is what they desire.. For those of us who have a need for balmorals or double monks, it is necessary to look elsewhere, particularly if a sleeker last is desired. NOTE: I own black shell and color 8 shell captoe bals (perf tip) - each on Snap Last (Alden for BB) - and really like them, so I am referring to bals beyond those types of models. And, for context, I am one who almost never wears Barrie lasted shoes with a suit. Just overall too bulky for my taste. I realize many do, and that is fine (and my comment is not meant as a criticism of Barries with suits; it's just not for me).

For shell shoes and boots I look primarily to Alden, but have various models (many of which I really like) from makers like C&J, AE, and Carmina. One of the best looking shell boots produced today is the C&J Lindrick, IMO. On the whole I prefer Alden shell finishes to those of other makers, by quite a large margin.

For suede I look primarily to Alden (casual suede) or EG (dressier suede). And I agree with the sentiments on this thread that Alden suede is many times overlooked.

For calf I look primarily to EG, John Lobb, and C&J Handgrade, although I own other brands as well, including Alden.

For loafers of any leather type I look primarily to Alden (1) because I really like the Aberdeen last and (2) I need a narrow width (availability from Alden is decent on this front). Although I do own loafers from other makers too which I really like (ex. EG Belgravia).

Variety is important to me.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering seeing if I can drop the brown cxl plaintoe boot pre order and apply to the natty captoes. Not sure which I prefer and which one I need more. (Neither? Both?)

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those new CXL cap toes at Leffot are pretty nice...
If I didnt already have so much on order.
me too! However I own so many perf captoe boots and just got these in so it seems a bit redundant...Yet I want them...

masaccio

Reaction score
Just spent a good hour and a half catching up on this thread while carrying my baby and getting her back to sleep. Some great pictures and some very informative discussions.

This thread might be a constant threat to my bank balance, but it's also an incredible source of knowledge (and wisdom), and a fine community of gentlemen.

And then the alarm clock rings, signaling its time for me to get up (and to do so quietly, so as not to disturb sleeping children). I think today I will choose an outfit with which I can pair my Color #8 LHS. And I will check again the order status of my J. Crew #8 PCT boots.

Carry on, gentlemen.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Sorry if i'm bringing something back from a while ago. But another member posted this photo (sorry, can't remember who) and it is just simply sublime. I am wondering if anyone can tell me which make-ups, colors, and lasts these are? I understand the shortage in lighter colored shell, but I would like to know anyway, in case it ends when i'm ready to buy. Really want my first pair of aldens when I can free up some funds. Would prefer revello, but #8 would also be nice. Really want a cap-toe boot...

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
far right look like daytrippers in ravello from leffot. atleast look very similar to my pair. grant last I think.

second from right look like #4, not sure who they are from, maybe shoemart?

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could get these babies in cigar and ravello but I love them in #8

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Sorry if i'm bringing something back from a while ago. But another member posted this photo (sorry, can't remember who) and it is just simply sublime. I am wondering if anyone can tell me which make-ups, colors, and lasts these are? I understand the shortage in lighter colored shell, but I would like to know anyway, in case it ends when i'm ready to buy. Really want my first pair of aldens when I can free up some funds. Would prefer revello, but #8 would also be nice. Really want a cap-toe boot...
Guessing from the grass and boots that it's MrDV. :) I will take a guess at lasts, but I will get them wrong. I think the Cigars at least are Grant. Ravellos look Grant like also. Color 8 look Plaza. Color 4s kind of look Barrie. -Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads