1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

those look great uncle mac. have a great sunday.

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

3. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Never said AE were the be all end all, but clearly I have more experience with AE than I do Alden, so when I throw out examples of what I have and what I like it's to tie conetext to my post since I clearly was looking for purchasing advise for another boot. If you think AE doesn't compare to Alden, good for you, but it was an unnecessary and inflammatory post that didn't add to the discusssion . If you're annoyed that I stated that I owned and liked a AE Dalton's simply move on. We're all entitle to our opinions, but I didn't come over here to piss on Alden's cornflakes. Certain Alden's I enjoy very much. Certain AE's I enjoy as well; balmorals in particular where I believe Alden struggles.

This is not a zero sum game.

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Summer Time and the livin' is easy.

6. REguy

REguy Senior member

This for the win.

90% of guys think owning more than a couple pairs of shoes or paying more than $100 is outrageous. Here we are, a bunch of guys who have shoe collections worth thousands of dollars arguing about who has better taste. First world problems to be sure.

Buy what you like and enjoy!

3 people like this.
  7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

LoL. My wife LOVES to ask people how much they would spend on a nice pair of dress shoes. Most people will say up to $150 if they look nice and fit well... Have I ever mentioned before that my wife hates Alden?

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I mentioned my Leffot Tanker preorder to my wife the other day and she said something along the lines of "isn't that the $600 pair of boots?" with a little shock and confusion in her voice. At that point I didn't have they heart to correct her and tell her the real price haha. Since after the exchange rate, shipping and customs fees I will likely be in for around $900 CAD.

She will probably grow to hate Alden too as my collection grows.

9. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I have found that the easiest way to justify your own shoe purchases is to encourage your wife to indulge in whatever excesses she fancies, to the extent that she enjoys material possessions of course (though few, in my experience, don't).

10. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Double post deleted

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Reguy makes a valid point. I just did a quick inventory of my collections and yikes! I almost feel guilty....and then I get a fresh whiff of the cedar and cordovan well worth the expenditure.

12. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Does anyone make a snuff suede 6 eyelet chukkah on commando sole?

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Nope. 6 eyelet Chukkas are quite rare for some reason. J Gilbert has a great makeup in brown suede. Search the thread for great shots by Don L

14. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

+1

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Easy there Buddy. Nothing wrong with critiquing the Dalton especially after you brought it up here, as a stronger wingtip boot than Alden (Kirkwood, right?). Many of us here frequently critique Alden make ups also no holds barred. Roguls has every right to respond. Some or maybe most would agree that he could turn down the tone. I am one to agree.

16. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Any snuff chukkahs at all you know of?

17. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Buddy made some valid points, with that said it is an alden thread some blow back had to be expected.

1 person likes this.
  18. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

@thebeebs my friend, you are on fire today... First women with low-self esteem and last but not least, Mac's shiny sockless loafers with shorts! :D lol... Quite entertaining.

19. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Huh? In 6 eyelet I already said no. 2 eyelet is a stock Alden model that any retailer can pull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.