1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhcam8

jhcam8 Distinguished Member

as asked for,
    here is a mirror shot to give an idea of the look with a dark jean,

Alden Natural Chromexcel Indy, with Ironheart jeans.
    sorry i am pretty short, 5'4", so not the best 6' sized typical tall look for ya!
    i am loving' the Indy's regardless, such a great material, build and color combo Alden has made with this shoe in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Nice combo!

2. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior Member

I think that I have to buy those natural chromexcel indy boots. I mean, obviously I want to buy them, but really, at this point the decision seems like it's out of my hands. I just have to buy them.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Should Aldens come in a cloth bag? I just bought a pair of 403 indy boots and they did not come in a cloth bag but instead wrapped in clear plastic bags (all inside the box, of course).

Aldens come in plastic bags with flannel bags folded in the bottom of the box. I don't think my regular Indy boots came with flannel bags, though.

4. kylelovesyou

Sort of an odd question: I've got these (http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=6155). I really like the look of red laces in hiking boots, do you think it would look absurd if I threw some red laces onto these burgundy dress boots? I like the idea that they would look a bit more casual and rugged, plus I think the colors might blend nicely.

5. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior Member

Sort of an odd question: I've got these (http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=6155). I really like the look of red laces in hiking boots, do you think it would look absurd if I threw some red laces onto these burgundy dress boots? I like the idea that they would look a bit more casual and rugged, plus I think the colors might blend nicely.
    Umm... are you serious? If you're so curious about how they might look, then why don't you just swap out the laces? I don't think it would be a good look... because they are casual boots, not hiking boots. Someone did post a pair of beat up Ultimate Indy's with some yellow hiking laces that looked decent, but that's because they were being worn as hiking boots. That being said, the Indy boot looks far more utilitarian than the wingtip boot.

6. kylelovesyou

I realize I could just pick up some laces and try it, but the thought just occurred to me this morning and I was curious what response it would bring. It's not because I don't love the boots as they are, just wondered how far I could push thing with them.

7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior Member

Sort of an odd question:

I've got these (http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=6155). I really like the look of red laces in hiking boots, do you think it would look absurd if I threw some red laces onto these burgundy dress boots? I like the idea that they would look a bit more casual and rugged, plus I think the colors might blend nicely.

I saw a picture of the burgundy cordovan longwings (shoes) with red laces and they looked pretty cool in a Paul Smith sort of way.

8. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Distinguished Member

Anyone know where to get laces that match what Alden uses on the standard Indy and their shell boots? I've searched the net and haven't been able to find the right lace at the right length.

9. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Distinguished Member

Anyone know where to get laces that match what Alden uses on the standard Indy and their shell boots? I've searched the net and haven't been able to find the right lace at the right length.

From an Alden dealer. We sell them for $3.

10. swooc

swooc Senior Member

anyone know a place that still has the suede summer plain toe oxfords in chocolate brown in stock? i'm after a pair in 7US-8US.

11. ninja07

ninja07 Senior Member

Gentleman,

I need your opinion regarding a pair of new Alden 12.5E Ravello (Shell) longwings that I can buy for $400. I know - great price - sorry I can't say who is selling them....

I normally wear 12EE in Alden shell longwings.

Do you guys think that the 12.5 E may be too big for someone who normally wears 12EEs.

I worried about width.

The fact that its ravello and only $400 - its too tempting.

Thanks,

me too, I went with my heart and scored a pair of ravello shell wing tip boots in 12C. really beautiful boots, but I just could not make the size work. Thinking of putting them up for sale soon. PM me for details if anyone is keen....

12. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Distinguished Member

Ok, i have my heart set on some Context roy boots but want to absolutely make sure I get the sizing right.... what would be best way to do this?

go to a alden shop and try something similar on? any ideas? thanks

13. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior Member

Ok, i have my heart set on some Context roy boots but want to absolutely make sure I get the sizing right.... what would be best way to do this?

go to a alden shop and try something similar on? any ideas? thanks

Try on a pair of Indy boots. Those are on the same last and should fit you quite similarly.

14. slide13

slide13 Distinguished Member

Try on a Chromexcel Indy if you can, they fit bigger I think. I have a Roy and a new 405 both in size 11 and they fit differently to me sure, though maybe not so much as to necessitate a change in size in most cases. My 405 has a lot of spacer between the sides of the upper when laced up...my Roy boots come together completely touching...both are fine in length though.

15. kylelovesyou

Try on a pair of Indy boots. Those are on the same last and should fit you quite similarly.

Just wanted to say that I love your blog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.