• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommi

Reaction score
Alden for Brooks Brothers loafers. My fourth pair of Aldens and second shell pair.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: the ravello NST shoes (aberdeen) that I returned to shoemart have finally shown up (they went missing for a couple days)

if anyone is TTS 12D, may be worth ringing them up. they were selling them for $450 when I bought them two weeks ago

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All: looking for some advice here. If you could only have one pair of color 8 shell shoes, and you intended to wear them only with outfits ranging from business casual to suits, which would you choose?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the face of way too many recent buys, starting to question my Leffot #8 Tanker pre order so far as fitting into my wardrobe. For those who have it, do they successfully get any real use as a business casual boot or it mostly a casual wear item? I really like it but wondering if I should let it go. Thanks.

I have the #8 Tankers (from Context though and not Leffot) and they get the most wear of any of my boots, especially in the fall and the winter. I wear a lot of tweed, moleskin, and corduroy to the office and they work great with all of those. I'll also wear them with my flannel trousers and a sportcoat quite a bit too. About the only thing I will not wear them with is an actual suit. IMO, they are definitely not sleek boots and they seem to work best with an outfit with some texture.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All: looking for some advice here. If you could only have one pair of color 8 shell shoes, and you intended to wear them only with outfits ranging from business casual to suits, which would you choose?

BB Wingtips

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Color 8 Tassel. It wouldn't be my first choice for either scenario, but if I had to go with one that serves both purposes, I think utility is maximized with such a selection.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This will probably be the only vote for them, but I'll say the 4-eyelet handsewn blucher. In Color #8 I have PTB, LWB, SWB, chukkas, and the Tanker boot and these get the most wear of anything I own, by far. As an added bonus, they are on the flex welt sole which is extremely comfortable. They may be bordering on the old man side of things, but it's hard to beat the comfort and the versatility.

If you like the looks of the LHS loafer but loafers aren't for you for whatever reason, these are a really good alternative.

My second choice would be PTB. It's hard to go wrong with such a simple design like the plain toe.

Last edited:

GooseG

Reaction score
Ugh. This is too hard.

For as many purposes as possible? Probably a shortwing, or some straight tip captoe bluchers.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ I second the straight tip bluchers. They are on my radar as well.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree with Ryden 100%. Commando is perfect. When you are wearing them and even from the side it is really hard to tell they are a lugged sole.

I'm wearing my #8 Captoes on Grant today. Double leather sole. Go 1/2 up from Trubalance on these. These fit just as good as my Trubalance lasted boots. These are from The Shoe Mart, but a couple retailers have them.

nephew,

looking good

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Alden for Brooks Brothers loafers. My fourth pair of Aldens and second shell pair.

wear in good health

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the medallion cap toe blucher (2145), but there are a bunch of other nice options also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads