1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Looking great Dubs! I like your cap toe bluchers my friend; enjoy them often and in great health!

2. ReppTiePrepster

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thanks. What don't you like about the brown CXL bluchers? Is it because they aren't on Commando? I have my lined brown CXL bluchers from Epaulet and I use them for the same purpose. I really use them as a sneaker, haha. Whenever I need to throw shoes on, they are usually the pair.

4. ReppTiePrepster

Couldn't agree more!

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Hope people get in on those Alden NYC preorders. IME they have been the best source of rare shell. I was called about the Whiskey Indy boots. I've owned a pair before, but they were lightly worn, so I will likely pass.

6. ReppTiePrepster

The unlined brown chrmxyl is nice. It fills nice role but it is light-weight and not substantial enough for what I intended. I wish I would have gone with a lined chrmxl PTB or LWB on commando (I couldn't find one available at the time). I really love my natty chrmxl on double leather soles but commando would have been preferable.

I have too many shoes... so says my wife, ugh! She's probably right.

7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Ryden,

They didn't call or E-mail me when I called them, because I don't think they were done contacting their customers before it got published on the net. They did verify that I was on the list before taking my payment info.

-Mike

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Given all of this I still think the Chamois LWB on Commando from Leffot is perfect for you

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Beebs,

I concur completely with your statement. We need to be very careful in not burning out the special retailers who decide to do the rare shells. 500 calls in 20 minutes to sell 12 shoes is not very encouraging or motivating to them.

-Mike

10. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I believe it is usually Madison.

1 person likes this.
  12. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Both shops are in midtown but there is only one Alden store -- the one on Madison near 44th/Brooks Brothers. Citishoes, on Park near 57, carries Alden as well.

13. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

I have been given consent to make this PSA on our lovely forum: I've just spoken with Alex from Harrison Limited ( http://www.harrisonlimited.com/ ) I've just made a deposit on a pair of cigar shell tassel loafers on Aberdeen that has come in. I spoke with him just this past March about the preorder and the batch has already come in. He tells me that he has a pretty full run of sizes available. Price is $695 plus approx $20 for shipping.

So much for the great shell shortage. The sudden availability of rarer shell seems to be consistent with what had been said in that WSJ article recently about supply coming available soon.

In other news, the same retailer tells me they've got full strap pennies in brown cxl with a flex sole, unlined.

14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Clearly Alex didn't mind getting barraged with the cigar PTB calls!

15. docalden2013

That's what he told me precisely, as the calls translated into sales.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

+1. If a retailer is annoyed by phone calls from people who want to throw $800 at them....then they are in the wrong business. I highly doubt this is the case.

3 people like this.
  17. halfnhalfnhalf

18. docalden2013

I'd also like to add re Harrison Limited that Alex was a very organized, accommodating and flexible seller. He not only had the exact date of our conversation written down along with all of my information, but he also understood when I told him that I was on another rare shell preorder for which the funds were spoken (due to a 2 day pre-authorization to create a ticket for the actual transaction later this fall). He was perfectly willing to allow me to put down a deposit and to let me finalize the transaction next week when the funds are freed up, given my having bought cxl chukkas from him earlier in the season. He was gentlemanly for sure.

Looking forward to seeing pics of what can hopefully be called formerly-rare shell sometime soon!

19. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I can confirm. I just spoke and initially was told that the best he can do is put me on the list while he gives first preference to those already on the list. I fortunately was already on their list and he just hadn't gotten to me yet during his calls. He took my order for the Ravello WT Boot. I would prefer all eyelets with a leather sole also, but I don't know if that opportunity will ever arise. At least when it is re-sole time I can change it up.

20. halfnhalfnhalf

Follow-up: I too spoke with Alex at Harrison Limited about the tassel loafers. I wasn't part of the pre-order but he called me just because he thought I might be interested. And, he reiterated that he'll take as many phone calls as people care to make.

That there is some good customer service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.