1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Was the issue isolated to an area where the leather is stretched? I thought that normally happened on the toe area and such.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

3. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Gentlemen, all looking terrific! Henry, those are one of the best Alden's made. Glad you are happy with them and going to get good use of them. DonL, those snuffs are beautiful and comfy looking. Saz, those are magnificent! I love the color and character! Steven, natty CXL is a very nice and will continue. -Mike

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  4. REguy

REguy Senior member

Interestingly enough, the toes have really nice graining. I think that might be a function of the grain being a bit finer. Almost every pair of scotchgrain shoes I own have "flatter" graining on the toe from stretching. These particular shoes have the crappy leather on the outside quarter just behind the lacing holes. The shoe that was wrinkled like crazy looked like it was a combination of poor leather and lousy lasting, almost like there was a bunch of excess leather in the arch.

5. aerosurferlv

aerosurferlv Well-Known Member

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Great boots, and great shade of ravello. From what I can tell, it is nearly an exact match to my ravello LWB on double waterloc.

7. ReppTiePrepster

It certainly does!

8. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

I had two pairs of Alden 975s come from Jcrew. One pair, there was a gouge in the leather so I ordered another pair and the 2nd pair used significantly less leather. The 2nd pair looks a lot flatter as a result, and the heels are about half a centimeter shorter. I guess they were trying to conserve leather with the 2nd pair? So strange that I have seen so much variability in the different pairs.

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Ed from the shoemart is pretty awesome.

10. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

I called him too. Unfortunately I have a very common shoe size so there's almost no chance of me getting a pair but I put my name down [​IMG]

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Me too, but he called me quickly and offered to put me on the list for the next go around. This works out well as I have other things I would like to acquire anyway. Very polite and responsive.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

It can be very frustrating .....

13. ReppTiePrepster

Can we see pics of this? This sounds terrible!

14. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

[​IMG]

Model 2210 king nst. One of the top 5 make-ups w/o question.

1 person likes this.
  15. blope

blope Member

J. Crew has great customer service.

I got the Navy CXL LWB, wore them for 6 weeks and they started to split on one of the wings. I called them, they are sending me a new pair of Tobacco LWB, knocked 10% off and sent me a $25 gift card.

16. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Best of the best IMO.

17. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Heel height is indeed half centimeter off but its hard to capture that in a picture. [​IMG]
    Left is first pair. Right is second pair. Right pair has a lot less volume. I'm in a profession where we're trained to detect even half millimeter differences, so to me this looks crazy off. I thought it was just me, so I did a blind test and waited to see if my girlfriend would comment first, and sure enough she did. She asked me if I got a new pair of shoes. I told her it was an exchange pair and she was shocked by how "off" the second pairs look. This is coming from someone who can't tell my captoes apart from my wingtips, so I know it's not just me. She and I both like the aesthetics of the first pair better, but I actually prefer the fit of the second pair (I have flat feet).

[​IMG]

I would keep the 2nd pair just for the better fit, but if you look at the pic above of the left and right sides of the 2nd pair, you can see that the right side is affected moreso than the left and the heel heights of both sides are still about half centimeter shorter.

I guess I'm keeping the first pair and sending the second pair back. And I guess this is why you guys have been saying that even shoes that are the same size, and on the same last can fit a little differently.

18. sevenfoldtieguy

This is absolutely the truth.

19. aerosurferlv

aerosurferlv Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think of my tankers? They're navy blue chromexcel with antique commando sole, trubalance last.

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Can you post a better picture? Tough to see the true color

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.