• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up my first pair of shell #8 captoe commandos a few weeks ago and have been looking for an answer that will help me with break in. I stare at them daily pondering how I should go about doing this and if I'm missing anything... I did pick up a horsehair brush, cedar shoe trees, Saphir Renovateur, and color 8 cordovan paste wax (both of which I've not used yet).

I've read Mac's break-in guide to wearing them for 3 sessions on carpet (which I've yet to do), but also flipping through some of the pictures in this thread have noticed that the shine on most of the boots I see are crisp and extremely polished, but out of the box, mine seem like they have a light oily sheen on them. I've tried brushing it out with no application of any creme or product. Some parts of the boot still look a bit "oily" while some parts are a little dull (as opposed to having a wet nail polish look I see in a lot of the pictures in this thread).

Is this shine developed over time? Does anyone apply anything prior to wearing them for the first time ever? (Sorry for asking questions that may have already been asked and answered)

I'll try to post some pics to show what I mean when I can. Thanks!

Brush with horse hair brush and buff with a soft cloth, out of the box. With commando soles, I don't think you need to wear several times on carpet if you are already sold on the fit. Wear and enjoy them my friend!

Many of the pictures here look "glass-like," "dipped in liquid chocolate," etc... due to the correct outdoor lighting and sometimes manipulative electronic apps. Wipe down with a damp, soft towel, brush, and buff before wearing (or after). They will look great! Apply wax or conditioning cream a couple of times each year. The conditioning and wax doesn't do a whole lot to make them shine, imho.

These are pics of mine that have not seen any wax yet...
(sme

aldenwear

Reaction score
Brush with horse hair brush and buff with a soft cloth, out of the box. With commando soles, I don't think you need to wear several times on carpet if you are already sold on the fit. Wear and enjoy them my friend!

Many of the pictures here look "glass-like," "dipped in liquid chocolate," etc... due to the correct outdoor lighting and sometimes manipulative electronic apps. Wipe down with a damp, soft towel, brush, and buff before wearing (or after). They will look great! Apply wax or conditioning cream a couple of times each year. The conditioning and wax doesn't do a whole lot to make them shine, imho.

(sme

Really great looking. A man taking care of his things.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Nine-Eight-Six, EP Linen & OTC

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ultimate Jumpers at the Topsfield Fair.

Surprisingly I haven't seen much shell :)

Last edited:

Rishi Kakar

Reaction score

(sme

RTP you have an outstanding collection and very well cared for. Keep up the love.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great lineup.  FWIW, I didn't like the pull tabs, so I called Alden HQ and asked them if they would remove for me, and they did, free of charge.  Mr Sazon originally turned me on to the idea, and it's really helped with my trousers riding up on my legs, esp after sitting.

BTW, haven't posted for several months, but surprised to see how much tougher the exotics are to find compared to this time last year.  A friend of mine is in the market for anything in Cigar or Ravello in a size 12, and I can't point him toward one source.  Fortunately for me, I stocked up last year with the purchase of 15 pairs of shell in about every model I fancied (props to SFTG for his counsel throughout that process...)

Hope everyone's enjoying the weekend!

Thanks for the kind words. Welcome back.

newbiealden

Reaction score
what does this forum think of the double monk alfred sargent from j. crew? I'm looking for a brown dress shoe around that price point.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

what does this forum think of the double monk alfred sargent from j. crew?  I'm looking for a brown dress shoe around that price point.

If you can get a coupon that works, they're a no brainier. Also do a search for the Ramsey model. I've got that in whiskey cordo and navy calf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads