1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhythm

rhythm Member

Your combos always look good dv. I also prefer slim (not skinny) pants with no break and personally think Alden's look great when paired that way.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I dont agree with saying the way people look or dress effects their work ethic or the product produced.

Its their personal choice.
    Maybe they drive a Lambo and have a house in the Hamptons and thats how they choose to spend their cash...

Many of us on here have beautiful Alden, Tricker, EG, Carmina shoes but the rest of the clothing is just normal.
    Hobbies and tastes are just that. Nice shoes doesnt automatically equal nice pants, nice shirts, etc.
    Saying they should or they have to is absurd.

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

How did we know you'd be back?
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

For what its worth, I have even heard Alden retailers express similar dissatisfaction with Alden.

5. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I can appreciate your points about not being able to make employees care, but my opinion is this is still a cultural tone set top down, not bottom up. I've never seen it work or be driven the other way around - it nearly always falls back on management (I'm bowing out of the Union aspect of this discussion...).

Google and Apple aren't overly relevant in the context of what amounts to a discussion of blue collar manufacturing of commodity goods.

When you say "most workplaces encourage the workforce to be forthcoming...", this is again management encouraging this behavior.

We can agree that it takes both sides to be successful, and my opinion is when the culture of a facility is generally not geared to produce a quality product, the first place to start investigating is the philosophy of the management, and the culture of the plant.

My suspicion (and it's just my guess) is that at Alden culturally all the "flaws" we obsess over are simply not viewed the same way people here see them - and unless management drives a change, quality will likely continue down the same path.

And we Lemmings will continue to bemoan it, and gladly shell out $700+ to sell out an offering in 20 minutes... Hahahahah :D

Cheers,
    BN

6. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

No, but it can IMPACT the culture of the company.

If you looked at Apple in the 80s, they dressed like COMPLETE SHIT. But it was cool. It was counter culture. It was a big FUCK YOU to corporate America. This culture helped them innovate and change the computer industry in the 80s, unlike IBM.

If you work at a high end dress shoe company, which most people consider Alden to be, you better have the culture right. I wouldn't even use the bathroom at Alden's factory.

7. Man with Apple

+1. What do I care what they wear while making my shoes? I just want the shoes to turn out top quality. It's the poor quality that should be bothersome, and I think the OP's talk about their "looks" was certainly misguided and misfortunate.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

9. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

My point went completely over your head.

10. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

You are quite special indeed...

11. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Just as I assumed.... Can't be taken at his word.

12. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

I believe we've been entertaining a Troll.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I think you guys are being a little hard on omert. Just let him have his own opinion. You don't have to insist that he is wrong or try to invalidate it. I acknowledge that this happens in all internet forums, so its no surprise.

I don't back everything that he says, but I don't think it is so unreasonable to suggest that there might be a relationship between someone taking pride in their work and someone taking pride in their appearance. I imagine a lot of the work that the Alden workers do is messy, with hot cork and edge dressing, so I don't expect them to wear nice clothes. But for example, I used to work in a very conservative office, and if you showed up with a stain on your tie, wrinkled pants and your shirt was untucked, it would reflect poorly on you, and people might wonder if you take your work seriously. So while I don't necessarily agree, I see his point. It is really not that absurd, and I think a lot of folks have looked a little ridiculous by refusing to see the potential validity in what I perceive that he is trying to say.

My theory is actually that the C&J workers knew that the video was going to be filmed that day, and everyone made a point of putting their best foot forward for the video. Also, that video seems to have been edited to a higher degree.

For Alden, they may have known there was going to be a video, they may not have, but since it was sort of an informal video, not to be posted on their own company's youtube channel, they didn't make a point of doing anything differently. Again, just speculation, I don't claim to know for sure.

I think that omert has been crucified by some, and agree with the points he makes about buzzwords and sensationalism. Crazy how people today get so excited about such stupid things, and just believe what they want to.

Anyway, put me on the cross next to him for being dissonant.

1 person likes this.
  14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

agreed.

my latest acquisition, trade with zr0e. gonna reno them and brush a bit on sunday night during tv. happy to see Van last works well for me

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Right - and maybe they don't get paid enough to buy the sort of luxury goods they manufacture for others. Those kids making sneakers for $1 a day in Southeast Asia wear really terrible sneakers, for example. Makes me question their work ethic.

16. Man with Apple

I will remind you that you are the one who keeps bringing up the clothing the employees wear.

You are quite the opinionated little fellow.

I just find it entertaining that the guy who wants to "grow" calf leather and shells in a laboratory is trying to educate all of us and Alden, which has been around for about 100 years, on how a workforce should be established.

But maybe if all the Alden employees and bathrooms were drenched in Dior Bois D'argent, you would be much happier, as they would at least pass your smell test.

Just thought I would toss in more trolling this dude has done.

17. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

Thank you Bakes17711. I am used to the critique I've received in the thread. I was once called a bigot for saying that the current issue of marriage is a definition issue, rather than an equal right's issue (because technically gays have the same marriage rights as straights), and people called me a bigot. If people could put their feelings aside, maybe they would see my point.

Regardless of my thoughts on Alden's QC, they still do produce shoes that will last a long time because of quality materials and proven manufacturing techniques. They just need to take care of the details. They don't have that culture in place. You can tell from QC issues all the way to the flimsy, small boxes they still ship with their shoes. Check out Viberg's new packaging. You can tell they really do care.

Oh, and it's obvious Johnnyrich doesn't understand my point at all with that post above. But hey, if a person doesn't agree with popular opinion, the only logical conclusion is that they are a troll because no sane person would go against popular opinion. By the way, Dior Bois D'argent is one of my most complimented fragrances.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  18. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

But Alden workers don't look much different than EG workers, do they?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Not excusing Alden's poor QC, btw. But what their factory workers look like and/or how they dress has nothing to do with it though.

19. rhythm

rhythm Member

20. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

Quite impressive shoes with the fiddleback waists and channeled soles being produced in that video. I wonder if Alden cares enough to take care of details like that or are they gonna keep shoving Barrie last shoes with poor QC down our throat?

This is no different than the overweight street wear cool guys who have never been in a gym buying atlethic shoes like Jordans at $200, despite the shitty quality and longevity. That doesn't matter. It's a Jordan shoe. Take my money now.

Same here with Alden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.