1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Shot of whiskey for Friday...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My lawn is just about back, @MrDV ! I hope everyone has a nice weekend...

3 people like this.
  2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Did you get in on it?

3. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I wish someone did a Dover in Ravello or Whiskey. I'd kill for that. Prefer a Dover over the PTB.

4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Nah, never even considered it.

5. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Hey guys, quick question about your barrie lwb sizing. I bought a pair of Jcrew 975s in 8.5D and a pair of Cigar LWB a couple days later in 9D. I wasn't sure of my barrie lwb sizing. I take a 8.5D in Marlows and 9D in Jcrew barrie PCT boots and Jcrew shell chukkas.

I received the Jcrew 975 in 8.5D first, and they fit very well. Nice and comfortable in the toe box with no heel slipping (or very very slight with thin socks).
    Then my Shoemart cigar lwb in 9D arrived and I was expecting them to be too big, but when I tried them on, they fit me exactly the same as the 8.5D Jcrew 975s. I lined up the two pairs, and I had to squint to see the small difference in size.

This was the complete opposite of my marlow experience where 8.5D was good but 9D's were way too big (significant amount of heel slipping).
    Am I doing this shoe fitting thing right? Now I'm doubting the fit of all my shoes. When I compare my actual foot size and the size either one of the LWBs, I think the LWBs are a good 3-4 inches longer than my actual foot. But the guy at Sherman Brothers also believes that I belong in either a 8.5D or 9D which is weird because my brannock size is somewhere between those two.

Keep the cigars? Very minor heel slipping with thin socks but maybe once they break they'll become too big?

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  6. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

Nah, that's not even scratching the surface of creepy....

7. RobinM

RobinM Senior member

Alden Dover style is a common type of plain toe Blucher. Not common for Alden, but absolutely the norm for almost every other shoemaker.

Technically, the standard Alden 'PTB' is a 'whole-cut' Blucher. A standard for Alden, yet not so common elsewhere (except maybe the famous Church's Shannon).

Once I asked Vass to do a MTO whole-cut Blucher (i.e. Alden style PTB) in saddle shell, and was told the size of the shell they have was not large enough for a whole-cut PTB. They could make a Dover style (Vass London style) by stitching pieces of smaller shell though.

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

They really won't break in and become much larger than they are now. Even though I am in the right size barrie I don't wear thin socks with them because the last is just so generous. I probably could drop to a 7.5 and be able to wear thin socks, but I think the length would be off. If you just need to wear a bit thicker sock with the Cigars, I'd keep them. I have some really thin socks and some thicker socks. I normally wear the same types with the same shoes all the time.

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Keep the cigars? Very minor heel slipping with thin socks but maybe once they break they'll become too big?

While it's odd both fit comfortably, I wouldn't over-think this. If both feel great, I'd keep both. Some room might be created after your foot sinks a bit into the cork bed, but I wouldn't anticipate the cigars "becoming" too big. Good luck...

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+1

Th longer you are in the shoe game, the more likely you are to run into things like this, and not just with Alden. Further, handmade shoes - same model, same size - never fit exactly the same. I have various Alden models in more than one shell color - and it is not uncommon for those to be different sizes (ex. some are 9.5D, some are 9.5C and some are 9D).

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

When I checked with Alden SF about 3 months ago they said they had no current plans of placing an order either. I'm a non-standard size, and DC is pretty good about keeping lists, so hopefully they'll reserve a spot for me once they decide to re-order.

12. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2 people like this.
  13. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

-Mike
    Welcome back, Mike. Glad you are safe. Nice flooring!

14. HolaDR

HolaDR New Member

Hello all,

Long time lurker, finally decided to see what all the fuss was about [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Managed to snag a pair of the cigar cap toes from DC. Inspected both boots and the leather looks excellent, but I did notice an issue with the welt on the outside of the left boot. Looks like they messed up the stitching and even missed a hole [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After paying over $800 for a pair of boots, part of me thinks that everything should be perfect. But I've felt this way about imperfections on other shoes before, and I can't even recall what they were at this point. I only see the messed stitching after close scrutiny, and I don't even notice them when the boots are on. And did I mention I absolutely love this shade?

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Welcome,

Thanks for deciding to chip in and pay-it-forward by finally posting some pics after soaking up all of our knowledge and using our intel to snipe hot make-ups out from under our noses!

I know there are more of you out there!

Just kidding. (but not really)

I guess its either lurk for a while, or post a bunch of newbie questions that have already be covered ad nauseam, so I actually appreciate it more than anything.

1 person likes this.
  16. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Hola and welcome! Congrats on your recent acquisition. Those are absolutely beautiful boots! I would honestly not worry too much about that welt line. Yes it does kind of stink, but it's not too bad or noticeable, particularly since it is on the side of the shoe. Enjoy them and keep the pictures coming as your grow your collections. PS, I lurked for a long time before I felt compelled to engage in the conversation. I also wanted to build up my knowledge base... So I understand the lurking concept. -Mike

1 person likes this.
  17. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Quote:Welcome aboard! That's one hell of a nice score for your first Aldens!

The imperfection on the left shoe is unfortunate, but not overly obvious. I wouldn't worry too much about it because, as you know from lurking, you likely won't get another shot at this pair anytime soon. Besides, they are bound to get dinged and scraped eventually.

I was also fortunate to receive a pair of those yesterday. I accidentally put a scrape on mine last night right in the middle of the left cap toe by being too aggressive with my brushing. The wooden portion of the brush scraped against the shoe. I started freaking out and showed my wife the scrape. She shrugged her shoulders and said "Oh well, it was going to happen eventually. Better to get it out of the way now." She was right about that, and most other things too!

Enjoy.

18. chewbocka

chewbocka Well-Known Member

I had that same issue on a pair of ravello chukkas and eventually returned them. Couldn't get over it.

19. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

Alden's quality control is lacking. And this might sound ignorant, but Leffot posted a video of them at the Alden factory. The employees there who work on the shoes look like they only buy square toe dress shoes at DSW when there is a wedding coming up. The women who work there look like the type that thinks anything over 100 on a shoe is a rip off. They likely don't even like any of the shoes they make. When you look at a Crockett & Jones factory video, the employees seem more sophisticated and more the type who enjoy high end shoes, and I think that plays a role in C&J just being better than Alden.

The stitching is unacceptable and I would get it exchanged or returned.

20. thams

thams Senior member

You're right that does sound ignorant.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.