• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

whew.. who had the chukkas? I'm glad I scored PTB and LWB last week. my wallet would have strangled me if I grabbed chukkas too

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chukka...Alden DC. It was a limited shipment as some common sizes weren't even included.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chukka...Alden DC. It was a limited shipment as some common sizes weren't even included.

shiit i was even in there to pick up the PTBs
rotflmao.gif

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

jaredboyd

Reaction score
FYI Unionmade just got in a brown chromexcel PTB with blind eyelets and 360 welt.

100 yrs

Reaction score
just for kicks i called alden sf to ask about the possibility of getting a makeup on an A/D as opposed to B/D. no dice. i also asked which lasts have the most narrow heel, explaining my struggles with the barrie last and the answer was "just about any one except the barrie, you'd probably want to avoid that." lol.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

Thanks! A nice pic...

I wish I took a close up pic of my snuff chukkas.
After 2 years I finally bought a suede brush and gave them a good brushing and wiped them down with a bit of water. Then I hit the welting and heels with a little sapphir reno :slayer:
They look like new boots.
Can't say enough of the quality of Alden suede, really good stuff.

chrisefi

Reaction score
Looking to pick up my first pair of Alden's this week. I really like wingtips/longwings/brogues. What do people think about these?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/oxfords/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp

Are these good for fall? I guess I can get away with wearing them with Chino's or Jeans? Are they too informal for black pants?

What do people think about wearing these a few times a week? How do they hold up? What sort of leather cleaner or protectant to use?

Do people hear ever rock custom colored laces?

So many questions - but Alden makes amazing looking shoes and I hear the quality is worth the prices for Cordovan. I'm assuming the JCrew LWB's are Cordovan?

Is there a color chart? I keep seeing Color 4, Color 8, etc.

Sorry for all the noob questions.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to pick up my first pair of Alden's this week. I really like wingtips/longwings/brogues. What do people think about these?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/oxfords/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp

Are these good for fall? I guess I can get away with wearing them with Chino's or Jeans? Are they too informal for black pants?

What do people think about wearing these a few times a week? How do they hold up? What sort of leather cleaner or protectant to use?

Do people hear ever rock custom colored laces?

So many questions - but Alden makes amazing looking shoes and I hear the quality is worth the prices for Cordovan. I'm assuming the JCrew LWB's are Cordovan?

Is there a color chart? I keep seeing Color 4, Color 8, etc.

Sorry for all the noob questions.

those arent cordovan, just calf (i believe), but definitely not cordovan.

if you like that color, you might be able to score a cordovan pair (ravello) from the DC alden location, albeit for a couple hundred more $$$

wouldnt wear that pair you linked with black at all, personally.

color laces are up to you. some do, some dont. i use the OEM laces, or swap for similar color, but different texture (flat waxed etc).

never seen a color chart, but google each alden shade will help

color 4
color 8
whiskey
ravello
cigar
black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads