1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Looking great.
    Hope it gave you the boost in the presentation.

1 person likes this.
  2. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Partaking in a little Whiskey this Wednesday..

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Color 4 boots are now at over $1,500 on ebay.

4. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

What I find even crazier is that his cigar jumper's are now over the $1,000 mark too. At these types of prices I'm having trouble justifying not unloading a few pairs.

5. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Thank you ironclad. Sadly, we have wild fires every year. My house, family, and shoes are far from the fires. We expect temperatures to be around 100 for the next couple of days, shorts and suede Aldens to work.
    Sweet whiskey and combo sir. :slayer:

6. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Make me want to put my cigar and ravello boots on ebay. I can live without them for that kind of money.

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Maybe a lot of people are just not willing to plunk down that sorta cash anymore. I'm sure a lot of people on that list are "normal" customers, not on this forum and may not be addicts like us....

8. thams

thams Senior member

Quote:Makes me wondering what I could get for the Alden DC cigar boots. I doubt they would go for as much as the Jumpers since they're a bit more common...but still. I won't sell them because they are my favorite pair of Aldens, but I still wonder.

9. thams

thams Senior member

Quote:Pure speculation on my part, but I think a lot of people put their names on lists for the "just in case I need these when the time comes" scenario - especially because Alden DC doens't require any form of payment up front. Kathy said there are fair amount of people on lists that she contacts, but never hears from. I think there's just a lag time from people not responding when going through the names.

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ Makes sense to me.

11. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

For the more common styles. Captoes and Indy's in Cigar. Youd get around retail prices for used boots. The only reason those are so high is cause they are jumpers.

12. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

I have a feeling we'll be seeing some interesting stuff on ebay over the next few weeks.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I can understand when people individually pass on a shoe for which they added themselves to a list, but I am surprised by the perceived aggregate amount of people that are passing on the DC Cigar Captoes. If I was them, and it is really as rampant as it seems, I would just stop doing the lists all together.

Seems like too much trouble keeping track of everything when so many people end up passing.

Either that, or I'd start taking a non-refunable deposit. Or not let people that have passed previously get on future lists.

Maybe they don't mind, but I'd be annoyed if someone asked me to make a promise that I didn't have to make, and then they later declined the very thing that they asked me to promise them.

Again, I understand it at the individual level. Might be bad timing financially, or so much time passed since you added your name and things have changed, ect. But when I commit to something, I always follow through, barring extreme circumstances.

14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

This would be my only reasoning that I'd find justifiable. just my .02

1 person likes this.
  16. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Good points but it's not - and I'm not alone in saying this - like they were very good in honoring the list. From my perspective the deposit might be nice in incentivizing them to honor the list. Works both ways.

1 person likes this.
  17. thams

thams Senior member

Quote:I agree with this for the most part. However, Kathy makes it clear that there is no obligation whatsoever to purchase the shoes once you place your name on the list. If maintaining a voluntary list is difficult or annoying for them, then they should change their policy. When I've placed my name on lists in the past, Kathy always reminds me that there is no pressure to purchase the shoes/boots when they arrive.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I think Leffot's is one of the better methods. You pay your 20% and you know the run is being made.
    These lists are just for shoes that may get made someday. Of course there will be a ton of names on there. People keep buying in the mean time and once the two years passes and the boots get made a lot less people are interested.

1 person likes this.
  19. unipair guy

unipair guy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So you are saying I should sell my #4 ? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  20. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Why do jumpers have to be so cool? And IMHO, Cigar is the best color for them. I'm glad to see them going for over $1k. I hung in there until ~$650 before tapping out. In the event I can ever get a new pair, I'd rather go that route. Who knows what will happen down the road with shell allocation? From what I gather, the demand from OE automakers aren't making it easy for Alden to get shell in the colors that we'd all like to see.

With that being said... Does anyone else not really feel that strongly about Color 4? I get that they're super rare at this point, but the whole "oxblood" boot color would probably never get worn by me. I guess they're going to a collector to just have them on their kill list for that price?

Cigar > Color 8 > Ravello > Color 4 > Whiskey, in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.