1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

I think I figured out what I'm looking for. Does anyone make a snuff, brown or chocolate suede Indy shoe? This is a great alternative to a boot since it's going to be warmer weather. Do they exist?

2. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I really like the Marlow wingtips and I'm not usually a shortwings person. Having said that, there is no better all-around, more stylish shoe than the Alden 975 in color 8 IMO. Got nothing to do with being on an Alden forum, just a fact in my mind.

3. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

hmmm I dunno If I have ever seen a choco suede indy shoe.

Leather Soul does V-tip shoes like these:
    [​IMG]

Or you could get an moc toe like these:
    [​IMG]

Edit: Add one more to this list that I know is actually available right now. JGilbert has a reverse tobacco chamois on a oiled waterloc sole.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I personally wouldn't buy any Ralph Lauren on eBay for a while. They feel "hot" to me, since a good bit of the stuff being sold was purchased unethically using the leaked employee coupon code. Just my personal stance, though many see it differently, and that's cool.

5. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

J Gilbert has an indy shoe - either dark suede or rough chamis, if I remember right. Leffot has indy shoes in blue suede and milk shade suede ( an off white) and, I think, in natural chromexel. Haberdash in Chicago also has the milkshake suede Indy shoe. I think Tassels in Hong Kong stocks a suede Indy Shoe as well.

You may also want to consider for a similar look the mocassin in blucher - I don't know if that is the tight name, but the shoe looks like the Lhs loafer, but it secures with laces. Alden NY has that model in color 8 cordovan and a number of other retailers - Unipair in Seoul particularly comes to mind- offer it in cordovan, CXL and suede.

6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Amen

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

8. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

I will express the opposite position. I think Marlow wingtips are excellent and preferable. I am not a long wing person at all. I know they represent classic American blucher - Alden styling, and they are definitely best in color #8. However, there is something about the lwb's appearance I find clunky and unattractive. I recognize this belief is blasphemous to many here. Alden makes decent shoes, but for me the proportions of lwbs are lacking. Alden's short wing blucher, or better yet, their proper wing tip oxford, looks better than the lwb to me. But I would still choose the Marlow design. Many of Alden's lasts are chunky when compared to more streamlined English shoe lasts.

9. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Except Trickers and Grenson. Their shoes look amazing but their lasts seem chunkier than Alden's.

I wish the Marlow SW came in a lighter shade of shell. I may still score a pair.

10. Kevk

Kevk Well-Known Member

If you can get the Marlows on sale, it's a no brainer. I'm an Alden fan with 20 plus pairs in my rotation, great boots but there are some better options when it comes to shoes, like the wingtip Marlow.

I'd like to hear some opinions on C&J's dark brown cordovan vs Aldens cigar.

How many of you guys out there have the wingtip Marlow,the penny loafer or the tassel loafer by C&J and have the same style in
    by Alden in cigar?

11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

12. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

deleted

13. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

I find the 975 more versatile for MY needs.
    975 is a casual shoe which can be dressed up.
    Marlow is a great formal shoe. It doesn't work with casual attire for me.

14. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Marlow on sale through RL? How much discount typically ?

$850 is pretty steep (retail).

15. Byron Perez

Byron Perez Well-Known Member

Gratitude, my friend. :)

I'm already looking forward to my next pair of Aldens. Haha!

-Byron

16. ReppTiePrepster

Proceed with caution, friend. This is a road from which one does not turn back! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

That is interesting, @MrDV. For you, what makes the 975 more suitable for casual wear over the Marlow? Color? Shape?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

+1,000,000

1 person likes this.
  19. ReppTiePrepster

20. Byron Perez

Byron Perez Well-Known Member

Haha! Thanks for the advice. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.