***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

This pair looks great and telling from the rolls (or lack thereof) fits you very well. The unlined PTB might be Alden's sleekest sleek shoe and frankly I don't think it could possible be made on the same Barrie last above.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Sazon: I too think sometimes the Barrie last does it a little injustice. I feel this way especially when I look at my #8 PT Boots on the Plaza (wearing today).

I own this boot. IMO, it is probably the single best Alden model to show off the character and qualities of color 8 shell.

3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

+1 SFTG, #team plaza last.

4. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Alcibiades I can see this. I'm only 5'6" so the PTB on the Barrie can look like well made clown shoes on my foot. That's why I enjoy the LW more.

5. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

being an E width in the PTB as well, I also get the "this seems really wide" - and it is quite surprising how the same Barrie size in a high boot doesn't give me this feeling - i don't know about the chukka but i suspect it would also look quite wide. I would love to be able to easily try going up half a size and down a width - 8E -> 8.5C as i suspect the 8.5 would be slightly longer and slightly narrower - i would love one of those more experienced in this thread could add their thoughts to this as i might take a gamble with the C width at some point in the future.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

6. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

While not an expert, I can share my personal experience going up a half size and down a width in the 990 Barrie PTB when I was in the store. The length felt so much larger, I knew immediately it wouldnt work for me. I know that doesn't completely answer your question down 2 widths, but I'm glad I didn't go any larger.

7. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Alcibiades, I think you've got the right shoes on your feet. We shell aficionados tend to be our own biggest critics. We hem and haw over the most inane minutia concerning our footwear. My only question is that when your walking, and not looking at your shoes(yes me too), do your feet say they're happy or unhappy? If it's the former the only thing people are going to say is, "Hey, nice shoes". Wear them in the best of health my friend.

8. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

9. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

thanks.
    i would be interested to know the length difference between a 8.5D and a 8.5C

10. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Source for ptb's in mocha kid suede? I have just recently figured out how nice that stuff is. Bought tassel loafers from Brooks and nst's from NRO

Tassels and NST and maybe loafers are the only stock make-up for mocha kis suede. I think Leather Soul did have a special make-up done around 2007. I would love to get the 4X4 Nassau done in mocha kid suede - to get that shoe or a plain toe derby is above my Ravello desire

11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

^^^^ Nicely done MrDV. I haven't seen many cigar LWBs with a dark brown welt and edge. Is this pair a few years old? Enjoy them often and in great health my friend!

13. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Alcibiades, I prefer a clunky Barrie last reverse welt PTB to the unlined chukka. I just don't care for how the unlined chukka looks on my feet. PTBs provide a much better fit.

14. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

It's Friday and my Ranger Moccs made it into the rotation yet again. Love the fit. Never thought I'd say that about the dreaded Van last. ('Dreaded' to me anyway, in the context of the LHS).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. green garden

green garden Senior member

I wear a 8C but can't go down to 7.5D (I entertained this because D is more available). The width is fine but my pinky and 4th toe hit the top edge of the shoe. Since you are going up in length, it may be OK. However since you are a 8E, I think 8.5C would be too narrow. I think 8.5D should be the equivalent width of the 8E. Besides, you don't want to looking for a C in the Barrie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.