***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Completely agree with everything said here. Part of my point as well is that given the high level of service and knowledge at DC I would think if it were egregious that they would have caught it. I know on past occasions they have refused to send me shoes in stock that they have found not up to spec.

At the end of the day though none of this really matters. It is up to the buyer and whether he wants to keep them or not. Pretty simple really.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

YES. You don't want regular burgundy shoe polish on your shell cordovan shoes. It will create a nasty film.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Having an internal debate about the 990. Everything about the shoe exudes class, it i well built, shows off the cordovan well, etc. But the shoe can look huge, especially in my e width

[​IMG]

To me, the proportions of the unlined PTB look more balanced, especially with thinner wool pants. These PTB would look OK with chinos or heaver flannel or denim... But to me a similar chukka would look even better. So in the battle of the plain toe, it would seem that for me 990 would be behind the unlined and the chukka... Thoughts?

4. irbe

irbe Senior member

Well the brush I use for my shell 8 which I will condition with VSC, I use for my indy (CXL use VSC) and Paul Smith (Calf, use reno)

5. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Rishi K, excellent gunboats & great combo.

6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

I agree.
    I would want to keep the ravello chukkas and rationalize with "shell character" and "shoes not rembrandts" but in this case, the color difference is too much.
    I do have boots with different shades of shell and I like them. in this case the large pieces of chukka shell are less forgiving. Nothing's breaking it up, the difference seems more obvious.
    I did return cigar Indys because the colors didn't match to my satisfaction. That was over a year ago, and I still haven't found cigar boots.
    For what it's worth I would send them to alden to see if they could fix the color.

7. brp2

brp2 Senior member

All: I appreciate the comments and advice. Since these chukkas were brand new arrivals, I think the following happened: (1) DC got a short run of Ravello chukkas in a week after the LWBs, so they were brand new; (2) they happened to have one in my size, so I ordered it immediately; (3) Joe only looked at the shoe to confirm for me that it was the darker Ravello, and that the edge trim was not antique. So, no aspersions on Alden DC here and absolutely no chance one shoe got sun damaged.

As for how they left the factory looking so mismatched, I'm still willing to give Alden the benefit of the doubt. In certain light conditions the shoes don't look too far off from each other.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Maybe Alden makes all their shoes outside :happy:

9. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Man, I wish the mobile version allowed me to use emoticons.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I agree!
    I guess if you could memorize the ones you use most you could just type out the code.
    :xxxx:
    :happy: = colon happy colon (no spaces)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

11. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I can't speak to the unlined PTB as I have never tried them. However, I am not much of a fan of the chukka (except for the 6 eyelet version). While I understand your perspective regarding your E width, I still hold the 990 in higher regard than the chukka. You and others here may disagree with me, but that's perfectly fine. It's mjust my preference.

p.s. I think your 990s look great, but they could use some Mac love. [​IMG] Enjoy your PTBs often and in great health, my friend...

12. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Thank you very much Sir.

13. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Thank you very much RTP.

14. sazon

sazon Senior member

I agree with you on the classiness of the shoe. It is the first Alden I ever wanted to buy, from years and years back.

I too think sometimes the Barrie last does it a little injustice. I feel this way especially when I look at my #8 PT Boots on the Plaza (wearing today).

But be that as it may, I would never part with them, or trade them for a chukka or single soled version. I would regret that for sure.

(these are photographing really poor today.)
    [​IMG]

15. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

just in time for Chicago F/W..I would have preferred additional brogueing around the heel but again it is hard to find 6.5 Barrie in Commando sole, and this color which I prefer...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.